Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:03 am

Author Topic: Uni subject in year 12 at deakin uni?  (Read 4774 times)  Share 

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
Uni subject in year 12 at deakin uni?
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:26 pm »
Hey, so i applied for the deakin accelerate program for psychological science last year and i found out that i got accepted. i am in year 12 this year and apparently u can drop out one vce 3/4 subject if u undertake the uni subject. so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to drop one of my vce 3/4 subjects, which is bus management (b/c i havent done unit 1 and 2 and am thinking doing unit 3 and 4 might be a risky choice) and undertake a uni subject in replacement. is a psychological science in deakin as a year 12 student hard or easy???? pls share y'all thoughts plz

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
Re: Uni subject in year 12 at deakin uni?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:34:10 pm »
+3
Hey, so i applied for the deakin accelerate program for psychological science last year and i found out that i got accepted. i am in year 12 this year and apparently u can drop out one vce 3/4 subject if u undertake the uni subject. so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to drop one of my vce 3/4 subjects, which is bus management (b/c i havent done unit 1 and 2 and am thinking doing unit 3 and 4 might be a risky choice) and undertake a uni subject in replacement. is a psychological science in deakin as a year 12 student hard or easy???? pls share y'all thoughts plz

Hi! I completed Deakin Accelerate Psych last year and received a 90.5% average. I only did three other subjects alongside it and I'd say that was more than enough in terms of workload (admittedly my VCE subjects were pretty intense). There will be a few weeks at the start of the year where the uni term hasn't started yet and you will have loads of spare time but when you have a uni assignment due the same week as 3 SACs, you'll probably be glad not to be doing another subject.
In terms of difficulty, it depends. The content side of things is not too bad if you've already completed VCE psychology so the quizzes/exams aren't super hard if you study for them. There was some statistics stuff that I found a bit tricky considering I'm not a maths person but there wasn't that much of it. However, the assignments are very tricky if you've never anything like it before: there's one where you have to find about 15 academic journal articles (very dense science) and structure an argument using them. The lab report wasn't that easy either. I received 83 and 80 on these tasks but I was someone who was used to getting high 90s on every single VCE psych SAC.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining though - it was incredibly rewarding and I'm sure I'm better prepared for uni as a result. My main advice would be not to prioritise it. Remember that, however many subjects you do, it's only going to be a 10% increment on your ATAR.

Hope this helps!
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:06:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice and assurance!

Congrats on your 5.0 in deakin uni psych btw!!! I have 4 vce subjects (along with the vce extension program) so i guess it will be more harder for me-coz u only had to do 3 subjects. but i jus hope that the assignments are doable and not that hard that i have to spend lots of hours on it, coz i dont want to neglect my vce subjects....i am so scared for year 1222 dammnnnn....

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:59:57 pm »
+2
Thanks for the advice and assurance!

Congrats on your 5.0 in deakin uni psych btw!!! I have 4 vce subjects (along with the vce extension program) so i guess it will be more harder for me-coz u only had to do 3 subjects. but i jus hope that the assignments are doable and not that hard that i have to spend lots of hours on it, coz i dont want to neglect my vce subjects....i am so scared for year 1222 dammnnnn....

Thanks :) I wouldn't be too scared if I were you, it will be fine if you're organised and there's always the online discussion boards where you can ask questions. I was lucky I only did 3 subjects but that was because I did two subjects early. I think most people do 4 plus the extension study so it must be doable.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy it but worst case scenario you just don't study as much as you might like for Deakin. The exams are multiple choice so you should at least get good scores on them! Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!