Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:12 am

Author Topic: Easy commerce units at Monash?  (Read 4007 times)  Share 

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Easy commerce units at Monash?
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:08:04 pm »
Hi guys!

I was wondering if any of you that are studying commerce at Monash can tell me what some of the 'easier' units are? For example, a lot of people say MGC1010 is easy. I need to know which units are easy to do well in provided the effort is put in.

Does anyone know much about:
  • ECC1100 - Principles of Macroeconomics
  • MGC1020 - Organisations: Contexts and strategies, or any other management units
  • Any marketing units

Please let me know ASAP! Need to choose some soon! :)

Thanks
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Easy commerce units at Monash?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »
+1
Macro is conceptual - it's kinda like micro, only more interesting imo. Also more discussion of economic theories, as opposed to simply "this is it", but the exam questions were of a similar style I suppose.

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
Re: Easy commerce units at Monash?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:43:34 pm »
+1
Macro can be quite easy once you get the hang of the assessment. If you've done micro you'll pretty much know what's coming - graphs, and explanations for graphs (except this time on a 'macro' scale). You get the weekly tests that follow this exact pattern, and then the exam which also sticks to the fairly obvious questions. If explaining things though graphical illustration isn't really your thing, you may have nfi what's going on. If you can do it well when it comes to explaining changes in the economy (or at least ROTE learn it) then it's not a hard subject. I also agree with the above comment about it being more interesting than micro. Since it concerns the economy as a whole you can relate this simplified theory back to reality a bit more.

The 2nd first year management subject...is also kinda like its equivalent 1010. You've got a couple of essays and an exam with short answer Q's. I recall in the main essay I had to bullshit for ~3000 words on Coca-Cola's strategy. The other one was about factors in the external environment affecting organisations and 'which ones are most important today'. Maybe next semester you'll have to talk about leadership or something - you get the idea. If you can crunch out a wordy essay with a good structure and some nice references, then this sort of stuff is for you (in my mind it's a damn easy unit). If you struggle with essay-writing, you'll want to avoid it though - some people hate management for that reason. Really, though, there's nothing much to it. Most of the theory is basic, bordering on common sense psychology a lot of the time. I also recall the staff for this unit being pretty nice & lenient.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:47:30 pm by Rohmer »