Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:18:53 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 150217 times)  Share 

k_woodbury

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2018, 06:24:17 pm »
Hi just a quick question before tomorrow because I overthink everything-
Are we able to use related texts from composers that are prescribed, but only if the text itself isn't prescribed? I'm wanting to use Wordsworth's poem 'Expostulation and Reply' and although some of Wordsworth's poetry is prescribed this particular poem isn't. I also didn't study Wordsworth but Coleridge instead.
Thanks!

alicm

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2018, 07:23:29 pm »
Hey! I'm doing After the Bomb as well, and I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem with that concept. My first creative is set in the Philippines and draws upon elements from the Vietnam War, and I haven't been told off for setting my story in a non-western environment (yet). The rubric doesn't stipulate any specific setting for the Cold War, even though it's main conflict was in Western vs. Soviet Russia, it had global rammifications (e.g, Vietnam and Korean War, rising fear of Communists in the Philippines, etc.)
Hope that helps!

Thank you so much! Good luck to you for tomorrow!

Meg Reddy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2019, 12:14:51 pm »
Hi guys, this is my first post, not sure if I'm doing this correctly but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a related text for the module worlds of upheaval? I am currently studying Frankenstein, so if anyone had some suggestions that would be great :) Thank you!

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »
+4
Hi guys, this is my first post, not sure if I'm doing this correctly but just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a related text for the module worlds of upheaval? I am currently studying Frankenstein, so if anyone had some suggestions that would be great :) Thank you!

Hi Meg!

My class is not doing your elective but I had a look at texts that would work with Frankenstein;
- Paradise Lost - John Milton
- Dracula by Bram Stoker
- Carrie by Stephen King (or you could do the 2013 movie)
- Lord of the flies by William Golding (though, this is not an easy read)

I would also look at your prelim prescribed texts for adv English and see if they work with your elective. The thing thats great about your unit is that context becomes very valuable, this is from the rubric ", students explore and evaluate textual representations of the experiences of individuals and communities seeking unity, certainty, solace, justice or restoration in periods of significant social and political change and upheaval." So in theory, many pieces of literature really work with what your elective is about. Best of luck!

Hope this helped!
meerae
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2019, 06:57:53 pm »
+3

Hey, Meg!

Welcome to the forum  ;D It's lovely to have you  :) Since you mentioned it, I just realised there isn't an official Related Texts resource yet for Extension 1 English. I've informed my friend darcyynic who made the Advanced English Related Texts list and she will get on that straight away  ;D I do have some related text suggestions below to add on from meerae's awesome ones  :) These are for the elective overall, as opposed to just, but can also work with, Frankenstein.

Related Text Suggestions

- Francisco Goya's painting The Third of May, 1808 (1814); war, morality, conscience, political division.
- George Orwell's essay Shooting an Elephant (1936); imperialism, corruption, conscience, morality.
- Thomas McGrath's poem All The Dead Soldiers (1967); war, death, disillusionment, morality.
- James G. Ballard's novel Empire of the Sun (1984); war, death, disillusionment, morality, conscience.
- John F. Kennedy's speech Ich Bin Ein Berliner (1963); communism, political division, morality, conscience.

Hope this helps! Would love to know what you end up choosing  ;D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:15:11 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2019, 11:05:29 pm »
+1
Hey, Meg!

Welcome to the forum  ;D It's lovely to have you  :) Since you mentioned it, I just realised there isn't an official Related Texts resource yet for Extension 1 English. I've informed my friend darcyynic who made the Advanced English Related Texts list and she will get on that straight away  ;D I do have some related text suggestions below to add on from meerae's awesome ones  :) These are for the elective overall, as opposed to just, but can also work with, Frankenstein.

Related Text Suggestions

- Francisco Goya's painting The Third of May, 1808 (1814); war, morality, conscience, political division.
- George Orwell's essay Shooting an Elephant (1936); imperialism, corruption, conscience, morality.
- Thomas McGrath's poem All The Dead Soldiers (1967); war, death, disillusionment, morality.
- James G. Ballard's novel Empire of the Sun (1984); war, death, disillusionment, morality, conscience.
- John F. Kennedy's speech Ich Bin Ein Berliner (1963); communism, political division, morality, conscience.

Hope this helps! Would love to know what you end up choosing  ;D

Angelina  ;D

Yess! I need related texts for my elective - it was a shock when I realised I have to look for at least two!! Are we expected to write an essay analysing at least 5 texts (3 prescribed, at least 2 related)? How does that even work?

Thanks, meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics

chantellebate

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #366 on: January 28, 2019, 09:36:21 pm »
Hey
I am currently trying to improve my personal influence on the texts I am studying in class by writing some notes (without googling or researching) about things that I have noticed such as themes and context but I still feel that it is not personal. What should I be writing notes about to help personalize my response?
thank you :)

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2019, 11:06:37 pm »
+3
Hey
I am currently trying to improve my personal influence on the texts I am studying in class by writing some notes (without googling or researching) about things that I have noticed such as themes and context but I still feel that it is not personal. What should I be writing notes about to help personalize my response?

Hey, chantellebate!
Welcome to the forums!
Personal voice is definitely important for this course. What I would suggest is to write opinionated notes on your texts' themes, I can't see where personal voice could come from for context as that is usually more research-based. It is really important to have a general opinion on your text and the themes it presents. It's also important be confident in your own voice, because as long as you have the evidence to back up your opinion, the markers can't say anything.

Another thing I would suggest is to look at the rubric for both the common module and your elective and see what it is about, then have a general opinion on the modules, this helps as you'll then be able to collect quotes on your personal voice and it can be moulded into the essay question in the exam. I believe you can find them online, if not please let me know and I can send it to you.

Hope this made sense!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #368 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:23 pm »
+3
Hey

Hey, chantellebate  ;D

This is a really delayed response from me but meerae has offered a fantastic direction for you to head in  :) One way I was able to develop my personal voice was through critical readings. When I was studying After the Bomb, I found that doing critical readings on my texts helped me to see them in a different light and eventually, I was able to garner an array of different insights upon them. What I then was able to do was choose which critical readings aligned with my personal understanding of the texts and which ones enhanced my engagement with them. For example, I read this essay which presented an interesting perspective on the idea of inaction in Waiting for Godot. This was pivotal to my own appreciation of the prescribed text and I even incorporated two quotes from it in my essay to elevate my arguments further. I would strongly recommend critical readings in Extension 1 because they can assist you in finding your voice as a student and as an English critic yourself  8) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #369 on: March 11, 2019, 07:06:51 pm »
Hi,

My extension assessment is a creative piece and we have to: illuminate the complexity of individual and collective lives in literary worlds. It should also explore and reflect on the relationship between the individual and society in times of upheaval. the text we're studying is frankenstein, so i was thinking of doing something set in the Romantic period, maybe the French revolution. does anyone have an plot/storyline ideas bc im so so stuck :/

thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #370 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:58 pm »
Hi,

My extension assessment is a creative piece and we have to: illuminate the complexity of individual and collective lives in literary worlds. It should also explore and reflect on the relationship between the individual and society in times of upheaval. the text we're studying is frankenstein, so i was thinking of doing something set in the Romantic period, maybe the French revolution. does anyone have an plot/storyline ideas bc im so so stuck :/

thanks!

Hey, Emily!

Unfortunately, I can't really give you a plot idea because it wouldn't be your own work! However, I can provide some help in other forms  ;D

Your assessment stimulus draws directly from the Extension 1 rubric and wants you to focus specifically on the interplay between the individual and the collective. The word "complexity" suggests that you need to explore how intricate and complicated situations can be for the lives of characters as a result of the world they live in. Upon "exploring and reflecting on the relationship between the individual and society in times of upheaval", your creative should look at how worlds experiencing major political, social and/or cultural change will invariably affect the way life functions. If you are having trouble with grappling this, I wrote a rubric breakdown which you can refer to for a more in-depth understanding  :)

There doesn't seem to be a requirement to write in the Romantic period so unless your heart is set on it, you could always explore a different context from your prescribed text! As long as your creative draws ideas from Frankenstein and whichever prescribed texts you have, it can be in any setting you wish. Choose a literary world that you can construct with confidence. For example, I was really fascinated by post WWII Japan and set my Extension 1 creative then because I knew a great deal about the context. Even if you don't have enough knowledge of it, if you have interest in a certain time period, do some research into it and immerse yourself in the environment that your own character/s would be living in.

After that, I would focus on figuring out the "upheaval" aspect and how you want your story to unfold. Some key questions to consider;

- Is your protagonist living in a position of wealth or poverty? How does this affect the extent of "upheaval" they face/truly face?
- Do they have individual struggles that relate to greater social issues of the time?
- What kinds of situations can you place your character/s in for them to have a certain reaction? With this playing out, what do you intend to illuminate about individual and collective lives in literary worlds?
- How much does society control the character and does this impact how they behave when confronted with scenarios that your creative will explore?
- If the world was not facing upheaval, would your character be different to how they are in your creative (element of speculation)?

Hopefully this helps! If you are still struggling to come up with a plot, always go back to the prescribed texts. Choose quotes that resonate with your understanding of the module and allow them to catalyse various creative plots based of that. Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck with the assessment!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #371 on: April 20, 2019, 07:03:59 pm »
Hi!

I have a question on note taking for extension - last term I studied Frankenstein for the World of Upheaval elective, so when creating my tables with quotes, technique, analysis, etc, should I only include quotes that reflect the world of upheaval? I'm just struggling on what aspects of the text I should be analysing

thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #372 on: April 20, 2019, 11:51:24 pm »
+2
Hi!

I have a question on note taking for extension - last term I studied Frankenstein for the World of Upheaval elective, so when creating my tables with quotes, technique, analysis, etc, should I only include quotes that reflect the world of upheaval? I'm just struggling on what aspects of the text I should be analysing

thanks!

Hey, emilyyyyyyy!

