Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:58:08 am

Author Topic: Exam Prep  (Read 2666 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Exam Prep
« on: May 21, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
+1
So doin 3/4 Psych but exams are crawling around the corner

When is an ideal time to start preparing for end of year exam?

When did you guys start?

Aiming to get around 40+ practise exams done for a hopefully 40+ ss

Thanks for your insights in advance  :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
Re: Exam Prep
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:35:53 am »
+3
So doin 3/4 Psych but exams are crawling around the corner

When is an ideal time to start preparing for end of year exam?

When did you guys start?

Aiming to get around 40+ practise exams done for a hopefully 40+ ss

Thanks for your insights in advance  :)

Well from my experience last year I really think it differs per subject. For example for further maths I started exam revision as soon as I completed the first unit, but I picked out the questions only relating to that unit. Realistically, you can start at any time you want, but most people start as soon as they finish all the content for the subject or as soon as they are close to finishing.

EDIT - Specifically for psych, if you do wanna start exam revision early I suggest doing questions from the VCE checkpoints book.
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

joshgoundar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 09:13:57 am »
+3
I would recommend start exam preparation once you complete unit 3
-complete practice exam questions (open book- this way you can test if your notes are sufficient)
-checkpoints will be your best friend
-when you approach section B questions regularly see your teacher for feedback on your responses
-I don't recommend re-writing your notes more than twice yes there is alot to remember for psych but application is also important!
-slow and steady wins the race, if you start early and work at a moderate pace you'll be less stressed when the exam comes around
Best of luck :)
2017: Biology, Psychology 
2018: English, Methods, Chemistry, Health and Human Development
2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:13 am »
+3
^Definitely agree on the slow and steady approach, and think that's great advice. I don't see much harm in going back and revising earlier topics throughout the year, just bit by bit.

I actually had a mid-year Psych exam, and I think that sort of forced me to really consolidate everything from the first half of the year, which was useful later on.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 06:29:31 pm »
+2
I started during term 3, although I probably could've/should've started earlier. The only issue with doing them too early is the number of questions that you haven't learned about yet. I'd say the important thing is that you're revising in some way!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:53:27 am »
+2
As a general rule of thumb, I'd say start revising for end of year exams come the end of Unit 3. I am doing 3/4 psych this year as well, and from what I've seen on the past VCAA Psych exams, most of the content will be stuff from Unit 3, with only a few questions based on sleep that you will learn in Unit 4. However, applying even further outside of psych, it would probably still make a lot of sense to study for finals once the first semester has finished. THat way you can recap all of the content learned so far and familiarise yourself with the kinds of questions that will be asked when October and November comes.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:00:50 am »
Hey everyone!

Thanks for all your advice.  :D

After year 11 exams, I think I'm  gonna pretend like I have a Psych mid - year exam and revise everything in unit 3. I also got the checkpoints book from my local library and will complete all relevant chapters to what I've learnt. I might even ask my teacher to make us to a mid year exam for psych,                   (class will hate me for it) but I think as long as I am regularly revising, I should be alright.

Thanks  :)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:26:58 pm »
+1
Start doing revision for the exam from the first day actually, after u ve wrote notes on an area of study, start doing questions on it and revising it straightaway. that way its gonna get stuck to ur brain and u dont have to go back to that aos1 again as much as in detail as before b/c it would already be fresh in ur memory after constant revising throughout the year. I actually used to do it segment by segment, so when i finished writing notes on every 2 dot points of an area of study, i would start doing questions relating to those 2 dot points straightaway and then i would repeat that process until i finished the whole aos. I did psych last year and i started doing exam questions from the first day (relating to the area of study i was on) whether its from vcaa exams or somewhere else, so i didnt have to worry about questions towards the end of the year and i kinda knew how to answer questions many months before the exam. I got a 40+ score for psych, so i think its because of my constant revising and not leaving everything to the last minute. Its always good to get some practice questions in between writing your notes, so u dont feel that stressed before an exam/sac.