Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:45:51 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231797 times)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1950 on: May 25, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »
oh okay ;D
I was also wondering is there a particular structure for opinion essays? I am a bit confused about how its different from a regular essay
I'm not so sure about this! When I blog, I make sure there is a clear understanding of the audience. The rest is more or less stream-of-consciousness, with some organisation. So subtitles work to organise content, perhaps images are included, and the work is organised, yet personal. Or, so I think!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1951 on: May 25, 2017, 11:23:22 pm »
oh okay ;D
I was also wondering is there a particular structure for opinion essays? I am a bit confused about how its different from a regular essay

I'd say you'd structure it like a normal essay to be honest - You guys cover a lot of different text types in WACE!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1952 on: May 26, 2017, 01:20:39 am »
Yes we do sadly TT ___ TT
I also wanted to clarify are language feature basically persuasive devices?

I'd say you'd structure it like a normal essay to be honest - You guys cover a lot of different text types in WACE!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1953 on: May 26, 2017, 02:15:57 am »
Yes we do sadly TT ___ TT
I also wanted to clarify are language feature basically persuasive devices?
Language features can be persuasive but I don't think they always are. The intention of every text is not always to persuade, but perhaps to inform, or entertain. In which case, if the language feature's purpose is not to persuade, or convince, or even sell, then I wouldn't call it a persuasive device :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1954 on: May 26, 2017, 06:58:13 pm »
hmm okay what would be some examples of language features?
I was also wondering if I could have some help in describing Australian outback clothing.
Our exam will most likely involve the Australian identity in the form of a visual so I would like to have a list of how to identify and describe Australian outback clothing.
So far I have usually wears denim, wide brim hat , boots, striped shirts?

Language features can be persuasive but I don't think they always are. The intention of every text is not always to persuade, but perhaps to inform, or entertain. In which case, if the language feature's purpose is not to persuade, or convince, or even sell, then I wouldn't call it a persuasive device :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1955 on: May 26, 2017, 07:12:49 pm »
I was also wondering if I could have some help in describing Australian outback clothing.
Our exam will most likely involve the Australian identity in the form of a visual so I would like to have a list of how to identify and describe Australian outback clothing.

Pretty much any technique or thing you can point to and say "The text does this" is a language feature :)

That's all I'd say for outback clothing - Like, I'm sure you'll be able to look at an image and go "Oh, that's outback clothing." Then just list what you see :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1956 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:34 pm »

A metaphor is a language feature, as is high modality, but high modality is likely to be persuasive in its effect.

I also think of khaki when I think of the outback, and I think of the hats with the corks hanging from the brims. I also think of ankle shields, blistered hands, and bush tucker :)

julies

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1957 on: May 27, 2017, 10:01:33 am »
Hello there!
When writing essays on Shakespeare plays, our teachers stress the importance of inserting dramatic techniques (e.g. dramatic irony, soliloquies)
Is it also acceptable to put in a number of other techniques like high modality that are less specific to plays?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1958 on: May 27, 2017, 12:13:50 pm »
Hello there!
When writing essays on Shakespeare plays, our teachers stress the importance of inserting dramatic techniques (e.g. dramatic irony, soliloquies)
Is it also acceptable to put in a number of other techniques like high modality that are less specific to plays?

Hey! For sure, having that variety gives you more to discuss and will almost definitely make your analysis stronger ;D

Jess.martinuzzo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1959 on: May 27, 2017, 12:18:24 pm »
Hi elyse! I noticed that you did Extension 1 as well! I was just wondering, what is your opinion on just writing one creative, but using it for both discovery and extension? Do you think that would work, or would not be covering all of the rubric?

Thanks!!

Jess

mary123987

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #1960 on: May 27, 2017, 02:18:20 pm »
Hey guys I was just wondering if someone could explain this question to me in particular the idea of complex interactions
Regards
"Explore the complex interactions between people and politics as represented in your set text  and ONE related text of your own choosing. Ensure that in your exploration you evaluate the relationship between representation and meaning."
HSC : Chemistry l Physics l Studies of Religion 2 l English advanced l 2 Unit Maths l

*INTERESTED IN TUTORING ? FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
I'M OFFERING TUTORING FOR PHYSICS ,CHEMISTRY , STUDIES OF RELIGION 2 AND 2 UNIT MATHS
REGARDS*

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #1961 on: May 27, 2017, 05:49:15 pm »
+1
Hey guys I was just wondering if someone could explain this question to me in particular the idea of complex interactions
Regards
"Explore the complex interactions between people and politics as represented in your set text  and ONE related text of your own choosing. Ensure that in your exploration you evaluate the relationship between representation and meaning."

Hey there!

I thought I might be able to help since i'm also studying this elective. I believe complex interactions may be calling for conflicting perspectives as this is an integral part of the rubric. Also, I would personally look at what Miller makes explicitly ambiguous in his play (assuming we're studying the same prescribed) so maybe how there is no clear moral compass in the play leaving us to evaluate how people shape politics and vice versa. Maybe that could be a starting point for you? :)

Let me know if you have any more questions or would like to clarify some ideas that you think might apply under "complex interactions" :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 06:19:29 pm by bsdfjnlkasn »

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1962 on: May 29, 2017, 03:30:14 pm »
i have an assessment on monday, we have been given 5 essay questions one of which will be the essay question in the assessment. how do i prepare for this (ive done plans), because im terrible at essays - so how do i remember what i want to write aswell as prepare it before the assessment

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #1963 on: May 29, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »
Hi elyse! I noticed that you did Extension 1 as well! I was just wondering, what is your opinion on just writing one creative, but using it for both discovery and extension? Do you think that would work, or would not be covering all of the rubric?
Thanks!!
Jess
Hey Jess! I did exactly this! My Extension 1 version was longer than my AOS version and incorporated a little more "contextual/ways of thinking" things that didn't really add much to the AOS module! So yes, I have tried and tested this approach, and it worked well! For what it's worth, my creative is free to download here if you'd like to see it :)

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
« Reply #1964 on: May 29, 2017, 05:53:00 pm »
Hi all,

How should I state the effect of a technique, like how does descriptive language or happy tone convey an element of representation for mod c