Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:47:52 pm

Author Topic: Too late to improve scores for Yr 12?  (Read 4184 times)  Share 

aaziz17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Sirius College
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Too late to improve scores for Yr 12?
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »
Im a yr 11 student. As the year is coming to an end im worried about my English scores im averaging mid 60's and would like to improve to mid or high 80's. Im willing to work hard over these summer holidays as i really want a 35-40 study score. What would i need to do between now and next year to improve? Thank you very much in advance.
Class of 2015 | English | Methods | Further | Bio| Accounting|

Jawnle

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: Too late to improve scores for Yr 12?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:27 pm »
Im a yr 11 student. As the year is coming to an end im worried about my English scores im averaging mid 60's and would like to improve to mid or high 80's. Im willing to work hard over these summer holidays as i really want a 35-40 study score. What would i need to do between now and next year to improve? Thank you very much in advance.

To address your topic, it's never too late! I knew this girl who had constant Ds for her sacs in yr 11 and ended with average B+-A for her year 12 sacs. So don't be too worried!

Maybe read the texts before hand and create summary notes?
Or touch up on techniques used by the author in language analysis/text response

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:05:46 pm »
+1
Agreed, I've known people who have made leaps from C+s to As within a couple of weeks. It's all about knowing where you're going wrong though.
Think about it, if someone told you they were getting 60% and wanted to know how to improve, you'd have no idea what to tell them. They might have awesome topic sentences and quotes, but their ideas and vocab are simplistic. Or the opposite might be true. There are many different ways to get 60% (or any score for that matter, including 100%) so it's all about finding your weaknesses.

Best question to ask at this point: what do you find hard about English? Be as specific as possible; just saying 'Text Response' won't give you much to work with. Try and isolate these problem areas, and they'll be much easier to deal with :)

aaziz17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 10:16:47 pm »
Thank you both. I have noticed my vocabulary is very simple so how would you go about addressing that? Also I really not sure what i need to improve on. Do you suggest a intensive course over the holidays with a tutor?
And i really dont know where im bad at if i did know id fix it :P. My teacher isnt a solution he doesnt even respond to my emails (probably playing destiny). Would it be rude if i went to another VCE english teacher in my school?

Agreed, I've known people who have made leaps from C+s to As within a couple of weeks. It's all about knowing where you're going wrong though.
Think about it, if someone told you they were getting 60% and wanted to know how to improve, you'd have no idea what to tell them. They might have awesome topic sentences and quotes, but their ideas and vocab are simplistic. Or the opposite might be true. There are many different ways to get 60% (or any score for that matter, including 100%) so it's all about finding your weaknesses.

Best question to ask at this point: what do you find hard about English? Be as specific as possible; just saying 'Text Response' won't give you much to work with. Try and isolate these problem areas, and they'll be much easier to deal with :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:24:21 pm »
+1
Vocab is a great thing to address early. Compiling lists is a helpful starting point. Plenty of resources out there for L.A. persuasive devices or words to describe the way views and values are communicated through Section A texts. Keep adding to these constantly; any new words that you find interesting, especially ones used in other essays. You won't see results right away, but it will make a big difference in the end.

It's perfectly fine to be unsure of your abilities at this point though. In fact, throughout most of Year 12 you'll be reassessing where you're at, so it's not like you have to decide on three weaknesses now and never think about this again. Rereading practice essays is probably the best place to start. Unfortunately if your teacher has been less than helpful with the feedback then you'll be on your own for this first part. Maybe compare your approach to higher scoring essays; what are they doing differently, and how can you incorporate these techniques to suit your style?
Tutoring is by no means a necessity to do well. For the most part, it'll depend on the quality of your teacher next year.
I'd be very careful seeing another teacher. If you're on good terms with one of them then by all means go for it, but you don't want to risk annoying your current teacher (who will presumably be marking your Year 11 exam?) by making him feel inferior. English teachers are sensitive sometimes...
The Submissions Board here can help you out, but attempting to identify these concern yourself should defintely be the priority over these holidays.

aaziz17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:36:39 pm »
Vocab is a great thing to address early. Compiling lists is a helpful starting point. Plenty of resources out there for L.A. persuasive devices or words to describe the way views and values are communicated through Section A texts. Keep adding to these constantly; any new words that you find interesting, especially ones used in other essays. You won't see results right away, but it will make a big difference in the end.

It's perfectly fine to be unsure of your abilities at this point though. In fact, throughout most of Year 12 you'll be reassessing where you're at, so it's not like you have to decide on three weaknesses now and never think about this again. Rereading practice essays is probably the best place to start. Unfortunately if your teacher has been less than helpful with the feedback then you'll be on your own for this first part. Maybe compare your approach to higher scoring essays; what are they doing differently, and how can you incorporate these techniques to suit your style?
Tutoring is by no means a necessity to do well. For the most part, it'll depend on the quality of your teacher next year.
I'd be very careful seeing another teacher. If you're on good terms with one of them then by all means go for it, but you don't want to risk annoying your current teacher (who will presumably be marking your Year 11 exam?) by making him feel inferior. English teachers are sensitive sometimes...
The Submissions Board here can help you out, but attempting to identify these concern yourself should defintely be the priority over these holidays.

Me and my teacher do not get on well its too late for that. I find the other vce teacher really good had her for a sub a couple times. Could you compile a list of things for me to do these holidays? Also will people mark my essay if i post it here?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »
+1
Could you compile a list of things for me to do these holidays?
I think it would be much more effective if you were to compile this list. Again, you'll be working on this throughout the year, and being aware of your strengths and limitations is very important. It's not like anyone can just give you a list of 'stuff to improve' and then your marks will skyrocket, especially since I'm unfamiliar with your writing.

Also will people mark my essay if i post it here?
The English Work Submission and Marking is where the marking and feedback happens, but you're more likely to get responses if you're willing to help other people in return :)

aaziz17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 11:39:31 am »
Thank you you very much  ;D ;D ;D

AmericanBeauty

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 11:57:59 am »
2-3 days before my English exam I was scoring 11/20 from my teacher. Within this time frame, I turned it around and I'm pretty sure I could be getting 9's or even 10's on my exam.