Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:32:51 am

Author Topic: Biology Assignment  (Read 1361 times)  Share 

beanie101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Biology Assignment
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:35:18 pm »
+1
Hello,

I am new and saw this pop up on my Instagram and decided to try it.

I am currently in a bit of a dilemma right now with my biology assignment. I am not too sure where to start and what this topic is all about.
We are given an experiment and then the modified version of it. But I don't understand it at all. We have to make a research question and then make graphs out of the given raw data.

I have attached the experiment below.
It is about enzyme and I think when it's active.

Really confused. If any biology people or science people who could give me a hand, I would be forever grateful

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Re: Biology Assignment
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:47:35 pm »
+4
Hello,

I am new and saw this pop up on my Instagram and decided to try it.

I am currently in a bit of a dilemma right now with my biology assignment. I am not too sure where to start and what this topic is all about.
We are given an experiment and then the modified version of it. But I don't understand it at all. We have to make a research question and then make graphs out of the given raw data.

I have attached the experiment below.
It is about enzyme and I think when it's active.

Really confused. If any biology people or science people who could give me a hand, I would be forever grateful
Hey Beanie!
Welcome to AN, Is this for 1/2 or 3/4 Bio?
and how different factors affect it, the first measures the reaction based on how set the junket is in relation to the temperature and the second measures the reaction based on how much oxygen is produced in relation to enzyme concentration.

So the title of your document is "Measuring the effect of one critical factor on enzymatic activity" so in this you are measuring the effects of temperature and enzyme concentration (these are the 'critical factor's')

In regards to developing a research question, it could be something around how factors (temp and enzyme concentration) affects the rate of reaction, and appropriately graph to show the effects that were discovered in the experiments??

Hope this helps, and let me know if you want me to elaborate or have any more questions :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:53:37 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

beanie101

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 06:19:36 pm »
+1
Hi, thank you so much for replying!

I am currently doing 1/2 biology.

I read through the experiments and I don't understand how the modified experiment of the beef utilises temperature.
Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!!

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 06:45:27 pm »
+4
Oh so sorry! I skim read it!
Okay, so when you blend the liver the cells are disrupted and, well, cut up, releasing the cytoplasm, organelles and enzymes. Liver cells contain catalase which specifically breaks down hydrogen peroxide H2O2, and so the experiment is measuring how much oxygen is released. The amount of oxygen shows the rate of reaction based on enzyme concentration;

So, the second experiment is showing how enzyme concentration affects the rate of reaction and the first was about how temperature affects the rate of reaction!

How temp affects rate of reaction

Hopefully, this cleared things up and feel free to ask any more questions! Everyone here is more than happy help :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:54:45 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

beanie101

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 11:04:44 pm »
+1
hello sorry again,

aha this is why I was confused, I was wondering how to correlate the two for my assignment because one is about temperature and the other concentration T-T. So what would i focus on and what could my research be about. Sorry again for the confusion
I want to cry <3

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:49:16 am »
hello sorry again,

aha this is why I was confused, I was wondering how to correlate the two for my assignment because one is about temperature and the other concentration T-T. So what would i focus on and what could my research be about. Sorry again for the confusion
I want to cry <3

Hey!
It's perfectly fine to be confused, Bio can be quite tricky! I would personally focus my research on factors affecting enzyme activity, based on what the two reports were about :)
Has your teacher given you any more direction on your assignment?
— VCE —

— University —

beanie101

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 09:07:04 am »
+1
Hello,

My teacher hasn't said much about it and just sent us the assignment.
online school is hard, I asked her about it through email but she kind of just told me about the general task and so it didn't help that much.

So would I focus on both aspects like temperature and heat or would I just choose one aspect? So would I see which one is better at causing an enzyme reaction or?

Thank you so much!!!!

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 09:14:10 am »
Hello,

My teacher hasn't said much about it and just sent us the assignment.
online school is hard, I asked her about it through email but she kind of just told me about the general task and so it didn't help that much.

So would I focus on both aspects like temperature and heat or would I just choose one aspect? So would I see which one is better at causing an enzyme reaction or?

Thank you so much!!!!
Hey! No stress, online school can definitely be really tricky, and its never much help when your teacher doesn't provide much direction.

In all honesty, I would pose a question like "How do different factors affect the rate of enzyme reaction" or you could choose one and focus on 'how does temperature/enzyme concentration affect the rate of reaction'. Are you supposed to focus on both experiments or choose one? Have you got a rubric to work off?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:16:35 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

beanie101

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 10:20:12 am »
Hi again :)

Yes we do have a rubric.

I am not sure if we are meant to focus on both or choose one, but after reading the rubric we have to include the relevant use of data?
So if I was to focus on just one would that defeat the purpose of the modified experiment?  So maybe I am to do both.
Thanks so much for your help btw.
I also have the question of what is the difference between substrate concentration and enzyme concentration? is substrate concentration used or is it only enzyme concentration? Thanks Again!!!

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 10:24:44 am »
Hi again :)

Yes we do have a rubric.

I am not sure if we are meant to focus on both or choose one, but after reading the rubric we have to include the relevant use of data?
So if I was to focus on just one would that defeat the purpose of the modified experiment?  So maybe I am to do both.
Thanks so much for your help btw.
I also have the question of what is the difference between substrate concentration and enzyme concentration? is substrate concentration used or is it only enzyme concentration? Thanks Again!!!

So in the experiment, the substrate is the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and the enzyme is the catalase in the liver.
Maybe @BriMT or @chocolatemilkshake can help you a little bit more than me :)
— VCE —

— University —

beanie101

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 10:37:47 am »
Thank you so much and good luck with your studies!!

Hopefully, they are able to reach me on here.
Not sure how this site totally works yet!  ;D