Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:30:42 pm

Author Topic: 5 vs 4 subjects in year 12?  (Read 513 times)  Share 

nicolalica

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
5 vs 4 subjects in year 12?
« on: August 13, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
Hello!

So basically here's my situation- I had a chat today with my year level coordinator about dropping unit 2 lit (I'm in year 11). I'm doing three english subjects and due to an extended absence I'm not coping well with my workload and trying to catch up. As literature is my least enjoyable and most stressful subject, and I'm 100% not doing it in year 12, I am trying to drop it.
My coordinator was chill with allowing me to drop a subject however she expressed concern that if I dropped this subject, I would have the minimum level of vce units by the end of year 12.
 I was confused and told her I was doing 5 subjects next year, to which she said would be a heavy workload to do 5 instead of 4. When I specified the 5 3/4 subjects I was planning on doing (english, busman, legal, health and english language), she said that's doable. She did question if I wasn't coping with 5 subjects in year 11, would I be okay with 5 in year 12 but my main struggle is balancing 3 english subjects, not doing 5 subjects overall.
 if I drop lit and do 5 subjects next year, I'll finish year 12 with 19 units, compared to if I only did 4 year 12 subjects, I'll finish with 17. Alternatively if I kept lit (which I rlly don't want to) and did 4 subjects in yr12, I'd be finishing with 18 units.
ANYWAY my coordinator's main reasoning for reconsidering dropping lit was that assumably I'd be only doing 4 subjects in year 12 and to be on the safe side, she recommends students complete more than the minimum level of vce units. Obvs I get that but I feel that by keeping lit I'd just be carrying an unnecessary weight on my back for the rest of this year.
I have just moved to this school at the start of this year and at my old school 5 year 12 subjects was the norm so I kinda always planned to do 5? All the people I've spoken to did 5 unit 3/4 subjects in year 12 so idk maybe 4 is the norm at my current school, but I find it unusual.
I don't know if this made sense but yeah would like to hear other's thoughts/opinions regarding this.

Cheers!