Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:46 am

Author Topic: Let's talk about travel  (Read 4850 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Let's talk about travel
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:11 pm »
+6
I'm really interested to start a travel thread for some ~inspiration~ and some ~learning~

Some suggestions for you to bounce off:
1. Have you travelled? Where?
2. What do you think of gaps years for travel?
3. Would you study or work abroad?
4. Where would you like to travel? Why? Why not?
5. Do you think we take for granted that we live in Australia and not travel it enough?
6. Is there somewhere you recommend people travel to?
7. What do you like to do when travelling? Are you the museum type? The sightseeing type? The tropical/relaxing type?

I'd love to know your thoughts, dreams, experiences...  :D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:01:28 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

NAT0003

Re: Let's talk about travel
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:02 pm »
+2
I'm really interested to start a travel thread for some ~inspiration~ and some ~learning~

5. Do you think we take for granted that we live in Australia and not travel it enough?
7. What do you like to do when travelling? Are you the museum type? The sightseeing type? The tropical/relaxing type?

1. Malaysia, singapore and go back to India every 2 years, because that's where i'm from
2. Exciting opportunity to explore diferent places
3. Woudn't mind studying abroad, but woudn't really want to work abroad
4. Would want to travel to europe, because there's so much tourist attractions
5. To some extent, yes
6. Malaysia and Singapore, fascinating places with lots off shops and tourist attractions, also clean countries
7. Mainly tourist attractions, like natural scenery

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 11:12:15 pm »
+2
Europe + China

Depends on the person. I wouldn't be able to do it though.

Probably going on a winter exchange these holidays. If not, definitely studying abroad next year :)
I'm planning on moving to London or somewhere in Europe after I graduate, we'll see how it goes :)

Everywhere tbh! Other than the typical Europe stuff, I'd love to go to somewhere like Africa, Southeast Asia, South America, Pacific Islands etc. - some of the 'lesser travelled' places. I would love to see what life is like there, experience it and especially in some poorer countries, see what I can do to help out :)
I don't really have any desire to travel to the US though (not for political reasons lol, just doesn't seem interesting except maybe the food haha)

Yes, Australia is a huge country and I'd love to take a road trip around it. Never been to Queensland or anywhere not on the east coast, would love to go somewhere like the country side to see what it's like too :)
Also, because Australia is so far isolated from the rest of the world, it is more inconvenient for us to travel overseas.

Go where your heart wants.
I went to France during their winter right before Christmas, the atmosphere is amazing!

This is kinda weird because I prefer visiting museums for some reason! I just love reading up on the histories and cultures of the past or the lives of the peoples of the countries/areas.
Sightseeing can get a bit too tiring, but I wouldn't mind it :P

What about you? :)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:19:29 pm »
+2
I've travelled throughout some of Australia -- namely rural Victoria (used to help out on a family farm), rural New South Wales (sister ran a pub there, I spent a summer helping), and the Northern Territory. I've only been on one family holiday, but we went to Vanuatu and New Caladonia, which was fantastic!
Sounds like a great idea. It's something I'd love to do, although so far, I'm thinking of belaying a gigantic travel trip until after uni, and being a bit responsible beforehand, for purely monetary reasons.
I'd love to do both! Although given my suckiness with languages, I am very limited. I spent 2 months living in a Bulgarian household, and have been going there for dinner almost every week for four years, and I still can't pronounce the sounds properly!
Scandinavia and Finland are on the top of my list, purely because they're absolutely beautiful, and all the best bands are from there :P Also Bulgaria, as my best mate is from there, and she has been telling me about it for years.
I don't think it's about taking for granted, but more that it seems much less exotic compared to other places, as we obviously live here.
The Northern Territory. Different lifestyle, different people, even different flies :P
I'd love to see museums, but my favourite thing to do would be go into nature, and see those sights. For an example of the things I'd love to see, look up Geirangerfjord!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:21:47 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:39:15 pm »
+1
Probably going on a winter exchange these holidays. If not, definitely studying abroad next year :)
I'm planning on moving to London or somewhere in Europe after I graduate, we'll see how it goes :)

So interesting! Tell me more about this? Exciting thoughts!!!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:04 pm »
+2
Well we know your answer to this  ;) Totally not extremely, all consumingly, painfully jealous.

But my answers okay.

