Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:18:36 am

Author Topic: Doing 4 subjects + Uni Extension in Yr 12  (Read 6962 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Doing 4 subjects + Uni Extension in Yr 12
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:33:14 pm »
Hello everyone
So im currently in yr 11 and doing psychology3/4

next year I really want to only do 4 VCE subjects at school including
- Methods
- Chemistry
-English
-Further

methods, chem ,  and  English are subjects that I have to work hard for as they don't come naturally to me which is why instead of doing 5 subjects I only want to do 4.

I'm also  not sure if my school allows 4 subjects so I was wondering how is UMEP or Monash or any other university enhancement program in psychology.

Is it extremely difficult ?

currently  I really love psych and wouldn't mind doing a uni enhancement as long as it doesn't become a major burden.

Please share your insights if you have done this subject

thanks  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:48:54 pm by Calebark »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
Re: DOING 4 VCE SUBJECTS IN YR 12
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:53 pm »
+1
Hello everyone
So im currently in yr 11 and doing psychology3/4

next year I really want to only do 4 VCE subjects at school including
- Methods
- Chemistry
-English
-Further

methods, chem ,  and  English are subjects that I have to work hard for as they don't come naturally to me which is why instead of doing 5 subjects I only want to do 4.

I'm also  not sure if my school allows 4 subjects so I was wondering how is UMEP or Monash or any other university enhancement program in psychology.

Is it extremely difficult ?

currently  I really love psych and wouldn't mind doing a uni enhancement as long as it doesn't become a major burden.

Please share your insights if you have done this subject

thanks  :)

You will still end up doing 6 so you will be fine.

Haven't done UMEP/MUEP psych, so can't comment on that, but overall, workload for a uni subject, in vce, is a lot less, most of the time.

tbh if you like psych and want to put in more time into those 4 vce subjects, I think that that is a good idea.

Hope this helps. :)
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:45:02 pm »
+1
I did MUEP chemistry in year 12 but also have knowledge on MUEP/UMEP maths/biology/biomed.

Also when I was in year 12 monash/unimelb didn't have psych only Deakin which a few friends of mine studied.

let me know if you have any questions.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:03:58 pm »
I did MUEP chemistry in year 12 but also have knowledge on MUEP/UMEP maths/biology/biomed.

Also when I was in year 12 monash/unimelb didn't have psych only Deakin which a few friends of mine studied.

let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Sine

Just wanting to know how you found MUEP Chemistry

Was it difficult to manage along with VCE and did it help you improve your chemistry results in Year 12?

also if you don't mind me asking, what was your average for year 11?

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:09:10 pm by Ionic Doc »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:24:25 pm »
+1
Hey Sine

Just wanting to know how you found MUEP Chemistry

Was it difficult to manage along with VCE and did it help you improve your chemistry results in Year 12?

also if you don't mind me asking, what was your average for year 11?

Thanks  :)
Yeah definitely manageable.

The first exam is in june so you basically have heaps of time to study for that since there aren't any mid-year VCE exams anymore. Overall, though most of us who did chem just crammed the content in during the week before and it was good enough for most people to get 4.5/5 out of 5.

However, the second exam can be trickier since it is right in the middle of all the VCE exams but still definitely very possible to do well in.(I think my methods exams was the day after the MUEP exam for me).

I don't think it really helped me with year 12 chemistry in terms of scoring - the content covered is actually a bit different but definitely gave me a better and more holistic understanding of chemistry at the time.

For my average in year 11 I can't really remember. I wouldn't worry too much about the requirements needed to get into uni extension subjects though I found that they are pretty relaxed with them. E.g. people with mid 30's in methods being allowed to do extension maths.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 09:29:26 pm »
Yeah definitely manageable.

The first exam is in june so you basically have heaps of time to study for that since there aren't any mid-year VCE exams anymore. Overall, though most of us who did chem just crammed the content in during the week before and it was good enough for most people to get 4.5/5 out of 5.

However, the second exam can be trickier since it is right in the middle of all the VCE exams but still definitely very possible to do well in.(I think my methods exams was the day after the MUEP exam for me).

I don't think it really helped me with year 12 chemistry in terms of scoring - the content covered is actually a bit different but definitely gave me a better and more holistic understanding of chemistry at the time.

For my average in year 11 I can't really remember. I wouldn't worry too much about the requirements needed to get into uni extension subjects though I found that they are pretty relaxed with them. E.g. people with mid 30's in methods being allowed to do extension maths.

Hey thanks for your response

When you say people getting mid 30’s I’m assuming you mean their study score right?

Anyways I’m praying that I get decent results with my 3/4 psychology and other 1/2 subjects to have the opportunity to do extension science of some sort.

Thanks

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:57:16 pm »
Hey thanks for your response

When you say people getting mid 30’s I’m assuming you mean their study score right?

Anyways I’m praying that I get decent results with my 3/4 psychology and other 1/2 subjects to have the opportunity to do extension science of some sort.

Thanks
Yeah study score.

Some unis will talk about 40+ study scores being preferred but in the past it hasn't been that big of a determining factor for the most part.

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »
+1
Just wanted to add a few things regarding UMEP psych. I haven't done it as a UMEP subject, but UMEP Psych is equivalent to the two first year Psych subjects at melb (which I have done). I'd recommend taking a look at these reviews for the subjects MBB1 and MBB2, to get a grasp of the level of difficulty and content covered. Other things to consider are getting to Unimelb as you are required to attend a two-hour tutorial class each week that discusses content raised in the lectures.

Let me know if you have any questions as I've only covered it briefly.
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 02:21:59 pm »
Just wanted to add a few things regarding UMEP psych. I haven't done it as a UMEP subject, but UMEP Psych is equivalent to the two first year Psych subjects at melb (which I have done). I'd recommend taking a look at these reviews for the subjects MBB1 and MBB2, to get a grasp of the level of difficulty and content covered. Other things to consider are getting to Unimelb as you are required to attend a two-hour tutorial class each week that discusses content raised in the lectures.

Let me know if you have any questions as I've only covered it briefly.

thanks so much
I've read both the links and they have motivated me even more ( content looks interesting ) the only problem is figuring out how to attend the tutorials. Could you let me know the location of the campus, like where specifically in Melbourne.
Anyways my first issue is to get in . . . I can figure all that out later

thanks

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 02:51:06 pm »
+2
thanks so much
I've read both the links and they have motivated me even more ( content looks interesting ) the only problem is figuring out how to attend the tutorials. Could you let me know the location of the campus, like where specifically in Melbourne.
Anyways my first issue is to get in . . . I can figure all that out later

thanks
It's obviously not something you have to worry about too much now. The campus is located relatively close to the CBD (shown in the below image) and is quite accessible via public transport.

2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych