Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:56:05 am

Author Topic: Dropping from Eng to Science  (Read 596 times)  Share 

Azzzz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Dropping from Eng to Science
« on: March 19, 2019, 02:20:18 pm »
Hi all,

I am currently enrolled at Monash in commerce/engineering. My dream is to get into med or work in the medical field however, I thought I would like engineering. I completely missed the first two weeks of uni due to surgery. I was in extreme pain and had severe nausea thus I wasn't able to attend anything or learn any content. Now I have returned to uni and I feel so lost and stupid. The work they have set out doesn't look like anything I've ever covered. For my one commerce unit I'm starting to understand the material so it shouldn't take me long to catch up. However, with engineering I never had a true passion for it and I know it is a course you must be dedicated to. The surgery and all my missed hours has severely depleted my motivation to do well in engineering or even learn the content thus I don't feel like I'll pass at all.. I feel like I am much more suited to doing chem or subjects medical based in a course like science. Is there anyway for me to drop my eng course for a science course and keep commerce before the census date?
Any help and support would be greatly appreciated.
BCom - Monash

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
Re: Dropping from Eng to Science
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:47:01 pm »
+5
Hi! Worked in general student affairs related to yours (it's not specific for anonymity reasons) and I'd highly recommend applying for an intermission if your medical condition persists since you might not want to tarnish your results which would work against you if you want to enter med. What you can do now (since it's before the census date) is to withdraw from your engineering units and continue with commerce, and then apply for a mid-year transfer.
You might not want to waste your time with 1 subject this semester, but given the fact that you might not be able to enrol in other units anymore (due date was 15th of March), it could be your only viable choice (if you don't want to waste your WAM on Engineering). For a successful course transfer you have to complete 2 units, however, so you might want to continue with 1 eng and 1 comm unit and transfer during mid-year to science. Don't worry about not completing your science degree within 3-4 years since there are a variety of summer and winter units available to you.
There are a variety of Engineering workshops that'll help you at least pass the eng unit you might be doing (just don't do ENG1003 or 1005 and you'll be fine tbh) in the Hargrave-Andrew Library, you might wanna check them out (workshops include Back-on-Track sessions, to get you back on track obviously, academic writing and peer-assisted learning for ENG1001, 1002 and 1003). Of course, email your lecturers and tutors regarding your extraneous circumstances and they should be able to help you out. I'm so sorry for what you have gone through, and all the best!
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching