Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:59:01 pm

Author Topic: university questions  (Read 2871 times)

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
university questions
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:55:11 pm »
Hey everyone
since my school's career's department is a little useless I thought I would ask some questions here.
A little background info...doing hsc this year interested in studying a more general science degree probably adv science depends on my atar also interested in psyc and optical.

Can anyone tell me what an honor's degree is. From my understanding its an extra year of study after finishing your bachelor's degree correct? I'm a little confused because some unis are listing atar cutoffs for them. I'm assuming that some unis offer honors standalone and some with the bachelors degree?

more specifically interested in....pretty sure I would qualify as a high school leaver?
https://www.science.unsw.edu.au/future-students/our-degrees/undergraduate/degrees/advanced-science-honours

also anyone have any idea what the bachelor of advanced studies is about at usyd. They seem to be offering adv science with it. Read a little bit about it but seems more like a marketing ploy...let's be real universities are more like economic institutions these days and I don't want to be paying off for a degree that isn't worth it.
get me out of here

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: university questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 01:51:11 pm »
+5
Can anyone tell me what an honor's degree is. From my understanding its an extra year of study after finishing your bachelor's degree correct? I'm a little confused because some unis are listing atar cutoffs for them. I'm assuming that some unis offer honors standalone and some with the bachelors degree?
An Honours degree involves an independent research project (under the guidance of a supervisor) in a specific area relevant to the degree. This allows you to take a look at a specific area of interest you may have been exposed to in your main degree. Whether or not Honours is offered standalone or as part of a 'main degree' is indeed dependent on the university, as well as the course.

Bachelor degrees that have an Honours (inclusive) component will generally involve some form of research project, usually in your final year. To gain an (Honours) award, you'll generally need to fulfil certain requirements, such as maintaining a certain grade throughout your degree, etc.

Many choose to undertake an Honours year as a pathway to a PhD, to explore an area of interest, or even to boost their resume (since an Honours year will demonstrate your time management ability, independence, etc.). There's probably other reasons as well, but these are ones I am familiar with  :P

Hope this helps  :)

VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 09:20:55 pm »
Thanks VanillaRice!  :)
Would u happen to know anything about double majors?
anything like the workload or if its actually possible. stuck between doing optometry, and psych or maybe neuro.
get me out of here

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »
+5
Thanks VanillaRice!  :)
Would u happen to know anything about double majors?
anything like the workload or if its actually possible. stuck between doing optometry, and psych or maybe neuro.
Double majors are the same amount of work as a degree with a single major.

A standard undergrad = 24 subjects (8 per year for three years)
A major = 8 subjects in the same discipline (I.., organic chemistry)
A minor = 4 subjects in the same discipline
Assorted electives = 12 subjects in random disciplines

A double major just means you take some electives (4, to be exact) and put them on top of your minor. It means you study more of the same things - it doesn't mean you study MORE!

✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

michelleh

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:38:10 am »
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what are some tips to choose uni courses through UAC wisely? There are 5 choices now, since they cut down from 9 spots.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:45:27 am »
+2
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what are some tips to choose uni courses through UAC wisely? There are 5 choices now, since they cut down from 9 spots.

Hi! From my understanding, you could add/change your preferences after your ATAR is released due to the cut-back, slightly more flexible than last year's process. With that being said, consider factors such as the units being studied within a course that you may wish to take, and the flexibility of doing internal transfers (this is more common than you think!)

Edit: imo, have a "reach" course, 2 "should be able to" courses, and 2 "back-up" courses (related to your areas of interest)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:51:08 am by 13cheungjn1 »
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:04:25 am »
+4
Our bio lecturer Maddie studies Advanced Science and Law at UNSW. She wrote about it here and it might be interesting for you to read :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:22:01 am »
+4
Hey everyone!

Hey! Here are a couple of useful guides:

- Choosing a university
- Choosing a Degree

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:26:29 am »
+3
Hey everyone!

research. research is SO important! if you haven't already, check out every course a uni has to offer, then write down the ones that seem most interesting to you, and look at alternatives in other unis. also, transferring is quite common, so don't be too worried if you don't get your desired course. good luck!! choosing courses was quite a surreal experience because adulting seems so far away and doing this made it feel closer 😂😭😭
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 05:00:06 pm »
Hey guys, so I had applied for early entry at ACU and received an email a few days ago that I got a conditional offer saying that I had to get a certain ATAR (lower than the usual requirement), pass English and have the course at the top of my preference list... I guess I'm interested to know if all early offers are conditional such as mine, should I apply for more early entry schemes, and is ACU a good university? Thanks!! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:03:16 pm by phebsh »
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 05:37:37 pm »
+1
Hey guys, so I had applied for early entry at ACU and received an email a few days ago that I got a conditional offer saying that I had to get a certain ATAR (lower than the usual requirement), pass English and have the course at the top of my preference list... I guess I'm interested to know if all early offers are conditional such as mine, should I apply for more early entry schemes, and is ACU a good university? Thanks!! :)
Hi there! Im applying for E12 for Usyd but the conditions are just as you explained. Mine says u have to reach a certain atar that is usually lower than the usual. I'm not sure about the other unis but definitely apply to as many as possible. Usyd E12 ends 1 septemeber and u need ur principal's recommendation.
Hope this helps :)

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 05:42:51 pm »
Hi there! Im applying for E12 for Usyd but the conditions are just as you explained. Mine says u have to reach a certain atar that is usually lower than the usual. I'm not sure about the other unis but definitely apply to as many as possible. Usyd E12 ends 1 septemeber and u need ur principal's recommendation.
Hope this helps :)

Thanks! That sure does help because I wasn't sure if I had actually achieved anything haha
Do you know how/where I can find other uni early entry programs? Thank you again!!
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies