Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:07:32 pm

Author Topic: The Principles of Business Law (YOUR OPINION)?  (Read 6343 times)  Share 

90+FTW

The Principles of Business Law (YOUR OPINION)?
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:59:47 pm »
Hey,

I was just wondering if those who have completed in The Principles of Business Law could give me their advice? Or at least tell me what they thought about it? Did you PERSONALLY find it easy, a nuisance, boring, interesting or difficult etc? Do you need to dedicate A LOT of time to this subject? This is particularly concerning, since I'll be in hospital quite a lot this semester :(

Secondly, how exactly do e-tutorials work? I've never even heard of it until I enrolled in this subject.

It's important that I understand this now, so your opinion is greatly needed...and appreciated :)

Thank you for you kindness.

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +9
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: The Principles of Business Law (YOUR OPINION)?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
+2
Hey,

I was just wondering if those who have completed in The Principles of Business Law could give me their advice? Or at least tell me what they thought about it? Did you PERSONALLY find it easy, a nuisance, boring, interesting or difficult etc? Do you need to dedicate A LOT of time to this subject? This is particularly concerning, since I'll be in hospital quite a lot this semester :(

Secondly, how exactly do e-tutorials work? I've never even heard of it until I enrolled in this subject.

It's important that I understand this now, so your opinion is greatly needed...and appreciated :)

Thank you for you kindness.

Have a read of the subject reviews page. There have been a few reviews of PBL already.

To answer your questions directly though:
- It's a good subject. The lecturer is very engaging and knowledgeable and has very clear explanations. Lectures are not recorded though so make sure you can attend them.

- E-Tutorials work through a program that you install from a CD included in the textbook. It has sections for you to read, and then MC questions afterwards to apply your learning. These take a while if you want to be thorough.

- When I did this subject last year, I spent a fair amount of time learning the cases. I heard this year the subject changed and you are now allowed a 'cheatsheet'. However, I dont know how the rest of the assessment has changed, so it may have become more difficult in other aspects which may or may not demand more of your time.

Hope this helps and good luck.

90+FTW

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »
^ Ah thank you. Yes, I understand we have a cheat for the exam - but there are so many cases to learn...which is always fun. I thought Latin was quite demanding (assessments every single week, sometimes even double) so hopefully this will be less? I'm glad that it's engaging though :)

These questions on the e-tutorial...they're not assessed are they? Pretty sure they're not, but just to be sure.

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »
+1
^ Ah thank you. Yes, I understand we have a cheat for the exam - but there are so many cases to learn...which is always fun. I thought Latin was quite demanding (assessments every single week, sometimes even double) so hopefully this will be less? I'm glad that it's engaging though :)

These questions on the e-tutorial...they're not assessed are they? Pretty sure they're not, but just to be sure.

The e-tutorials arent assessed.

90+FTW

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »
@Seinfeld: Sure, but there are A LOT of cases after that and I have to take hospital into consideration. If I didn't have to go to hospital regularly this semester, then I'd be laughing. 

As long as I maintain my 90+ average, I'm good (no mental breakdowns - and I'm not exaggerating when I say "mental breakdown")

Nevertheless, you've all been super helpful. 1+ to you all.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:58:24 pm by 90+FTW »

asianguy22

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:15:52 pm »
I personally hated it and found it boring. The online exam was tedious and extremely confusing. But im not a good student and my marks are poor for all my subjects so make of this what you will

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
I'll be attending the Wednesday lecture on my own volition to see whether law is a good fit for me or not. Does this book have a reader or anything?
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

aaackk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:40:13 pm »
yea theres a textbook

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:49:06 pm »
The first couple of weeks is pretty boring stuff and mainly acts as a refresher for year 12 legal. I'm up to chapter 9 in the textbook and there are a lot of cases to learn. IMO you'd be better off sneaking into an JD lecture to get a feel for it (or just watch some lectures online)

Yeah could be a good idea. I'll have a look at some corp law classes and see what it's like. Cheers for the tip.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

90+FTW

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:00 pm »
I'll be attending the Wednesday lecture on my own volition to see whether law is a good fit for me or not.

The first few weeks are incredibly similar to legal studies (I've known this from the get go). I would personally attend all the optional workshops. It might seem pointless in the beginning but they'll help to consolidate whether you're suited for the subject, and if you are struggling, then it will provide you with the necessary help :) Maximise your opportunities!

I should also mention that PBL is nothing like "actual" Law.  Multiple choice questions, open book? This is child's play compared to the real thing BUT it definitely seems fun!!! ENJOY this subject! I have a kind LSAT tutor who has given me a range of Law related questions and essays to complete in order to experience a taste of real law. I'd confidently say it's completely different. Still, if you're interested in the very basics, then go for it :D
(thank you to the people who personally contacted me and gave me their full opinion! It has helped)

I do have a question for those who HAVE completed the subject. I was under the impression that the PBL exam was conducted "in person" not "online." Could someone please clarify this for me, I'd be very thankful :)

Hancock

Does this book have a reader or anything?

There's only a textbook with prescribed chapters that we have to complete every week :)
Not as daunting as I initially believed (finally got my hands on the book, it's a walk in the park)
You'll be great :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:17:02 pm by 90+FTW »