Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:41:54 am

Author Topic: Didn't get the ATAR for Access Melbourne/Monash guarantee?  (Read 11604 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Didn't get the ATAR for Access Melbourne/Monash guarantee?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2019, 10:19:18 am »
+2
Hey!
Just bumping this thread from last year because I'm sure there'll be people with the same concerns this year!
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

darthnucleus

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 10:58:49 am »
Can I still get into the bachelor of science being under the guaranteed score even if I didn’t meet one of the prerequisites by .13?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 11:00:31 am »
+2
Can I still get into the bachelor of science being under the guaranteed score even if I didn’t meet one of the prerequisites by .13?
prerequisites are much more robust than ATAR requirements. So it makes it much harder to get into the course - I would try to get in touch with the uni and ask whether there is anything such as a bridging course that you could do to satisfy that prerequisite.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 11:02:35 am »
+3
Do you mean a study score prerequisite? These are generally fixed and don't have flexibility, however they use the raw score not scaled, so you shouldn't be out by a decimal (which may be good news if its a subject that scales down, or bad news if its one that scales up).
I have heard third hand stories of people getting in without meeting subject prerequisites, however it is unlikely and you should consider a bridging course or doing a different degree and transferring. However, still leave it in your preferences because otherwise you'll definitely have no chance of getting in.

darthnucleus

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 11:33:17 am »
Do you mean a study score prerequisite? These are generally fixed and don't have flexibility, however they use the raw score not scaled, so you shouldn't be out by a decimal (which may be good news if its a subject that scales down, or bad news if its one that scales up).
I have heard third hand stories of people getting in without meeting subject prerequisites, however it is unlikely and you should consider a bridging course or doing a different degree and transferring. However, still leave it in your preferences because otherwise you'll definitely have no chance of getting in.
Would the chance if this happening increase if I did well (35) in the GAT in the area where I struggled?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2019, 11:34:13 am »
+1
Would the chance if this happening increase if I did well (35) in the GAT in the area where I struggled?
The GAT is completely irrelevant except for getting a derived study score.

Arthurmorgan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2019, 12:09:03 pm »
I got an email saying I'm eligible Monash Guarantee and text from Melbourne saying that I'm eligible. I got an ATAR of 84.80 which is less than the Monash clearly-in for Science by 0.2. Am I still guaranteed an offer from Monash since I have met all the prerequisites and Monash Guarantee ATAR (75).

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2019, 12:20:51 pm »
I got an email saying I'm eligible Monash Guarantee and text from Melbourne saying that I'm eligible. I got an ATAR of 84.80 which is less than the Monash clearly-in for Science by 0.2. Am I still guaranteed an offer from Monash since I have met all the prerequisites and Monash Guarantee ATAR (75).
Yep. As you're eligible for the guarantee and got an atar over 75, you'll definitely get an offer (if it is the highest course on your preference list that you qualify for).

Arthurmorgan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2019, 12:24:44 pm »
Yep. As you're eligible for the guarantee and got an atar over 75, you'll definitely get an offer (if it is the highest course on your preference list that you qualify for).

Thanks, yep it is! Do you know if it is a first round offer; I'm guessing they intake all the people who achieved well above the ATAR first and then do the guaranteed people towards the end of the offer rounds?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:27:21 pm by Arthurmorgan »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 01:00:59 pm »
+2
Thanks, yep it is! Do you know if it is a first round offer; I'm guessing they intake all the people who achieved well above the ATAR first and then do the guaranteed people towards the end of the offer rounds?
It’ll be first round. Later round offers occur because some people don’t take their first offer. Say there’s 200 places in a course, in first round everyone guaranteed an offer & then the next X number of people with the highest selection rank will be offered a place. Say 50 people don’t accept those offers, in second round the next 50 people with the highest selection rank will be given an offer, which is why the number of people given offers reduces significantly between rounds. But that’s irrelevant for you haha, you’ll get an offer in December round 1 (the 18th).