Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:48:31 am

Poll

I...

don't sleep - I'm staying up cramming info
1 (3.4%)
can hardly sleep - I'm too nervous
0 (0%)
sleep for 1-4 hours
0 (0%)
sleep for 5-6 hours
3 (10.3%)
sleep for 7 hours
7 (24.1%)
sleep for 8 hours
12 (41.4%)
sleep for 9 hours
6 (20.7%)
sleep for 10 hours
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: March 31, 2020, 08:06:40 pm

Author Topic: (Poll) How many hours do you sleep the night before a Sac/Exam?  (Read 1696 times)  Share 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
+1
Hey AN,

I've created another poll as my curiosity has gotten the best of me ;D
Out of curiosity, how many hours of sleep do you get before a Sac/Test/Exam?
(Of course all teens should aim for 8 hours 9-10 hours of sleep though!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:57:42 pm by Snow Leopard »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: (Poll) How many hours do you sleep the night before a Sac/Exam?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:09:33 pm »
+2
Usually about 8 hours.

It can sometimes be a bit less if I wake up early before my alarms.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:48:01 pm »
+3
Hey AN,

I've created another poll as my curiosity has gotten the best of me ;D
Out of curiosity, how many hours of sleep do you get before a Sac/Test/Exam?
(Of course all teens should aim for 8 hours of sleep though!)

Actually teens should be getting 9-10 hours of sleep! (You’ll learn this if you ever do psych 3/4, i always love to correct people on this fact haha). I usually sleep at 10 and wake up at 7 so that’s about 9 hours but it takes me ages to actually get to sleep, so I’d say 8 hours to be safe. Cramming doesn’t really help because you’re not going to remember that info AND apply it in a question, so better study earlier and relax more the day before a sac. I’m quite a hypocrite myself though because for one of my psych sacs I only started studying 3 days before the sac so on the day before the sac I stayed up pretty late to cram. I really don’t recommend it because it doesn’t help you retain the info for the exam. Study early and sleep more!

(I love sleeping personally)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:50:36 pm »
Actually teens should be getting 9-10 hours of sleep! (You’ll learn this if you ever do psych 3/4, i always love to correct people on this fact haha). I usually sleep at 10 and wake up at 7 so that’s about 9 hours but it takes me ages to actually get to sleep, so I’d say 8 hours to be safe. Cramming doesn’t really help because you’re not going to remember that info AND apply it in a question, so better study earlier and relax more the day before a sac. I’m quite a hypocrite myself though because for one of my psych sacs I only started studying 3 days before the sac so on the day before the sac I stayed up pretty late to cram. I really don’t recommend it because it doesn’t help you retain the info for the exam. Study early and sleep more!

(I love sleeping personally)
Thank you for informing me on that! Who doesn't love sleeping though ;D

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 12:27:59 am »
+5
I honestly don't think it matters. I remember reading in Rafael Nadal's autobiography that he went to sleep at about 1:30am the night before he played (and won) the 2008 Wimbledon final, in what was the longest (and probably most grueling physically and mentally) in history.

For most of my SACs/Exams, my bedtime ranged from 11:15 to 12, but the night of my English Language exam I went just after 12 because I was nervous as hell, and lying in bed thinking wasn't going to help. It ended up being my most disappointing exam with pre-exam goals in mind, but not too bad. Additionally, the night of my Global Politics exam, I literally didn't go to bed until 1am. At that point, I was really emotional about the fact it was going to be my last school test, and again I didn't want to sit in bed thinking about it. In contrast, GloPol was my best performed exam, and saved my ATAR, which was ironic since it was by far my latest bedtime. For both, I ended up waking up at around 9:30 (GloPol start at 11:45 and EngLang 2:15). Keep in mind, for the rest of my SACs throughout the year during normal school times, I was fortunate enough to be able to wake up around 8-8:15 and get to school on time most of the time, so I was lucky there.

I'd suggest getting as close to 9 hours a night throughout the year, but disagree (anecdotally) with the proposition that sleep the night before matters a whole lot unless you have an early start. It's all mental from there, if you think that having a bad night will 'ruin' your chances of performing in the exam, chances are you've psyched yourself out from the start.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »
+2
I almost never pull an all nighter, I go to bed at 9 cause i know when im tired my memory is even worse then usual, and if i dont know it i dont know it 🤦
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP