Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:38:47 am

Author Topic: Didn't get the ATAR for Access Melbourne/Monash guarantee?  (Read 11717 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Didn't get the ATAR for Access Melbourne/Monash guarantee?
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:33:06 am »
+8
This has popped up a few times this morning, so I'm just going to make a thread - anyone else feel free to add anything I forget.

I didn't get the guaranteed ATAR! What now?

The guaranteed ATAR is just that - a guarantee. If you get that, then great! No need to worry - you'll get an offer. If you don't get the required ATAR, You can still get an offer. You're not guaranteed an offer, however Melbourne/Monash will still consider you (and your SEAS points) when giving out offers! So if you want to enrol in a course but missed out, then leave it in your preferences. You may still be given an offer in first round or subsequent rounds based on your selection rank (ATAR+SEAS+bonus points=selection rank).

It is worth considering including courses in your preference list that have a lower entry requirement in case you miss out, but don't remove a course that you want just because you don't think you'll get in!
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Didn't get the ATAR for Access Melbourne/Monash guarantee?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:39:11 am »
+1
Going to link to this into the OP of the After Year 12 Q + A thread. Thanks PF!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

ammeamme

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:56:56 pm »
What are my chances of getting into Melb Uni biomed with an atar of 92? (minimum atar is 95)
I'm ineligible for Access Melb but I did apply for SEAS category 1 and received the Monash Guarantee, which means I may still get SEAS points.

Should I change my first preference from biomed to science so that I can receive a definite first round offer (minimum atar for science is 85), accept it and then place biomed as my first pref to see if I get a second round offer? Or should I keep biomed as my first pref from the outset? I just don't want to deal with the anxiety of not getting a first round offer  :(

Sorry for asking for many questions, thanks for your help in advance!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:00:33 pm »
What are my chances of getting into Melb Uni biomed with an atar of 92? (minimum atar is 95)
I'm ineligible for Access Melb but I did apply for SEAS category 1 and received the Monash Guarantee, which means I may still get SEAS points.

Should I change my first preference from biomed to science so that I can receive a definite first round offer (minimum atar for science is 85), accept it and then place biomed as my first pref to see if I get a second round offer? Or should I keep biomed as my first pref from the outset? I just don't want to deal with the anxiety of not getting a first round offer  :(

nonono no.

Don't change your preferences. If you don't get round 1 unimelb biomed offer then VTAC will look at your next course and see if you can get that one (still in round one). Only put it higher on your preference list if you want to get into it more.

ammeamme

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:03:30 pm »
nonono no.

Don't change your preferences. If you don't get round 1 unimelb biomed offer then VTAC will look at your next course and see if you can get that one (still in round one). Only put it higher on your preference list if you want to get into it more.

Gotcha. Does placing science as my 2nd pref decrease my chances of getting into it during first round offers?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 02:04:40 pm »
+2

If you qualify for any of your preferences then you'll definitely receive a first round offer. That's the point of preferences.

Definitely don't need to apologise for asking questions, this is exactly the sort of things we want to clear up before preferences close :)

Gotcha. Does placing science as my 2nd pref decrease my chances of getting into it during first round offers?
The only way having it second would affect your chances of getting in would be if you got into your first preference

ammeamme

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 02:10:08 pm »
The only way having it second would affect your chances of getting in would be if you got into your first preference

I understand now, cheers. For some reason I always thought that you only get notified about offers for your 1st pref  :o

Livthomas

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 02:38:10 pm »
I qualify for 3 categories of SEAS and achieved a 68 ATAR. Would entering a course with a clearly in rank of 85 at Melbourne University (bachelor of arts) be possible if I keep it first preference?

(somebody last year got accepted with a 57)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:51:17 pm by Livthomas »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 02:41:11 pm »
+1
I qualify for 3 categories of SEAS and achieved a 68 ATAR. Would entering a course with a clearly in rank of 85 at Melbourne be possible if I keep it first preference?

(somebody last year got accepted with a 52)
Given that someone got in last year with lower then it's definitely possible. If it's what you want then definitely leave it first - you have 0 chance if you remove it. Also consider other possible pathways in though in case you don't get it :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
+1
I qualify for 3 categories of SEAS and achieved a 68 ATAR. Would entering a course with a clearly in rank of 85 at Melbourne University (bachelor of arts) be possible if I keep it first preference?

(somebody last year got accepted with a 52)
Yeah, you're still in with a fighting chance, especially if that ATAR was without SEAS and subject bonuses.

Note: Beaten by PF.
VTAC Info Thread

Livthomas

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 04:43:13 pm »
Yeah, you're still in with a fighting chance, especially if that ATAR was without SEAS and subject bonuses.

Note: Beaten by PF.

Okay hopefully that’s enough, do you know how to check if i’m eligible for subject bonuses for the uni of melb?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »
Okay hopefully that’s enough, do you know how to check if i’m eligible for subject bonuses for the uni of melb?
Still working on this. Will edit this post if I do/don't end up finding whether subject bonuses still exist at UoM; they did back in 2014 from memory. Sorry for the delay, but I'm trying now. Hang tight and I'll be back.
VTAC Info Thread

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 04:52:07 pm »
Still working on this. Will edit this post if I do/don't end up finding whether subject bonuses still exist at UoM; they did back in 2014 from memory. Sorry for the delay, but I'm trying now. Hang tight and I'll be back.
I don't believe UoM have them anymore as usually the VTAC page for the course would state that they do under selection rank adjustments
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 05:23:07 pm »
I don't believe UoM have them anymore as usually the VTAC page for the course would state that they do under selection rank adjustments
Yeah... that sucks to hear. Sometimes VTAC Course Search doesn't quite have everything on there, so I was holding out hope for that.
Thanks for the information, MB_ ! 

Terribly sorry to everyone I have misled.
VTAC Info Thread

Zahraalhaloob

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:52 pm »
 hi. I applied for seas category 2 and 3 (financial difficulties) but for some odd reason i did not get a text or email from Access Melbourne. I got one from Monash but I dont know why melbourne uni hasn’t accepted my eligibility???? I am well below average regarding my financial state so it makes me more than eligible in a way. Can someone please help me out? I gave unimelb a call and they said they cant see whether I am eligible or not, So should i go to the university myself or contact vtac?? thanks :-\