1. Does moving countries count as travelling? Moved from England to Australia when I was 8 years old (10 years in Australia this year whoop whoop). Since we only planned on staying in Australia for a year, we did a lot of sight seeing in the first year. Victorian Great Ocean Road (dad got attacked by a koala...), Great Barrier Reef (brother got attacked by coral...), Sydney (as a tourist, since I actually lived in Melbourne for the first year - ended up accidentally bumping into someone that went to my primary school IN ENGLAND at Bondi), Canberra etc. etc.
Internationally since the majority of my family lives in France travelled a lot around there. Spent a few days in Thailand too which was also really cool :)

2. Would have loved to have done it if I had the money/someone who wanted to travel with me.

3. Your trip to Venice and the recent Communications orientation at UTS may have persuaded me...  ;) Thinking somewhere in France (borderline obsessed with that country) or maybe somewhere completely different :)

4. I really want to do a massive trip to see all the historical sites I studied throughout year 12. Russia in particular, but also Pompeii/Herculaneum, the Western Front, Berlin, etc. I'm also really keen to go to Santorini in Greece for no other reason than it just looks magical :P

5. I don't think that I do considering I haven't always lived here, but I definitely think that A LOT of Australians do. The fact that I've travelled further across Australia than a lot of my friends have who have lived here since birth still surprises me.

6. Amboise in France. The loveliest town, walking through it (particularly the area around the Chateau) makes you feel like you're in a Disney princess movie.

7. Everything and anything. As long as I'm not just sitting in my hotel room all day  ;)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:58:57 am »
+1
I love this thread. Travelling is amazing, apart from the airports and planes (I'm not scared of flying, I just don't enjoy the flights much).

1.Have you travelled? Where?

London, Hong Kong (mainly because of flight connections), Japan and most of Central Asia (including north-west China).

I feel like I need to travel with a purpose. Especially with gap years, where I would graduate one year later as a later as result, as well as the costs involved, I would need interesting projects/ research/international journalism /internships to justify the travel.

I would love to, in the long-term I aspire to work in either of the Global Medicine or International Law fields where many institutions for these areas are based in Europe. Living in London is ridiculously expensive though (I rejected a scholarship from a central London uni because of living costs).

I'm hoping to study abroad in London (because the university and city is amazing) next year or the year after. I've always wanted to do an exchange in Europe because the debating circuit over there does British-parliamentary debating all year round (I prefer BP over Australs).

Central Asia, South-east Asia and South + Central America: The authenticity, down-to-earth nature, exotic culture, picturesque towns, lost civilizations contained within, the lush and captivating natural landscapes. Also as someone interested in economic development, culture and environmental sustainability, I'm interested in how cultural identity influences economic development and self-determination in such places.

Iceland: Games of Thrones was filmed there. Nuff said? The breathtaking, magical natural landscape. It also has some of the best Northern Lights spots.

London, Paris, Edinburgh, Vienna, Copenhagen and Prague: The fairy-tale castles, imperial palaces, baroque/gothic streetscapes. Also Vienna for the classical music. Cities of dreams.

The Balkans/former Yugoslavian states: I am interested in the history and the progress made towards peace in that region after the Yugoslav Wars. I am also would like a better insight into the self-determination, cultural identity and marginalization of minority groups such as the Roma people.

Istanbul and Jerusalem: The layers of history and sacred buildings.  :D

I think that's the same for every other country though, it whole world outside seems more exciting. We're intrigued by places and culture aren't of close proximity to us. But yes, I would love to see more of Australia. Hopefully I'll get a few more opportunities to see more of it in the next few years with uni debating (the Australian intervarsity in in Wollongong and Australasians is in Queensland this year).

CENTRAL ASIA!!! The region encapsulates the romance of the Silk Road like nowhere else. You get the best of both worlds: unrivalled natural landscape and medieval architecture from the ancient cities. There's the glorious weight of history and the sense of travelling in the sandprints of some of history's greatest travelers. Also the local hospitality, homestays and community-based tourism are lovely.

If I had to choose one place from there though, it would be Kyrgyzstan because of its natural beauty: unspoilt mountainscapes, stark craggy ridges, and rolling summer pastures are brought to life by semi-nomadic, yurt-dwelling shepherd cultures.

Also London for the best museums, architecture, and galleries

I prefer to engage in the cultural experiences. That's why I hope to get internships/funding for interesting projects/research related to global medicine, international law, economic development, environmental/energy sustainability and minority identities/self-determination/culture/ marginalization in the years to come. I love architectural sightseeing, nature and museums though.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 03:04:08 pm »
+1
This may just be my new favourite thread....

Have you travelled? Where?

This time last year I'd never set foot out of Australia, but now I can happily report I've travelled to Vanuatu, Singapore, India and Nepal!

Would you study or work abroad?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I'm going to have to get creative to plan a exchange at some point during university, since my course is very specific and prescriptive in order to be qualified at the end.

Where would you like to travel? Why?

Anywhere. Seriously. I'm heading on a family trip to the US soon. But some places that usually stick to the forefront of my mind include Morocco, Italy, China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Peru. Without sounding too airy fairy, I'm never quite sure why I want to go to a particular place, something random will grab my interest and I just get a feeling that its where I want to be.

Do you think we take for granted that we live in Australia and not travel it enough?

Totally. I've been up and down and around the east coast all my life but I often feel ashamed that I haven't seen Uluru with my own eyes, or felt the sand of a Western Australian beach between my toes. 

Varanasi, India. It will blow your mind.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:57 pm »
+1
A couple southern European countries, indonesia malaysa singapore, a few of the french pacific islands, uae (dubai)

Could be fun if you spend your time productively. it might be hard to fund otherwise. even then, i feel like i am very different to most people as I am pretty travel-neutral.  i dont really super enjoy travelling or anything, but i dont dislike it either. i usually just end up going somewhere because there will be a good opportunity for study/work/all my friends are going somewhere.  but if you like travelling then a travelling gap year would be fun!

Yep I've done both and will be studying abroad again this year. also have 1 job offer for a job overseas which i have knocked back and a few more potentially coming up in the early stages of the process. its not that im particularly keen to go elsewhere for these things, but there are some great opportunities overseas, and i can get into being productive in foreign environments really easily, so when a good opportunity comes up i obviously go for it

difficult question for me. there are no places that really grab me in particular, but i think the maldives would be a good honeymoon spot, and i would love to go to vegas or something with my friends cos it would be fun. so those are probably the two big ones on my to-do list.

yes! but mainly if your looking for natural beauty rather than a cultural experience.
 i feel like alot of travelling is about different cultures and languages and things. ive been to every aussie state and i can tell you that all the afl states are pretty similiar and all the rugby states are pretty similiar. i drove to uluru for a holiday and pretty much at any point in the trip you couldve told me i was a few hours out of melbourne and i would believe you. the only really big cultural difference ive noticed in australia is the afl/rugby split (the Barassi line). it goes well beyond the sport but thats the best way to outline which states are different. melbourne/perth/adelaide all feel really similiar. similiar culture from everything like slang to pub etiquette to just general mindsets people have i think are quite similiar. and then once you go to sydney/brisbane/canberra/gold coast/north qld   it is quite distinctively different to the other places ive mentioned. (well at least it feels that way to me LOL i might be completely wrong)
BUT i think if you travel as a fan of natural beauty, you are doing yourself a MASSIVE let down by not seeing australia first. parts of queensland are really beautiful, uluru is awesome to go and climb once in your life, WA has some awesome natural shit and you see some funny random shit just driving through the country.
in general though i think people do under-appreciate how good domestic travel can be

6.Is there somewhere you recommend people travel to?
there are alot of really cool islands in the south pacific that are worth a visit once in your life. i also think singapore is a must for 2-3 days. if youre flying to europe or something and are going through singapore just take a couple of days, and spend at elast 1 night in marina bay sands so you can swim in the pool. also if you ever end up being rich, singapore is a great place to live, its just so safe and so conducive to a baller lifestyle. if i became a billionaire tomorrow i would be living in singapore 100%

i usually travel to do things like study etc.  im probably really weird and alot of people might think its crazy but i really get nothing out of museums/sightseeing or even travelling to relax, we have great beaches in australia !!  i just really feel like globalisation as a whole has made the wonder of travel significantly diminished. the difference between museums in athens and museums in malaysia is barely noticeable. i think if i had to pick a reason for leisure travel it would definitely be a cultural thing. to try new foods and lifestyles and get immersed in it probably. but for me personally that doesnt even appeal that much. im not sure what it is but something clicked with me when i first studied abroad. no matter where in the world you go, people will be people. they study, they eat, they live, they love, a human here is no different to a human in mongolia. and even with cultural differences and etiquette, i really do feel like in general there is a common humanity in all people that has significantly diminished the awe in travelling from me. i blame the internet !!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:27:03 pm by spectroscopy »

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:05:30 pm »
+1

Some suggestions for you to bounce off:

1. Italy, South Korea, China, Dubai, Thailand
2. I think it's a great idea to collect yourself, especially after the HSC... where the copious amounts of stress might alter who you are. I personally wouldn't undertake a travelling gap year just because I don't want to fall behind in my years at Uni.
3. YES Definitely, especially China. I love the city.
4. Definitely America, and almost every Asian country (Super keen on going to Japan)
5. Yes definitely!
6. China and Italy. Contrasting countries but both beautiful and the culture is just unbelievably raw and exciting
7. I hate to admit this but I'm the shopping type. Also the one tourist that takes photos of EVERYTHING, I'm such a sentimental person so yep, I'm the type to keep a napkin with the logo of a resturaunt (I still have one from a pizzeria in Rome I went to at around 12 years old), as well as the type to keep receipts, plane tickets etc...I can't help it it's just who I am! I love exploring non-tourist areas, when I was 15 I went to a city in China by myself and I loved it, it was beautiful just getting to know the culture with my own thoughts and having the chance to pretty much go wherever I choose to
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:46 pm »
+2
This may just be my new favourite thread....

