Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:30:23 am

Author Topic: encoding and consolidation  (Read 814 times)  Share 

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
encoding and consolidation
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »
hey guys, just wondering whether it is correct that memories are encoded into long term memory, and once they are encoded, they are then consolidated? ive become confused all of a sudden. Because when there is a disruption in the consolidation process, a memory will be altered or completely lost, so even though a memory has been encoded into long term memory, it can still be lost?

thanks in advance
ATAR: 99.80

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: encoding and consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:59:58 pm »
+1
Encoding and consolidation are completely different concepts.

Encoding is a term used when referring to the information processing model for memory. It is the process by which info is converted from raw sensory info into information that can be used by the brain to store in LTM. Encoding is required to transfer the information from sensory memory to STM to LTM.

When they are encoded, the memories are not then consolidated. It's best to keep these two terms separate, but for clarification, the consolidation process = encoding.

When there is disruption to the consolidation process, memory will be altered or completely lost due to disruption to physiological changes in the neurons.

If a memory has been encoded into LTM, it can be lost only due to the decay theory of forgetting. The other 3 theories imply that the memory is still available, but not accessible at the time.
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:48 pm »
But isn't it that sensory information that is attended to enters short term memory? then once it's in short term memory, it can be encoded into long term memory by using a form of elaborative rehearsal.
I see what you're saying in terms of the 2 being different concepts

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »
sorry for the added confusion my answer may have caused you -

for info to be transferred from sensory memory to STM requires attention AND info is being encoded

info retained in STM through maintenance rehearsal

for info to be transferred from STM to LTM requires attention, undergoes elaborative rehearsal AND is being encoded

google the atkinson-shiffrin multistore model for memory to get a visual understanding (click on images) of what I'm saying.
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:20:26 pm »
hahah nah that's fine, I understand what you're trying to say though: Encoding and Consolidation come from different theories to describe the same process

thanks for the help