Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:39 pm

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469665 times)  Share 

HonoraryStudent

• Adventurer
  • Don't be afraid to fail - be afraid not to try
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1425 on: March 12, 2019, 12:01:35 pm »
+2
how ironic is this
just did my psych sac on the nervous system and stress.
I was sorta running out of time near the end ( finished on time though  ;)
and my hand started shaking ...rapidly
pretty sure that's a sympathetic nervous system response to stress....correct me if I'm wrong ;D
“Procrastination kills time but murders your success"
https://www.youtube.com

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1426 on: March 13, 2019, 10:12:54 am »
Explain whether any learning or memory would be possible without neural plasticity ?
how would u answer that
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1427 on: March 13, 2019, 11:35:03 am »
Explain whether any learning or memory would be possible without neural plasticity ?
how would u answer that

This links to the neural basis of learning topic - think about LTP and LTD

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1428 on: March 13, 2019, 12:17:01 pm »
+2
how would u answer that

To be able to learn something, you have to be able to recall it. To recall information, there must be synaptic changes occuring to accomodate new info by forming a neural representation of the info. So, learning and memory requires LTP and LTD to occur, which is when the structure of the synapse is changed. This is done through bushier dendrites, the release of more neurotransmitter from the presynaptic neuron, and more receptor sites on the postsynaptic neuron through the release of more neurotransmitter and bushier dendrites. This is an example of LTP (and occurs when the presynaptic and postsynaptic neuron fires simultaneously). Another example of learning and memory occuring is LTD, where unused synapses are pruned. These changes can only occur through neural plasticity. Neural plasticity is the ability of neurons to change their structure in response to experience. Under this, there is synpatic plasticity, which is the ability of the synapse to change structure in response to experience/newly learned information. Therefore, if there is no neural plasticity, then LTP and LTD cannot occur, which then means learning and memory cannot occur.

I think I repeated myself in my answer a lot, oops  :) Correct me if I'm wrong!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

danielapapaa

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1429 on: March 14, 2019, 07:47:33 pm »
Hi guys!
I'm in yr 11 doing 3/4 psychology and was just wanting some tips on how to not forget things that you learned at the start of the year for the final exam

Thankyou!!  :D :D

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #1430 on: March 14, 2019, 11:34:21 pm »
+1
Hi guys!
I'm in yr 11 doing 3/4 psychology and was just wanting some tips on how to not forget things that you learned at the start of the year for the final exam

You might want to try to continue to do practice questions throughout the year. There are many ways to go about doing this and I would recommend finding a way that suits your study style, but one thing you could do is get something like the ATAR notes topic tests and set aside even just an hour per week to do a few questions from topics you've already gone over. This way, you'll constantly be recalling that knowledge which will hopefully make it much easier to remember by the time exam roll around.
Also, good luck in psych and have fun!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1431 on: March 15, 2019, 07:30:35 am »
+2
Hi guys!

hey Same!!!
You might want to try to continue to do practice questions throughout the year. There are many ways to go about doing this and I would recommend finding a way that suits your study style, but one thing you could do is get something like the ATAR notes topic tests and set aside even just an hour per week to do a few questions from topics you've already gone over. This way, you'll constantly be recalling that knowledge which will hopefully make it much easier to remember by the time exam roll around.
100% agree...ATAR notes topic tests are pretty good, I'm using it to prepare for my SACS throughout the year.
You could also purchase books by Kirsty Kendall ( she has really good books) relating to Psychology, I also high recommend getting Cambridge Checkpoints.
Also rewatch Edrolo videos throughout the year....if you're school has Edrolo.
Anyways that's all the things im doing to hopefully secure a raw 40  ;)
You should also check out this https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=170600.0 her guide is really useful  ;D
hope this helps :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:42:14 am by RXFRA19 »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1432 on: March 17, 2019, 08:22:56 pm »
yo I got a question relating the 1st SAC we did this year in unit 3/4
how many marks was it out of ....is it different for every school?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1433 on: March 18, 2019, 07:23:13 am »
+1
yo I got a question relating the 1st SAC we did this year in unit 3/4
how many marks was it out of ....is it different for every school?

