Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:45:37 pm

Author Topic: I just want to study Latin...  (Read 3865 times)  Share 

binders

Re: I just want to study Latin...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:47:06 pm »
+2
>90+FTW
   I'm going to ignore questions about whether you actually need to study Latin, since you know your own situation better than we do.

You can study Latin without undertaking a classics major. As other have suggested, take it as an elective.

Talk to your faculty office to see how many elective slots you have open. Then go see one of the lecturers in Classics and Archaeology - i think Dr. Wurster coordinates the beginner Latin units, but all the staff in C&A are quite approachable and helpful. If you want to take Latin to a level where you can read texts fairly confidently, you're probably looking at 3-4 units, but explain your needs to the staff and ask their advice.

You can find all the contact info on the School of Historical and Philosophical studies website http://classics-archaeology.unimelb.edu.au/.

If I were you, I would take the intensive Latin offered in january. you get 1 year's worth out of the way in 7 weeks and get 25 points towards your degree. It's hard, but worth it.

If you find you can't fit Latin into your degree, there are other ways to learn it - you have 3 years of undergrad before you get to Oxford! You could get a tutor.
You could enrol in Latin under the Community Access Program at UoM, and still get an official transcript, but without it taking up slots in your degree (this costs $$$).
   You could study independently with the help of the UoM Latin reading groups or one of several of the online Latin study groups (eg. http://www.quasillum.com/study/latinstudy.php ).
The CAE also offers a slowly-paced Latin class which will get you there in 3 years, but these options have the downside that you won't have a transcript to show Oxford.