Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:42:41 am

Author Topic: BLAA 2018/19: Inaugural Winner Announced!  (Read 2182 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
BLAA 2018/19: Inaugural Winner Announced!
« on: January 31, 2019, 10:53:37 am »
+23

Yo!

As you may be aware, we recently launched the BLAA - the bangali_lok Annual Award. Details from the initial post can be found here:

Spoiler

Hi everybody! It's my great pleasure today to introduce a brand new annual ATAR Notes award, which I hope will come to be the most prestigious award of our very special community.

What is the BLAA?
The BLAA, or the bangali_lok Annual Award, represents everything good about ATAR Notes. Selflessness, empathy and a willingness to help. A sense of genuine community, of trust, and of passion.

It will be awarded to the member of the community judged - by the community - to best encapsulate those characteristics. To best encapsulate the ethos of ATAR Notes.

The award is named after long-time National Moderator, heids (previously bangali_lok). Heidi has been an integral part of ATAR Notes for a long time. She has invested hundreds and hundreds of hours into building this community, and much of how ATAR Notes is now is directly attributable to her.

How does it work?
The BLAA is a community-decided award. Every ATAR Notes user is invited to submit a list of up to five names that they consider have been most influential and reflective of the values above in the last year.* The user deemed most worthy will be awarded five points, the next will be awarded four points, and so on, like this example below:

5 points (best encapsulated AN ethos): User A
4 points (next best): User B
3 points (next best): User C
2 points (next best): User D
1 point (next best): User E

At the end of the voting period, the member of the community with the highest number of points will be awarded the BLAA.

*For the inaugural award, since January 2018.

Vote now!
Voting is now open for the inaugural BLAA.

Please vote using this voting form. Voting is anonymous. Common sense, but please don't take advantage of that, and please only vote once.

PLEASE NOTE: Administrators are ineligible. Any votes for Administrators will not be counted. State Moderators and National Moderators are eligible. See list here.

Also...
I just want to reinforce that ATAR Notes is, of course, more considerable than the sum of its parts. This community is only the way it is because so many - countless - members contribute, have an influence and reflect the qualities listed above. For that reason, any number of users would be worthy.

However, I think it's important to sometimes recognise those that have gone above and beyond - and that is the reason for the BLAA.

Any questions, chuck them below - happy voting!

Essentially, the BLAA is awarded to the member the community collectively deems to best demonstrate the values of inclusiveness, leadership, empathy, and other core tenets of ATAR Notes. It is named after bangali_lok (heids), who well and truly encapsulated all of these things.

Voting has now closed, and it is my great pleasure to award the inaugural winner.

RESULTS

As you might expect, this was a close-run thing. In total, THIRTY-THREE individual users polled votes, which is testament to the quality of community we have at the moment. Any number of posters could have ultimately won, and there were some (very exciting) lead changes throughout.

In particular, the top three posters - and then the top six or so more broadly - were very close in votes.

But in saying that, one poster polled more votes than any other. So, please join me in congratulating our inaugural BLAA winner: miniturtle.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: BLAA 2018/19: Inaugural Winner Announced!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:08:09 am »
+16
Whooohooo! Congratulations, mini! This is so well deserved. Honestly I'd go on and on about what a pillar you are in this community but I think the award speaks for itself.  ;)

Congrats again, love you so much!!
❤️💜💙💜❤️
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:28:36 am »
+14
omg congratulations miniturtle! so very very well deserved ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 11:53:29 am »
+12
Oh my gosh huge congrats miniturtle!!!!! So deserving <3
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 12:03:09 pm »
+16
One mini step for turtle, one giant step for forumkind

Very well picked :)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:42 pm »
+19
I've been asked to give a speech (@certain mods) so here it is:

Saying "I am honoured" isn't enough to convey how I feel but it is how I feel. Honoured and grateful.
I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the many contributions of others before me, and with me, who have acted in the spirit of BLAA. Thank you. Thank you to all of you so incredibly much. Thank you to everyone who voted, for taking the time to reflect on this community and show your appreciation. As J41 said, there are others who could have received this award & I certainly believe that they have earnt it. A community is never held by one person, or even 33, and everyone has their impact.

Sometimes, this impact is categorised into community building or academic and I want to take this opportunity to emphasise that the two are intrinsically linked. Having community keeps people around helping and allows us to reach out for support and advice; having academics creates and upholds the foundation of our community.

This is why I ask that anyone thinking about upvoting this post instead goes to one of their subjects and upvotes a helpful post there. It's crucial that when we shine a light on community building we respect the academic support that underlies it.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:06:37 pm »
+9
Congrats miniturtle :D

Very well deserved!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:40:30 pm »
+10
Congratulations miniturtle!!

You deserved this so much ;D
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:04 pm »
+6
Late to the party (had no reception) but I'm so glad mini got this, so very well deserved ❤
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 08:15:04 pm »
+6
So well deserved, amazing stuff MT, and congrats to the community for taking the time to recognise the people who make AN special

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 08:43:23 pm »
+6
Ahh congrats miniturtle!!!

I had an inkling you would be the recipient - which really goes to show your tremendous contributions to this wonderful community!  ;) Such a fitting person to receive this inaugural award!
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD