Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:30:49 pm

Author Topic: What it takes to 'master' a subject  (Read 390 times)  Share 

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
What it takes to 'master' a subject
« on: August 12, 2019, 03:07:00 pm »
+3
Hello! I made this thread both because I'm nervous about upcoming exams and also for year 12 next year. I've heard billions of stories where people got mediocre scores in 1/2, then fully aced 3/4 and ended up with a raw 50. I guess I just don't understand what you're supposed to do to be able to get to that sort of level. Is it because they do practice exam after practice exam? I don't understand how I can get to that point with my own studies.

For example, I've always been a bright English student in year 10 and younger. However, in year 11 my marks have significantly dropped. This is mainly because in younger levels I just wrote whatever I wanted to write and I ended up getting good marks because it miraculously made sense, however I know I actually have no idea what an actual A+ essay is supposed to look like. If marking for English can be so subjective, is there truly a certain way to always ace your essays? How am I supposed to master the skill of essay writing? Is there some sort of trick all those high achievers use to do so well in their subjects?

Although I mainly target this at English, I'm also worried about all my other subjects. I mean, I don't understand how exactly one supposed to go about 'mastering' a subject well enough to get a 50, or a 45+, or a 40+. I myself have never actually gotten a raw 100% (not scaled) on any of my psych sacs, and I have no idea how this will translate to my performance on the exam. I really want to do well, and I have 3 months to figure out how so for my 3/4 subjects this year, and more than a year to do it for my other subjects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! What do you guys think goes into being a master at a subject, and how would one go about achieving this level of understanding?
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash