Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:23 pm

Author Topic: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.  (Read 28363 times)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 02:37:17 pm »
+11
Soooo the tight-muscled idiot is back with some news. While folding laundry, I broke my back.
Jk I didn't exactly break my back, but I did pop a joint connecting my rib to my vertebrae (a costovertebral joint) so after being super sick all of last week and not going for a single run, I've spent this week eating pain meds and trying not to do it again because it HURT and I am so tired of being IN PAIN and not able to do what I WANT with MY LIFE

Anywaaayyyyssss so just saying I'll probably be out of action till at least next week because I can't flipping move and my back is taped so uh yep hope ur well bye
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2020, 02:40:43 pm »
+4
Soooo the tight-muscled idiot is back with some news. While folding laundry, I broke my back.
Jk I didn't exactly break my back, but I did pop a joint connecting my rib to my vertebrae (a costovertebral joint) so after being super sick all of last week and not going for a single run, I've spent this week eating pain meds and trying not to do it again because it HURT and I am so tired of being IN PAIN and not able to do what I WANT with MY LIFE

Anywaaayyyyssss so just saying I'll probably be out of action till at least next week because I can't flipping move and my back is taped so uh yep hope ur well bye
Oh no! I hope you get better soon. :(
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 01:53:28 pm »
+8
Oh no! I hope you get better soon. :(
Your hope worked! Thank you! <3

Thanks to the care of my amazing physio and my uncanny ability to imitate a potato for days on end, my back is almost completely better and I got back to running yesterday! Did a 45 minute walk/jog session around my area in the rain and it actually felt great. I've been feeling so messy and broken and the run was a little bit of a release. Crying in the rain means nobody notices the tears, right?

Today I was meant to have a Pilates session but my physio and I weren't sure how my back would hold up so forgot to reschedule. I'll be doing some at-home exercises instead and make sure I do some proper stretching. One of the side effects of my increased anxiety is shakiness so some exercises are harder to do because I can't hold myself properly.

As for the rest of the week:
Thursday: 8-10 x 1min w/ 2min shuffle/walk
Friday: Glute workout 2x10min
Saturday/Sunday: 45 min run w/ walks

I'm really keen to get back to squad training in the next 6-8 weeks as restrictions ease. It'll make it a lot easier to get outside and push myself, and I'll be able to run with a few others for the first time since July. Granted, it won't be the same - but it'll be something more to live for, and honestly I need all the motivation I can get right now.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2020, 11:59:08 am »
+13
Hi people - It's Monday. Which means a new weekly running plaaaannnn!!

Last week (Including yesterday) was actually a great running week for me. My illness was somewhat reduced and my sore spots gave me a break. I managed to complete every session and overall did about 16.6kms. In the next two weeks let's hope I can crack 20kms again! It feels like forever since I've had a consistent schedule. I'm well overdue for a sense of achievement.

Today is a workout day. I'll make sure to do plenty of stretching along with the exercises as my right hip flexor has decided it's sore today and I need to appease it. The rest of the week is a little bit up in the air as it looks like I'll be staying at a recovery home for 10-14 days and I'm not entirely sure if I'll be confident enough to get out and run - but I'll pop in the plan anyway.

Monday: S&C session, stretching and rolling
Tuesday: 5x2min w/ 1min shuffle/walk, 5x30s w/ 90s rest. (30 second efforts are fast-paced sprints. Rest means standing rest rather than walking. It's times like these I wish I could do a track session!)
Wednesday: Clinical pilates/circuit training
Thursday: 8-10x1min w/ 2min shuffle/walk
Friday: Rest
Saturday/Sunday: Easy 40-45min, include walks

Really hoping to pick up the pace and work on my form, endurance and SPEED before competitions return in November! I've never competed before (outside of school sports because it was mandatory) and the butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it are
~r e a l~ but it's a huge goal to work towards and I'm going to do it no matter what.
Hope you're all doing okay - we'll get through this year just like every other.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2020, 09:08:15 pm »
+5
You've got this! <3 16.6kms is definitely impressive-all the best for 20kms!
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2020, 02:55:13 pm »
+10
And just when you thought I had it together with my last post--
I got myself hospitalised AGAIN and didn't run for like 2 weeks.
fjndfjvnvjcnsdk

Ngl I'm an extremely self-critical person, and I've been making it even more difficult for myself to get out and run by placing so much pressure on myself.  Telling myself things like 'I won't enjoy it', or fearing that I'll injure myself again and end up back at square one. As someone who's been at square one more than enough times already this year, it feels kind of useless to even try after a while. But I'm here again. Discharging from hospital tomorrow. And I've gotten back up.

My coach has still been placing sessions on a weekly schedule despite my commitment issues. So good thing is, when I decide to pick it back up there's always a plan waiting for me. And an understanding expert behind it to tell me just how bad I am at running! (jokes, he's lovely.)

This week:
Monday: S&C with stretching
Tuesday: 5 x 2min w/ 1min rest, 5 x 1min w/ 90s rest
Wednesday: Pilates @ 1pm
Thursday: 8-10 x 1min w/ 2min shuffle/walk
Friday: rest day
Saturday/Sunday: long run and S&C

Last week, Friday was my first run back - I did a 35 minute run/walk at a *very* gentle pace just to feel it out. Yesterday (Saturday) I accompanied Erutepa on his cruisey weekend run by cycling alongside and looking very professional in matching squad gear. Today (Sunday) I managed to go 7.2 kms in 49 minutes and was very happy that my first planned session back went so well! After that though, my body decided to go into a state of shock and I was shivering for a good hour. Let's hope that's not a sign of impending illness. The first Athletics Victoria race back is in a week, and although I'm not competing in this round I may enter the week after... A goal to work towards!!! :))

Anyway I'm off to help some nerds build me a gaming PC from scratch so I can get abused in gamer voice chats - my schedule hasn't been sent yet so I'll most likely edit in an updated plan. Love y'all <3
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:11:57 am by Poet »

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2020, 05:47:42 pm »
+9
uPDATE uPdAtE

I did alright last week! 17.6kms down. Tried all my sessions and felt okay! My Thursday session was a bust after getting absolutely WRECKED by a new Pilates instructor the day before, but I picked it back up on Saturday and managed a solid 50 minutes. I assessed my gait and I've definitely improved, but it looks like my right foot still flicks out a bit which would explain my tight calf muscle. So I'll be working on that till it's all good!

My body has been nice to me too, and I haven't been overly nauseous or dizzy for a while. I've also been able to eat more and I feel like I've gained at least a little bit of weight since I last checked - let's hope I can get to a healthy weight soon!

Anyway, here's what's on -

Monday: S&C
Tuesday: 4 x 3min w/ 1min shuffle/walk, 5 x 1min w/ 1min walk
Wednesday: Pilates @ 11am
Thursday: 10 x 1min w/ 2min shuffle/walk
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: 50-60min run w/ walks OR 3.2km time trial depending on where I am
Sunday: Stretching, rolling, etc.

Alrighty, that's all - and yes, I'm typing this up on my new PC :))

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2020, 05:57:25 pm »
+2
uPDATE uPdAtE

I did alright last week! 17.6kms down. Tried all my sessions and felt okay! My Thursday session was a bust after getting absolutely WRECKED by a new Pilates instructor the day before, but I picked it back up on Saturday and managed a solid 50 minutes. I assessed my gait and I've definitely improved, but it looks like my right foot still flicks out a bit which would explain my tight calf muscle. So I'll be working on that till it's all good!

My body has been nice to me too, and I haven't been overly nauseous or dizzy for a while. I've also been able to eat more and I feel like I've gained at least a little bit of weight since I last checked - let's hope I can get to a healthy weight soon!

Anyway, here's what's on -

Monday: S&C
Tuesday: 4 x 3min w/ 1min shuffle/walk, 5 x 1min w/ 1min walk
Wednesday: Pilates @ 11am
Thursday: 10 x 1min w/ 2min shuffle/walk
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: 50-60min run w/ walks OR 3.2km time trial depending on where I am
Sunday: Stretching, rolling, etc.

Alrighty, that's all - and yes, I'm typing this up on my new PC :))
Good job! :) :D
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2020, 08:58:40 pm »
+11
Good job! :) :D
ty!!

