Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:38:04 pm

Author Topic: RELATED FILM TEXT FOR ROMANTICISM HELP PLEASE :(:(:(  (Read 2147 times)  Share 

HomozygousRomantic

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
RELATED FILM TEXT FOR ROMANTICISM HELP PLEASE :(:(:(
« on: April 19, 2018, 10:24:19 pm »
Hello all I need help ASAP for a romanticism essay I need help choosing a related text which I can link to either frankenstein or coleridge! I need help in choosing a film as a related text for romanticis which has lots of notes and critics etc!! Hep :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: RELATED FILM TEXT FOR ROMANTICISM HELP PLEASE :(:(:(
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:06:08 pm »
Hello all I need help ASAP for a romanticism essay I need help choosing a related text which I can link to either frankenstein or coleridge! I need help in choosing a film as a related text for romanticis which has lots of notes and critics etc!! Hep :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hey! I did both these texts. My ORTs were Chimney Sweeper by William Blake and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I chose Chimney Sweeper as it linked to the corruption of industrialisation which is explored in Frankenstein and also dealt with ideas such as childhood innocence, nature and the imagination, all key Romantic paradigms. Wuthering Heights also explored the corrupting force of civilisation and the idea that humans are most pure when in the presence of nature. It also emphasised through the juxtaposition of Edgar and Catherine the competing forces of emotion and reason within Romanticism. I can't help out with a film sorry but I would definitely recommend the two texts I mentioned!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:11:09 pm »
Hey there,
I don't do Extension English, however, based on my understanding of the syllabus, I can possibly suggest Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner'- the 1982 version, not the new one! It was a module in Advanced English in the previous syllabus so you'll have a lot of notes on that! (Any Extension English students let me know if this was a bad ORT)

Maybe you can also have a look at this user's essay as well- they used Coleridge and Frankenstein so maybe you can get inspiration from their essay (?)

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:15:27 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

HomozygousRomantic

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:14:27 pm »
Hey! I did both these texts. My ORTs were Chimney Sweeper by William Blake and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I chose Chimney Sweeper as it linked to the corruption of industrialisation which is explored in Frankenstein and also dealt with ideas such as childhood innocence, nature and the imagination, all key Romantic paradigms. Wuthering Heights also explored the corrupting force of civilisation and the idea that humans are most pure when in the presence of nature. It also emphasised through the juxtaposition of Edgar and Catherine the competing forces of emotion and reason within Romanticism. I can't help out with a film sorry but I would definitely recommend the two texts I mentioned!

Hi thank you so much! I realissed I COULD wuthering heights as a realted text!! thank you!!!!! With wuthering heights how can I link it to frankenstein?

HomozygousRomantic

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:15:47 pm »
Hey there,
I don't do Extension English, however, based on my understanding of the syllabus, I can possibly suggest Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner'- the 1982 version, not the new one! It was a module in Advanced English in the previous syllabus so you'll have a lot of notes on that! (Any Extension English students let me know if this was a bad ORT- I just love Romanticism :) )

Maybe you can also have a look at this user's essay as well- they used Coleridge and Frankenstein so maybe you can get inspiration from their essay (?)

Hope this helps!

Hi thank you for that! With blade runner its part of the standard syllabus so unfortunately I can't do it:(

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:55:49 pm »
+1
Hi thank you so much! I realissed I COULD wuthering heights as a realted text!! thank you!!!!! With wuthering heights how can I link it to frankenstein?

These are the main ideas explored in Wuthering Heights that relate to Romanticism:

WUTHERING HEIGHTS
-   Challenged the constraints of the social hierarchy and moral code of the Enlightenment period on the individual.
-   The character of Catherine epitomises the Romantic belief that nature, even in its most frightening and uncontrollable state, is superior to civilisation. (You can link this to how in Frankenstein, Victor Frankenstein tried to scientifically create man yet what came out of this was uncontrollable violence. This was a metaphorical swipe at the Industrial Revolution and the idea that we had power over nature when in fact it is the opposite).
-   The construct of civilisation as a corrupting force on the spirit of the individual is also reflected in Rousseau’s Discourse on Inequality (1754).
-   Rousseau taught that men would be free in the state of nature and that emotion, when not distorted by the unnatural limitations of civilisation, is a great source of wisdom. (Same link to how Frankenstein explores the power of the natural world vs industrialisation)
-   The violent thunder and rain of the storm are symbolic of Catherine’s own conflicted state as well as her passionate feelings for Heathcliff.
-   Heathcliff’s personality appears to align with Rousseau’s understanding of the Noble Savage.
-   While Rousseau never actually used the phrase, the wildness of Heathcliff’s character connects with Rousseau’s view that the Noble Savage is of innate goodness, having not been exposed to the corrupting influences of civilisation.
-   Even after Heathcliff has acquired manners and appears to be cultivated, he is still inseparably linked with the natural world, which Rousseau argued as virtuous in comparison to civilisation.
-   Catherine’s own desire to return to her “savage” self on the moors leads her to the conclusion that death is the only way she can escape the entrapment of civilised life.

So, the main link is about the power of nature vs the corruption of industrialisation. It also highlights the dangers of being too logical/rational in viewing the world. You don't need every point made in Wuthering Heights to link up with Frankenstein as you want to bring in new ideas to contrast and so you don't sound too repetitive but those are the links I found :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

HomozygousRomantic

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »
These are the main ideas explored in Wuthering Heights that relate to Romanticism:

WUTHERING HEIGHTS
-   Challenged the constraints of the social hierarchy and moral code of the Enlightenment period on the individual.
-   The character of Catherine epitomises the Romantic belief that nature, even in its most frightening and uncontrollable state, is superior to civilisation. (You can link this to how in Frankenstein, Victor Frankenstein tried to scientifically create man yet what came out of this was uncontrollable violence. This was a metaphorical swipe at the Industrial Revolution and the idea that we had power over nature when in fact it is the opposite).
-   The construct of civilisation as a corrupting force on the spirit of the individual is also reflected in Rousseau’s Discourse on Inequality (1754).
-   Rousseau taught that men would be free in the state of nature and that emotion, when not distorted by the unnatural limitations of civilisation, is a great source of wisdom. (Same link to how Frankenstein explores the power of the natural world vs industrialisation)
-   The violent thunder and rain of the storm are symbolic of Catherine’s own conflicted state as well as her passionate feelings for Heathcliff.
-   Heathcliff’s personality appears to align with Rousseau’s understanding of the Noble Savage.
-   While Rousseau never actually used the phrase, the wildness of Heathcliff’s character connects with Rousseau’s view that the Noble Savage is of innate goodness, having not been exposed to the corrupting influences of civilisation.
-   Even after Heathcliff has acquired manners and appears to be cultivated, he is still inseparably linked with the natural world, which Rousseau argued as virtuous in comparison to civilisation.
-   Catherine’s own desire to return to her “savage” self on the moors leads her to the conclusion that death is the only way she can escape the entrapment of civilised life.

So, the main link is about the power of nature vs the corruption of industrialisation. It also highlights the dangers of being too logical/rational in viewing the world. You don't need every point made in Wuthering Heights to link up with Frankenstein as you want to bring in new ideas to contrast and so you don't sound too repetitive but those are the links I found :)

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! You are a life saver!