Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:46:58 pm

Author Topic: Practice makes Better!  (Read 1790 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Practice makes Better!
« on: May 06, 2019, 05:32:36 pm »
+12
06/05/2019

Hey, everyone!

I’m making this thread for self-discipline and to motivate myself towards being a better musician. I’m keeping my uni journal for my adventures at the Con and everything related to my teaching endeavours. What this thread is for is for me to track my progress towards completing my AMEB certification and for documenting my voice development.

My story at the moment is that I’m sitting on fourth grade for AMEB Classical Singing. This was because I didn’t start taking formal lessons until I was 14. While singing students usually don’t start until around this age, I do feel like I need to work harder to prove to myself that I can achieve what I want to out of singing.

I will proudly admit that I was terrible at prioritising practice during high school. I would often practise once a week if I was lucky and, during busy periods, would practise a few hours before my lessons. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to but because I saw other commitments to be more important. Now that I’m pursuing music full time, there’s no excuse for neglecting what is essentially so important to being a musician- practice.

The last few months after the HSC, I have been at a bit of a stasis on the performance side of my musical journey. My music teacher Elissa who you’ll hear me mention heaps in this log was overseas and I requested time to settle into uni which has been a massive change in my life. I resumed lessons today and will be having them once a week with her. I’ll basically be starting fresh and would like to be more accountable for my musicianship by being more proactive and productive with practice.

That’s all for my introduction to this thread! My posts won’t be anywhere near as long as this one. They’ll simply be logging my hours each week and quickly evaluating how they went. Hoping to do my exam at the end of this year in December so here’s to a new start!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Practice makes Better!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »
+5
So keen to see you progress, you've got this Angelina!!! 💕

(So keen for future updates! 😊)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:53:52 pm »
+8
12/05/2019

Log Hours

Total hours of scales: 1 hour

Total hours of sight-singing: 0 hours

Total hours of practice: 4 hours

Total hours of singing (Other): 1 hour

Evaluation: Good start for what has been a busy week. Got a decent amount of practice in and started some new repertoire for my own enjoyment. Will aim to get sight-singing into the routine, especially with finals approaching in a few weeks.

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 04:28:47 pm »
+1
What does the exam involve?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:09:39 pm »
+7
What does the exam involve?

Hey  ;D

The AMEB exam for Classical Singing is really similar to how piano exams work. This is basically the structure of the exam;

- A rehearsed vocalise involving scales but written in song form. They’re sung on a neutral vowel (I usually choose “ah” or “ooh” because they’re easier than “ee” which can sound really American and slightly nasty).
- Three set works contrasting in nature. AMEB selects them and organises a range of works into Unaccompanied, Music prior to the 20th century and Music of the 20th and 21st centuries. The works I’ll be preparing are Scarborough Fair (Traditional), Caro Mio Ben (Giuseppe) and Glowworms (Richard Rodney Bennett).
- Two extra lists. My extra repertoire will be Come Again (Dowland) and Auf Flugeln des Gesanges (Mendelssohn). They may ask me to perform one or both depending on their mood. I only had to sing one for my Third Grade.
- Aural perception. This is the listening skills section. I’m generally quite comfortable with Aural and I’ve done crazier stuff in uni already as a first year so I’m not too concerned  ;D
- General knowledge. The examiner will ask a few questions on our set works to see how well we know them  ;)

Although I know my works well, I think the end of this year will be the best time to do the exam. It’ll let me focus on uni as well as refining all these areas  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 07:54:57 pm »
+6
19/05/2019

(logging today because I was busy all of last night)

Log Hours

Total hours of sight-singing: 1 hour

Total hours of practice: 1 hour

Total hours of singing (Other): 9 hours

Evaluation: Happy that scales and warm ups are remaining consistent and that I managed to get in some decent sight-singing practice. I didn't have as much time for my repertoire this week because my focus was on Choir 1 for uni. That being said, I've sung heaps this week for rehearsal and for the concert so I'm keen to keep up the momentum, even with assessments due imminently.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 01:22:01 pm »
+7
26/05/2019

(Been very delayed with my logs because of some personal things going on in my life so will aim to be more diligent with these entries)

Log Hours

Total hours of sight-singing: 2 hour

Evaluation: Been busier the previous week with lots of distractions which took me away from properly focusing on my repertoire. I'm getting more sight-singing done in preparation for my uni solfege exam and will hopefully be doing more practice once everything starts to come together better. I've already picked up the pace this week and will endeavour to continue doing so.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:03:49 pm »
+6

Log Hours

Total hours of scales: 1/2 hour

Total hours of sight-singing: 2 hours

Total hours of practice: 2 hours

Evaluation: Less scales this week because I've gotten better at doing them fast. I dedicated another two hours to sight-singing in prep for the uni exam and will hope to keep this up closer to the date. More practice for my program has been done which I will aim to maintain in this week. I've also been asked to sing at a youth event in a few weeks so I have compiled together some repertoire for that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 01:34:27 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 11:54:06 pm »
+4
Log Hours

Total hours of sight-singing: 2 hours

Total hours of practice: 2 hours

Total hours of singing (Other): 0 hours

Evaluation: Completely underestimated the workload I would have in STUVAC to complete but I did manage to get more scales in and sight-singing maintained. My repertoire is coming along nicely, especially my Extra List which my singing teacher has given heaps of praise for (did an awesome boost to my ego). I didn't get to any extra singing done so maybe after finals this coming week, I'll just bust out some karaoke jams to unwind.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
+5
Log Hours

Total hours of scales: 1/2 hour

Total hours of sight-singing: 0 hours

Total hours of singing (Other): 2 hours

Evaluation: Had finals this week and completely neglected my program as a result. I did manage to get in some scales and an hour of practice but that was all I did this week. I have a festival performance this coming Friday which is why I've managed to get in more rehearsal for that. I hope to get back into the swing of things with my program now that I'm on semester break.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-