Hiiii it's Monday again really fast idk how there's suddenly like 3 days in a week but there you go

Okay I've been trying to do this all day but keep crying and closing the tab like an idiot so let's see if we can SPEEDRUN this shit

Last week went well, once again reaching a total of 17.6kms - weird how exact that is considering my schedule change up! My midweek sessions were super rough - Tuesday was absolute murder because of the final sprint efforts, then Thursday (which was, by the way, my first time back at the track since MARCH) was super hot, dry and windy and I was pretty sick so I only did 8 out of the 10 reps. Then on Saturday, I went to Princes Park with Erutepa and did my first 3km time trial!! My average pace was around 5:40/km which is decent, and a good pace considering my fitness level. My perfectionist-side would like consistent 5:30s but hey, something to work towards. Everyone in the squad is faster than me and it can be a little dejecting. But still nice to be part of something, and hold goals.

So this week:
Monday: S & C
Tuesday: 8x2min w/ 1min shuffle/walk, 5x1min w/ 1min walk rest
Wednesday: Pilates @ 10 or 11AM w/ Ben
Thursday (Track): 6 x 300m w/ 90sec rest
Friday: Rest
Saturday/Sunday: 50-60min cruisey run

Aaand think that's it? Hot dang we did it, fellas. This week's schedule is starting to really pick up the pace and I'm excited to see my progress. See you in a few days :))

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2020, 12:43:23 pm »
+12
NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME
I'm competing for the first time on Sunday!!! Round 1 of AVSL is offering hour slots to athletes who want to participate in track races of 60m or 600m, and field comps of long jump and shot put (I think?). Anyway, I'm gonna be racing in a 600m that afternoon and I'm insanely excited and nervous. If there's any photos I'll post them with my Sunday update. Eeeeeee!! Wish me luck!!!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2020, 02:24:43 pm »
+9
Good luck! Hope it goes well!!   :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2020, 03:17:22 pm »
+5
NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME NEWS TIME
I'm competing for the first time on Sunday!!! Round 1 of AVSL is offering hour slots to athletes who want to participate in track races of 60m or 600m, and field comps of long jump and shot put (I think?). Anyway, I'm gonna be racing in a 600m that afternoon and I'm insanely excited and nervous. If there's any photos I'll post them with my Sunday update. Eeeeeee!! Wish me luck!!!
good luck, hope you do really well and have fun!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2020, 03:37:20 pm »
+5

good luck Poet!! 60m sounds like my sort of distance haha

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2020, 07:57:48 pm »
+11
Good luck! Hope it goes well!!   :D
Thank you! And congrats on the green Ps! Welcome to the club ;)

good luck, hope you do really well and have fun!
Ty, it was fun!! <3

good luck Poet!! 60m sounds like my sort of distance haha
Ooft mood, 60m is such a teeny baby race, so little and cute uwu - I envy sprinters like nothing else

HI IT IS ME
THE ANXIETY OF TODAY WAS WILD SO I NEEDED A NAP BEFORE UPDATING SORRY
BUT
I did it!!!!!!!! I got there on time and got my racing numbers and stood on the track and ran like... a drunk sloth.

Nah jokes, I ran beyond any time I'd have imagined for myself and absolutely smashed my estimate of 3 minutes or so. My time was 2:10 for the 600m and I am trying to be very proud of myself for it.

I didn't know how heats worked and because of COVID there wasn't an official time-based setup, so when they called out people for heat 3 I was coerced into racing. I must look fitter than I am though, because I came dead last by about 100m and everyone else got times of sub-2 minutes. ::)
Turns out heats are raced from fastest to slowest, and so people in heat 4 were probably much closer to my level of competition. But that's something to learn for next time!

But the important thing here is that I did it. I did the biggest thing I've done in years. I cried, spent days before battling nausea and nightmares and my stupid brain. But I got up, drove out, warmed up, went through the gates, put on my racing numbers, and lined up. Because I am capable no matter what my mind tells me.

My next comp will likely be run in 2 weeks' time as this weekend I'll be in NSW. But I'll keep up the training and hopefully beat my time soon!!

ALSO MY COACH SAID HE'S PROUD OF ME AND SAID HE THINKS I CAN RUN AN 800M AT SUB 2:50 SOON AAAAAA OKAY BYE

oh and I said if there were photos I'd share, there weren't any from track but I have a bad one from Princes Park lol sus the Nike rep

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2020, 08:08:21 pm »
+4
Yay Poet!! That's so awesome!! And so fast!! Also kudos for entering it to start with, it sounds pretty cool!!  ;D
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)