Have you travelled? Where?

This time last year I'd never set foot out of Australia, but now I can happily report I've travelled to Vanuatu, Singapore, India and Nepal!

PSA: Sarah has written two amazing pieces about her travels to share with us on ATAR Notes! We'll publish them in the next week and share them here for y'all to get the travel feels from!!

New question:

Is there someone that you just do not want to travel? You don't really feel the hype about it? Is there somewhere you'd boycott because of political reasons? Or because it just seems overrated?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 08:11:45 pm »
+2
Our MVP of NSW 2016 ATAR Notes, Sarah, has written two blogs on AN about her experience of travelling when the HSC finished. She went to Nepal and India!

Here she busts travel myths for students and explains how she managed to pull this off.

Here she blogs the best parts of her trip and it's definitely going to make you jealous.

Thank you for sharing Sarah :)

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 09:18:43 am »
+3
I loved reading this thread! :D

1. Have you travelled? Where? I went on a six month student exchange program for the second semester of year 10 to Denver, Colorado in the good ol' US of A. It was such a great program as not only did I get to attend an American high school and experience living there for six months, I got to do trips with the fellow seven Aussies that also did the program! We did Vegas/Grand Canyon, New York, LA, a snow trip - it was the best learning experience and one I'll never forget! :) I also went on a cruise to Fiji/New Caledonia previous to the exchange which was fantastic also!

2. What do you think of gaps years for travel? My time overseas definitely gave me the travel bug, so I think they are a pretty tantalising option! Although personally really excited to start uni and meet new people, so I don't think that I would take a whole year off to travel as you get such long uni holidays!! Ahhhhh

3. Would you study or work abroad? 100% hahaha, I have a list a mile long as you could probably guess by now ;) I would love to do another exchange in uni.

4. Where would you like to travel? Why? Why not? I'm very keen to visit the family that I stayed with in America, and apart from that just all of Europe, anywhere and everywhere.

5. Do you think we take for granted that we live in Australia and not travel it enough? Yesss. We have so many beautiful places in our country and the diversity of it is really unique to Australia.

6. Is there somewhere you recommend people travel to? Uluru, I found it such a significant cultural experience, I hope more Aussies continue to go!

7. What do you like to do when travelling? Are you the museum type? The sightseeing type? The tropical/relaxing type? Anything! I try to experience as much as I can, whatever the place has to offer I will willingly try (Except maybe cliff jumping...) :P

I'd love to hear more about your exchange Elyse!
[/quote]
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:46 pm »
+3
I loved reading this thread! :D

1. Have you travelled? Where? I went on a six month student exchange program for the second semester of year 10 to Denver, Colorado in the good ol' US of A. It was such a great program as not only did I get to attend an American high school and experience living there for six months, I got to do trips with the fellow seven Aussies that also did the program! We did Vegas/Grand Canyon, New York, LA, a snow trip - it was the best learning experience and one I'll never forget! :) I also went on a cruise to Fiji/New Caledonia previous to the exchange which was fantastic also!
I'm finding it really interesting that a few people have told me they've done semester exchanges during High School. I really didn't know these kinds of programs existed in Australia! We had french exchange students come to our school but it was organised through a European organisation.

6. Is there somewhere you recommend people travel to? Uluru, I found it such a significant cultural experience, I hope more Aussies continue to go!

Since being overseas, a lot of people have asked me about where I would go in Australia. Uluru and Tasmania are top of my lists now! I hope to go to at least one in the second half of this year.
I'd love to hear more about your exchange Elyse!
I'd love to know what you'd like to know! I'll write a post up here on AN about it all - what interests you? :)

Snew

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »
+2
Since being overseas, a lot of people have asked me about where I would go in Australia. Uluru and Tasmania are top of my lists now! I hope to go to at least one in the second half of this year. I'd love to know what you'd like to know! I'll write a post up here on AN about it all - what interests you? :)
[/quote]

So many questions :P
1. What was the process? Did you have to get selected etc. Are there many students who do it from UTS? and how are you finding university and the immersion into a different language/culture? And what are your living arrangements, are you living on a campus?
HSC 2017:

Studies of Religion I
Advanced English
General Mathematics
Biology
Modern History
Music I

ATAR Goal: 85+
Course Wanted: Bachelor of Nursing at UTS