Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:13:23 pm

Author Topic: Strategies to manage online learning  (Read 5269 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Strategies to manage online learning
« on: March 23, 2020, 01:32:47 pm »
+16
Hey,
A lot of you have expressed concern over online learning, so I'm just making this thread as a place to chat about it/discuss various ways to manage time and keep up motivation if/when study moves online.

Uni students are a bit more used to managing their own study - however a lot of us are shifting to fully online for the first time as well - but maybe we'll be able to give some advice from what we've learnt.

I'll pop back in later with some ideas but just need to post this before I forget again haha. If you have any particular concerns/questions please post them here and someone might be able to help!
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Re: Strategies to manage online learning
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 05:46:02 pm »
+7
Hey, thanks so much for making this PF! I thought Year 12 was the most challenging year of my academic career. I guess not anymore.

As someone who continually struggles with motivation and discipline with regards to managing my study and workload, I feel that online classes and public library closures will not do my headspace a world of good. (I could commute to a nearby campus library, but...yeah the motivation issues are still there) Plus with more time on my hands, there's more time to waste, more time to read and watch the distressing events happening all over the world. In addition, my home has way too many distractions. I decided last year that home should be study-free, so I'm continuing that. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but the uncertainty surrounding the entire situation is the worst part. Does anyone have similar feelings?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:03:09 pm »
+13
Hey guys! 2019 graduate here  :P

Although I support the shutdown of schools, I completely understand the stressful impact this is going to have on student, especially those that come from schools with limited resources/not as well equipped to transition online.

I thought I could offer some tips and advice, since I used to take days off school to study and was able to stay very disciplined (luckily) in all my holiday periods.

1: you need to stay motivated/disciplined with study. Trust me, I'm going through the same thing with uni and I am finding it very hard to study when I'm home all the time. I used to stick up my goals on a post it note in front of me - for example, a perfect score in a subject (that might stress some of you out, but it helped me stay focused). Write to-do lists everyday. Try to switch up your study area. Wake up and pack a bag, change your clothes and move to another table/desk like you are going to school.
At the same time, it's also okay to take a break and spend time with family - this is a stressful time even without VCE.

2: Take advantage of online resources. Not many people realise just how many great videos and free resources that are out there, and are honestly better than in-person lessons. For Methods/Spesh/Further, there are lots of people on Youtube who do "walk-through solutions" for VCAA exams. This was SO helpful, because you can pause and rewind - you can't do that with a teacher. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEYNk5Y2IDw

There is also Khan Academy, BioNinja, TSFX resources compilation (so many practice exams, sample essays etc), Edrolo, Crashcourse and AtarNotes of course. These are great options to turn to when your teacher is not answering, which might be likely in this online period.

3: Online study tools: don't forget apps like Anki (highly recommend), Quizlet, Duolingo etc.

4: Online Study motivation: this may just be me, but sometimes I liked to do those "live study with me videos" on Youtube. Otherwise, have skype/messenger calls with your friends and have study sessions together. You can ask each other questions, and share screens as you walk through questions/solutions etc.

Hope this helps guys! I'll be floating around on the forums a bit more trying to help with subjects as much as I can and seeing if there are any resources I can send out :)) Keep calm - the most important thing is to stay safe and healthy.
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 01:31:39 am »
+1
Hey,
A lot of you have expressed concern over online learning, so I'm just making this thread as a place to chat about it/discuss various ways to manage time and keep up motivation if/when study moves online.

Uni students are a bit more used to managing their own study - however a lot of us are shifting to fully online for the first time as well - but maybe we'll be able to give some advice from what we've learnt.

I'll pop back in later with some ideas but just need to post this before I forget again haha. If you have any particular concerns/questions please post them here and someone might be able to help!
Do you guys think that school will begin again in the next couple of weeks? I legit feel like I do not retain much information after learning somethings online.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:27 am »
Do you guys think that school will begin again in the next couple of weeks? I legit feel like I do not retain much information after learning somethings online.

I wouldn't count on it.

Just like with in-person learning,  there's lots of different ways to learn online. It's probably worth trying out a few different approaches to see if there are any you do find more effective.

brothanathan

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:57:01 am »
+1
There's too many distractions in our society tbf, and if you're struggling to only focus on what truly matters.. here's a book I'd recommend:

How to Build Self-Discipline: Resist Temptations and Reach Your Long-Term Goals by Martin Meadows

It usually takes at least 3 weeks to form a new habit, some may call that an excuse. Especially those who have served in the military. Common sense? Makes no sense? We always endeavor to do xyz yet many sabotage themselves.

It's time to envision what your heart truly desires in the long-term.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 10:07:52 am »
+2
My 500th post  :o
I know I'm going to be relying fairly heavily on the "Question Forums" and RESN Tutoring as my school told us just check the lesson plan and sdo the work on there
Here is what a lesson plan looks like on a good day
Learning Intention - To understand the extent to which ethical principles were applied to classic research investigations including John Watson's 'Little Albert' experiment.

Success Criteria - By the end of the lesson you should be able to
• Identify the key elements of Watson's experiment on 'Little Albert' (in terms of classical conditioning)
• Discuss the ethical issues associated the 'Little Albert' experiment, such as ?
• The Participants rights
o Voluntary participation
o Informed consent
o Withdrawal rights
o Confidentiality
o Debreifing
• 'Ethical Values' as described in National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research (2007): including
o Respect
o Beneficence
• Roles of the Researcher
o Do no harm

Activities -
Watch and take notes on 5B The Little Albert experiment

Focus your notes on the success criteria.

