Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:26:14 pm

Author Topic: Horizontal Asymptotes  (Read 1557 times)  Share 

Shoesta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Horizontal Asymptotes
« on: May 15, 2017, 09:39:31 pm »
Hi all, how do I work out the horizontal asymptote? I know this is  a stupid question, but I genuinely can't work them out! Thanks.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Horizontal Asymptotes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:43:58 pm »
Hi all, how do I work out the horizontal asymptote? I know this is  a stupid question, but I genuinely can't work them out! Thanks.

Hey! So horizontal asymptotes look at limiting behaviour of functions, let's see what happens as \(x\to\infty\):

In the middle there, I've divided every term in the fraction by \(x^2\) to make the behaviour more clear. In the new form, clearly the 2 and 1 are unaffected, while the \(\frac{9}{x^2}\) will shrink away as \(x\) gets huge. So, really, all that will be left is \(\frac{2}{1}=2\)! Now this is the limiting behaviour, it will never actually reach the value of 2: So, \(y=2\) becomes our horizontal asymptote ;D

Does this help a little? Horizontal asymptotes are a little tricky :)

Shoesta

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:54 pm »
Hey! So horizontal asymptotes look at limiting behaviour of functions, let's see what happens as \(x\to\infty\):

In the middle there, I've divided every term in the fraction by \(x^2\) to make the behaviour more clear. In the new form, clearly the 2 and 1 are unaffected, while the \(\frac{9}{x^2}\) will shrink away as \(x\) gets huge. So, really, all that will be left is \(\frac{2}{1}=2\)! Now this is the limiting behaviour, it will never actually reach the value of 2: So, \(y=2\) becomes our horizontal asymptote ;D

Does this help a little? Horizontal asymptotes are a little tricky :)

Thanks :) So, I should divide all the terms in the function by the highest power of x? And then look at how the function will behave when I insert increasing values of x?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:55:47 pm »
Thanks :) So, I should divide all the terms in the function by the highest power of x? And then look at how the function will behave when I insert increasing values of x?