The number of marks is different for different schools, but the percentage contribution an outcome makes to your study score is the same

danielapapaa

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1434 on: March 18, 2019, 05:27:19 pm »

Thank you so much for your help!  :D :D

danielapapaa

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1435 on: March 18, 2019, 05:28:42 pm »
hey Same!!!100% agree...ATAR notes topic tests are pretty good, I'm using it to prepare for my SACS throughout the year.
You could also purchase books by Kirsty Kendall ( she has really good books) relating to Psychology, I also high recommend getting Cambridge Checkpoints.
Also rewatch Edrolo videos throughout the year....if you're school has Edrolo.
Anyways that's all the things im doing to hopefully secure a raw 40  ;)
You should also check out this https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=170600.0 her guide is really useful  ;D
hope this helps :P

Thankyou!!  :D :D Good luck with psych!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1436 on: March 20, 2019, 02:55:00 pm »
hey  :)

can some one just confirm what I've written is correct

A person under treatment for a gambling addiction often feels an urge to play the pokies whenever he again encounter cues such as driving past a gaming venue where he experienced a huge 'buzz' after hitting a jackpot and hearing about someone else beg win on the machines

UCS: Hearing someone hitting a jackpot
NS: Driving past a gaming venue
UCR: Buzz

therefor
CS: Driving past a gaming venue where he hears someone hitting a jackpot
CR: Buxx

thnx ;D

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #1437 on: March 20, 2019, 03:39:09 pm »
hey  :)

can some one just confirm what I've written is correct

A person under treatment for a gambling addiction often feels an urge to play the pokies whenever he again encounter cues such as driving past a gaming venue where he experienced a huge 'buzz' after hitting a jackpot and hearing about someone else beg win on the machines

UCS: Hearing someone hitting a jackpot
NS: Driving past a gaming venue
UCR: Buzz

therefor
CS: Driving past a gaming venue where he hears someone hitting a jackpot
CR: Buxx

thnx ;D
You've got the right idea but I'm a bit confused by your example. Instead, take this example - ''David experienced a buzz after hitting the jackpot whilst gambling. Now, whenever David sees flashing coloured lights he experiences this buzz again". In this example, the UCS is hitting the jackpot the NS/CS is the flashing coloured lights (often associated with hitting the jackpot) and the UCR/CR is the buzz experienced (which could lead to an urge to play again). I hope it's clear as to how the associations in my example were reached. I'm confused by your example as feeling a buzz from hearing someone else hit the jackpot would seem to be conditioning in itself so it looks like there could be two lots of CC going on.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much but if you need clarification let me know.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:45:38 pm by MB_ »
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1438 on: March 20, 2019, 05:20:28 pm »
You've got the right idea but I'm a bit confused by your example. Instead, take this example - ''David experienced a buzz after hitting the jackpot whilst gambling. Now, whenever David sees flashing coloured lights he experiences this buzz again". In this example, the UCS is hitting the jackpot the NS/CS is the flashing coloured lights (often associated with hitting the jackpot) and the UCR/CR is the buzz experienced (which could lead to an urge to play again). I hope it's clear as to how the associations in my example were reached. I'm confused by your example as feeling a buzz from hearing someone else hit the jackpot would seem to be conditioning in itself so it looks like there could be two lots of CC going on.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much but if you need clarification let me know.

no your example makes perfect sense and I understand it  :)
I was confused by this question as well and got a bit stumped by it when I saw it in my text book
hence me posting a query.
Thanks for the help ;D

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #1439 on: March 20, 2019, 05:34:29 pm »
no your example makes perfect sense and I understand it  :)
I was confused by this question as well and got a bit stumped by it when I saw it in my text book
hence me posting a query.
Thanks for the help ;D
I thought about it a bit more and think that it works if the venue is the NS/CS (with winning the jackpot/hearing other people win is the UCS and the UCR/CR is the buzz experienced). As the venue is the NS/CS then driving past it would lead to a buzz (due to the conditioning) that would give the urge to gamble. I don't think driving past the venue can be the NS/CS as the conditioning occurs when the person is experiencing the buzz while being at the venue.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit!
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych