Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:57:56 pm

Author Topic: Monash Arts Budget Cuts 2020  (Read 1413 times)  Share 

Darthbile3321

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Monash Arts Budget Cuts 2020
« on: October 10, 2019, 12:27:29 am »
Hi All!
I am still in the process of deciding between Arts for Monash or Melbourne for my VTAC course applications. I intend to work in education, so the double degree at Monash looks particularly appealing. However, upon doing some further research I have found out that Monash is in the midst of what seems to be some severe Arts cuts. Has anyone found this to be detrimental to the overall uni experience? I would definitely love to go to Melbourne but due to it being further away from Monash (also not a massive fan of the Melb Model), as well as Monash supposedly being the more friendly and social of the two, I imagine it may be the easier to enjoy. Although if these Cuts are as bad as they seem to be, maybe Melbourne is the go. Anyone have any thoughts on this??
Cheers!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Monash Arts Budget Cuts 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 01:16:05 am »
When the conversation around the cuts was at its peak last year (?, I can't remember clearly), there were definitely noticeable changes to a some Arts units across the set up of lectures/tutorials and some assignment changes, however, I don't necessarily think it has been detrimental to my uni experience at all. Bear in mind, my main area of study is not Arts faculty owned, but my minors and a majority of my electives are.

Did you have anything specific about the 'uni experience' you were concerned about?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:48:27 pm by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Darthbile3321

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 02:03:56 pm »

Did you have anything specific about the 'uni experience' you were concerned about?

As far as 'Uni Experience' I was really just wondering about how the cuts would impact my overall enjoyment. I do hope to actually enjoy my studies next year (maybe History maj and Philosophy min) so I hope the cuts don't take that away. Like I also said, the social aspects are also important to me and from what I've heard Melb seems to be more 'clique-y' and less friendly which concerns me.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:01:35 pm »
As far as 'Uni Experience' I was really just wondering about how the cuts would impact my overall enjoyment. I do hope to actually enjoy my studies next year (maybe History maj and Philosophy min) so I hope the cuts don't take that away. Like I also said, the social aspects are also important to me and from what I've heard Melb seems to be more 'clique-y' and less friendly which concerns me.

You'll find cliques everywhere to be honest. I feel like you need to be there as a student to really feel the social scene of a uni and decide for yourself, even if that means you wish to transfer later down the road.

I did the introductory Philosophy units at Monash before the cuts, but as far as I know, they barely changed in response to the cuts and were pretty enjoyable units. I then took two logic units to finish off my minor in 2018 when the cuts happened, and if you happen to be interested in that, I can tell you they are great units. In fact, symbolic logic is and forever will be my favourite unit at Monash. I guess what I'm leaning to is that the 'enjoyable-ness' of your experience will be made partly of up how a unit is delivered and how invested you are in the unit, and it's a bit difficult to gauge how you would feel right now.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Darthbile3321

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 11:43:50 pm »
You'll find cliques everywhere to be honest. I feel like you need to be there as a student to really feel the social scene of a uni and decide for yourself, even if that means you wish to transfer later down the road.

I did the introductory Philosophy units at Monash before the cuts, but as far as I know, they barely changed in response to the cuts and were pretty enjoyable units. I then took two logic units to finish off my minor in 2018 when the cuts happened, and if you happen to be interested in that, I can tell you they are great units. In fact, symbolic logic is and forever will be my favourite unit at Monash. I guess what I'm leaning to is that the 'enjoyable-ness' of your experience will be made partly of up how a unit is delivered and how invested you are in the unit, and it's a bit difficult to gauge how you would feel right now.

Alright cool, I appreciate this!
Feel a lot better about the budget cuts now considering I'd like to do Philosophy, I'm glad they don't seem to have as greater a detriment as I thought.
Thanks for you help :))