Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:26 pm

Author Topic: LOGBOOK  (Read 1409 times)  Share 

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
LOGBOOK
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:55:09 pm »
Hey! So I just wanted to clarify a few things about the logbook for our BOW :)

1. Do they need to look 'aesthetic' and pretty??
2. How essential are they in the marking process? Can they alter our final BOW marks at all?
3. What sort of things should be included in the logbook?
4. Should I include mini case studies on the artists that inspire/inspired my major work?

I realise these are fairly stupid questions (my art teacher hasn't mentioned our logbooks once this year) so thank you so much if you can answer them! Much appreciated.
2018 HSC

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: LOGBOOK
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 09:56:30 pm »
Hey! So I just wanted to clarify a few things about the logbook for our BOW :)

1. Do they need to look 'aesthetic' and pretty??
2. How essential are they in the marking process? Can they alter our final BOW marks at all?
3. What sort of things should be included in the logbook?
4. Should I include mini case studies on the artists that inspire/inspired my major work?

I realise these are fairly stupid questions (my art teacher hasn't mentioned our logbooks once this year) so thank you so much if you can answer them! Much appreciated.

Hey there dcesaona!

1. Of course not! What's the point of having a pretty VAPD if you've got zero information in it? The whole point of your VAPD is to document your progress, have information about your artist/s of influence and have your experimentation in. Not to show off all these ~aesthetic~ crap (This is NOT Design & Technology!)

2. Internally, yes your VAPD is essential (unless your school does something differently). But at my school, our VAPDs got marked three times! (as apart of our proposal in term one and our BOW progress marks in terms 2 and 3). However, the weighting for the BOW was significantly higher than our VAPD. Ie; for my BOW progress marks, 80% came from my BOW and 20% came from the content of my VAPD. BUT just because the weighting for the VAPD is low compared to your BOW does not mean you should not put effort into your VAPD. I seriously recommend adding stuff in your VAPD weekly rather than trying to do everything the night before your progress mark assessment is due (I did this for my term 2 progress mark and let's say it dragged my mark for VA quite significantly, so please do not repeat the same mistake I did aha. I got it together eventually dw).

Externally, however they don't have much of an impact at all. They don't even mark your VAPD in the first place. The whole point of having a VAPD is to prove you were the one who actually did your BOW in the first place. It's kind of like a lil leaflet into your BOW journey. You may think it's useless but its actually a great introduction into you as an artist and your body of work. VAPDs are crucial in the ARTEXPRESS selection process as well because the NSW Arts Unit need proof that you did your BOW as well (can't just be a word of mouth from the HSC markers from NESA). I remember one of my art teachers told us a story during class (she was a former HSC marker) that a kid got selected for ARTEXPRESS, though his school didn't realise VAPDs were mandatory during the HSC year so the NSW Arts Unit didn't have a reference that the boy did the work.

You can have a good concept and an amazing body of work but if you don't have evidence that you did everything to back you up- then that's all your hard work down the drain.

TL;DR- Don't neglect your VAPD please. It's like your pet. Treat it well.

3. Like mentioned previously, documentation of progress (pictures, maybe a link to a video?, actual written logs if you want etc. But pictures are the most common form of documentation as it is very straightforward), information about your artist/s of influence and experimentation (however this should only be done during the first term because at this rate you really shouldn't be experimenting because you need to be working on your BOW).

4. Yes definitely!!! The markers will see how your artist/s have influenced your work and will see how you've created your own personal twist on your BOW.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.