And I would hope the lessons get more detailed going into remote learning but I'm not counting on it aha
HOWEVER
one teacher is amazing and he gives up lesson plans like this

Homework
Please make sure you have read Civil Law and Justice. pp. 144-154 of your text - note take under key headings and sub-headings. (up to Methods of dispute resolution)  Start with paraphrasing 7-8 key terms on p.145 that you are not yet familiar with. Balance of probabilities is critical knowledge. 

Ensure the following are addressed:

p.146 What is meant by civil actions?
p.146 What are the two key areas of civil law?
pp.146-147 What are the principles of justice and how do these apply specifically to civil law?
SAC 3.1B - revision and relevant edrolo sections

Learning Intention
Develop a preliminary knowledge of the Victorian Civil Justice system

Success Criteria
Understood key terms and how these apply to the Victorian Civil Justice System
Learnt what is meant by the principles of justice and how these apply to the Victorian Civil Justice System

Lesson Activities
Unit 3: Rights and Justice​
The Victorian Civil Justice system

List in clear point form the following: factors to consider when initiating a civil claim, including:

- negotiation options
- costs
- limitation of actions
- the scope of liability
- enforcement issues

Read pp.155-159 Mediation. Summarise the boxes on p.157 "When is mediation appropriate / inappropriate." The summarise the Legal  brief on p.158 and the NewsReport 5.5 on p.159.  Answer all of questions 1-5 on p.159

Read on Conciliation and Arbitration (160-161)  Summarise / paraphrase the grey boxes for each area and complete Activity 5.3 on the role of dispute resolution methods. For ‘discuss’ questions, this is a task word you need to use to address all sides.

Edrolo: Complete first seven sections: Key concepts in the Principles of Justice, Civil Justice System, Factors to Consider When Initiating a Civil Claim, CAV and VCAT, Purposes of Civil Pre-Trial Procedures, The Victorian Court Hierarchy and Civil Cases, The Responsibilities of Key Personnel in a Civil Trial.

SAC 3.1B Revision

Looking ahead ...

Criminal Law and Justice
SAC 1B: Tuesday, March 24th
Preparation for SAC 3.1B on Tuesday 24th March Consider the following revision options: flashcards, edrolo practice exams and checkpoints questions,  p. 142. Complete all end of chapter questions that you have not covered.

So I feel like the only difficult bit about remote learning will be lack of face to face conversation and potentially vague lesson plans
But I'm kinda excited but really sad cause I quite enjoy school
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:38:51 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 10:13:09 pm »
+1
I wouldn't count on it.

Just like with in-person learning,  there's lots of different ways to learn online. It's probably worth trying out a few different approaches to see if there are any you do find more effective.
I have tried to learn, but I procrastinate a lot when I am at home. In my opinion learning is school is always the best.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:19:06 pm »
I have tried to learn, but I procrastinate a lot when I am at home. In my opinion learning is school is always the best.

It can very hard to form new habits but procrastination is something you can work on and change. I understand that learning at school may be best but it's still useful to learn how to learn online

brothanathan

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:58:54 pm by brothanathan »

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 08:39:56 pm »
It can very hard to form new habits but procrastination is something you can work on and change. I understand that learning at school may be best but it's still useful to learn how to learn online
I agree procrastination is something that myself and many others can change, but trust me once it starts it becomes very difficult to change. Learning at school is always the best option (except when its freezing cold), but once I learn how to use online tools well that could be a big help. So far I am already behind in school work AND HOLIDAY BARELY STARTED. I cannot wait until term 2 and see improvements in terms of my study habits. So far thousands across the state are procrastinating.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 10:48:53 am »
+1
I do have some additional concerns (that may apply to some other students too): All the discipline and planning in the world probably isn't going to lead to me getting much uni work done at home because a) I haven't really experienced an online education before and b) I don't have a dedicated study room/space/area at home. Throughout Year 12, I had a desk near my room, but since it was so close to my room, all I really did there was chill out or procrastinate. So I ended up making it my dedicated procrastination spot. And all that the government is saying about staying at home "unless it's necessary to go out" is making me concerned and although my uni campus libraries are technically open, I gotta do my part in slowing the spread of the virus.

I know you should be grateful for what you do have, but I am slightly jealous of those who have a dedicated/built-in study area at home.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 03:30:18 pm »
+5
I think even just simply wearing your uniform/casual clothes can help with being productive with online learning, rather than staying in your pajamas. This method has helped me just get into the mindset that I'm "at uni" right now and should be studying rather than procrastinating and scrolling endlessly on my phone.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 03:38:08 pm »
+5
I think even just simply wearing your uniform/casual clothes can help with being productive with online learning, rather than staying in your pajamas. This method has helped me just get into the mindset that I'm "at uni" right now and should be studying rather than procrastinating and scrolling endlessly on my phone.
YES! I can vouch for this like change your clothes, it makes you feel fresh, and ready to tackle your day!
Also don't study in bed "research has found that studying in bed can be unhealthy. ... Working or doing homework in bed will reduce one's focus because most people tend to associate their beds with comfort and sleep" "When you are lounging, your mind drifts out of focus. When you are sitting upright, in a well-lit room, your studying will be the most focused. Every hour of studying this way could be worth two hours of studying on the bed or sofa."
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12:03 pm »
+5
I'll add to this post later once I get some spare time - but these last few days, as a VCE Year 12 student, I had to partake in 'online learning' through school.

This biggest motivation help is stick with your timetable!!! Do the tasks that you would've done in school, in order. Your teachers may have set holiday homework, have assgined work for the day, but even if you have nothing, do some revision for that subject, at that time. This is sure to help combat some demotivation! Dont forget to take your snack and lunch breaks. Wake up early, get changed for the day, freshen up, and treat it as a school timetable.

[Imma add more to this list later]