I have a few options on how you could approach studying for Extension 1. Everyone structures their study differently so hopefully one of these options will appeal to you  ;D Otherwise, give them a shot and find something that suits your style  8)

If you would like to use tables, you indeed need to be choosing quotes that reflect the Worlds of Upheaval elective. If the analysis has nothing to do with literary worlds in any way, it is not important. The module offers you a fantastic angle to view the text and to analyse it; analysing every quote that sounds good but contributes zero to your engagement with the elective itself would be a waste of time! When you create the table, pick quotes that you can assign to the rubric description. You will be able to present a judgement in your analysis on how that quote contributes to your understanding of your text as an example of a literary world imagining, experiencing and/or responding to upheaval.The adaptability of your quotes will be also be higher in likelihood and your analysis will be framed more around what the actual elective is asking of you as a result  :)

However, I never actually made any notes for Ext 1! While I made summary notes of my texts and any critical readings I completed for reference, my main method of study was through writing essays. I exposed myself to a variety of questions and possibilities to best prepare myself. All I did was select around four quotes and techniques for each text (including my related texts) that best encompassed all the aspects of the rubric. This reduced the task of having to memorise more quotes and content for an already demanding subject. It also allowed me to better develop my essay writing skills, which I argue is a huge key to success in Ext 1.

If you're struggling with finding quotes, we have these awesome resources, Frankenstein Quotes Masterlist, Frankenstein Notes and Comprehensive Frankenstein Notes, that may present alternative ways to construct your notes. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #373 on: May 05, 2019, 12:31:30 pm »
Hey guys,

So I have a couple of questions for my extension essay (it's on Worlds of Upheaval):

-should I do an integrated essay? How? After hearing about it on the forums, I asked my teacher about it, but she didn't recommend it. I've always been taught to have a separate paragraph for each text and my teacher's a HSC marker, so I'm not sure what style to stick with.
-with the common module, what does 'identity, voice and points of view' mean? Does this refer to the author and their context or the way that the text has been written?
-how would you say the film Metropolis challenges literary conventions and traditional societal values/activates a change in attitudes?

HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #374 on: May 06, 2019, 11:17:44 am »
+2
Hey guys,

So I have a couple of questions for my extension essay (it's on Worlds of Upheaval):

-should I do an integrated essay? How? After hearing about it on the forums, I asked my teacher about it, but she didn't recommend it. I've always been taught to have a separate paragraph for each text and my teacher's a HSC marker, so I'm not sure what style to stick with.
-with the common module, what does 'identity, voice and points of view' mean? Does this refer to the author and their context or the way that the text has been written?
-how would you say the film Metropolis challenges literary conventions and traditional societal values/activates a change in attitudes?

Hey, nishta!

I've got some suggestions which you can feel free to take on board if you wish based on personal experience, as well as what I have learnt from diving into the new syllabus more for Extension 1.

I would firstly say yes to integrated essays! My school highly encouraged them and as a result, so do I! They enable you to better engage with synthesis, especially with an Ext 1 essay which has up to five different texts (if you are doing poetry). However, if your teacher has recommended against using it and you are much more used to writing separate paragraphs for each text, go with that for your internals. Your teacher will be the one marking that essay so you'll want to appeal to what she has taught. After your Trials are done, work with what you think will maximise your performance. A marker is not going to deduct students' marks if they use one structure over another but there will be issues if your essay doesn't make sense and have cohesion.

If you would like to write in an integrated style, here's a link to my Ext 1 essay that I wrote for the HSC. Although the syllabus has changed, you can clearly see the structure I have implemented to ensure the texts flow and develop one another's ideas. I've also attached a link to Emily's Lecture Slides from January for Ext 1 and you can see the different ways you can approach writing paragraphs in Ext 1  ;D Basically, do with what will make you feel most comfortable because there isn't a right or wrong way  :)

As for the Common Module, "identity, voice and points of view" can be interpreted from both those lenses you have presented. It may refer to the composer and how their context, purpose and immediate audience has impacted their creative decisions within the text. It may also be explored within the characters, settings and other literary constructions within the texts. Those concepts are left open-ended for a reason and you can make the argument that the "identity, voice and points of views" expressed within the text reflect the composer's intentions and contextual values. That way, you develop a more layered argument and consider how the mechanisms of the text, and its conceptual foundations, are extensions of the composer. If you are having trouble with the Common Module, I did a break down which might help!

I didn't study Metropolis so I'm not too familiar with it but I would imagine it would both be a product of its time, as well as a challenger of its conventions, considering the nature of the module is on "upheaval" and that your text itself should embody that. With Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot, you can clearly see Romantic and Postmodern tendencies within those texts; I would imagine Modernist, and in particular German Expressionist, aesthetics similarly being so in Metropolis. Both the other two texts there have challenged notions of progress and responded to the societal values of their time in hopes of activating a change in attitudes for audiences on what they have readily accepted in their immediate worlds. I would consider how Metropolis is similarly a response to the instability and superficiality of the Weimar Republic, positioning audiences to evaluate their stance on society. Any innovative film techniques utilised to convey meaning would also be ideal to explore as they directly challenge traditional ways of representing ideas. I hope someone with more knowledge on the text can help you out with this question  :)

Very long response from me today so hope something in it helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-