Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:56:22 pm

Author Topic: Psychology Rationale - Is it Considered Enough?  (Read 1055 times)

Luke_8064

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +12
Psychology Rationale - Is it Considered Enough?
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:58:39 pm »
+1
Hi all (whoever may be reading this),

I just finished up writing my rationale for psychology and was wondering if it was considered enough?

Just a yes or no answer is needed (more explanation would be preferred but not essential)

EDIT: Just implemented my new rational (Still needs a little work as I am stating modifications in it but I am working on it).

Rationale
Divided attention is the ability to concurrently acquire and effectuate on two or more tasks (APA, 2018). Many believe this construct has vital effects on an individual’s memory, particularly the encoding and retrieving phases. Craik (1996) conducted an experiment examining a participant’s ability to retrieve and encode information whilst completing a reaction time task (RTT) to see whether divided attention did indeed affect the stages of memory (Craik et al. 1996). The findings from the data showed that divided attention caused major reductions in memory performance during the encoding phase but insignificant reductions in memory during the retrieval phase (Craik et al. 1996). However, the capacity to generalise these results are problematic due to the study severely lacking ecological validity through its use of an RTT. Thus, this experiment should incorporate an ecological factor.

The ecological factor that will be implemented into this experiment will be an auditory distraction in the form of lyric based music. Distractions are defined as the involuntary switch of attention from encoding task-relevant information to the processing of task-irrelevant information (Muller-Grass & Schröger, 2007). According to Bell, short term memory functions such as maintenance and binding are significantly impacted when task-irrelevant sound (i.e. auditory distraction) must be ignored whilst encoding new stimuli (Bell et al. 2019). Studies containing auditory distractions normally follow the Irrelevant Sound Effect theory (ISE). ISE proposes that irrelevant background sounds decrease the accuracy of recall when compared to silence (Dorsi et al. 2018). However, this theory will not be followed in this experiment due to the fact of distraction tasks not influencing the ability to recall information (Craik et al. 1996).

The original methodology utilised by Craik (1996) was modified for the current experiment. This experiment aims to refine the methodology to determine the accuracy and validity of the claims made in the findings of the original experiment regarding the effect of auditory distraction during encoding new information. This refinement should result in more ecologically valid and accurate data about the effect on divided attention during the encoding phase of memory.

Research Question: Does the presence of lyrical music decrease the ability to encode information within short-term memory?

The null hypothesis claims that there will be similar results accumulated between the participants who utilised divided attention (in the form of listening to loud lyrical music) during the encoding phase of memory than those participants in the control group. Any differences will be due to chance alone.

The alternate hypothesis states that the participants who utilised divided attention during the encoding phase would experience a decrease in performance in the memory task when compared to the control group.

Thanks,
Luke
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:52:12 pm by Luke_8064 »
QCE Class of 2021: Design | Digital Solutions | English | ICT | General Maths | Psychology

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Psychology Rationale - Is it Considered Enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 02:13:12 pm »
+3
Hi all (whoever may be reading this),

I just finished up writing my rationale for psychology and was wondering if it was considered enough?

Just a yes or no answer is needed (more explanation would be preferred but not essential)

EDIT: Just implemented my new rational (Still needs a little work as I am stating modifications in it but I am working on it).

Rationale
Divided attention is the ability to concurrently acquire and effectuate on two or more tasks (APA, 2018). Many believe this construct has vital consider word choice effects on an individual’s memory, particularly the encoding and retrieving phases. Craik (1996) conducted an experiment examining a participant’s only 1 participant? ability to retrieve and encode information whilst completing a reaction time task (RTT) to see whether divided attention did indeed affect the stages of memory (Craik et al. 1996). The findings from the data consider making this more succinct showed that divided attention caused major reductions in memory performance during the encoding phase but insignificant reductions in memory during the retrieval phase (Craik et al. 1996). However, the capacity to generalise these results are problematic consider phrasing due to the study severely lacking ecological validity through its use of an RTT consider explaining this more. Thus, this experiment should incorporate an ecological factor I get what you are saying, but I think you could explain this better.

The ecological factor that will be implemented into this experiment will be an auditory distraction in the form of lyric based music. Distractions are defined as the involuntary switch of attention from encoding task-relevant information to the processing of task-irrelevant information (Muller-Grass & Schröger, 2007). According to Bell, short term memory functions such as maintenance and binding are significantly impacted when task-irrelevant sound (i.e. auditory distraction) must be ignored whilst encoding new stimuli (Bell et al. 2019). Studies containing auditory distractions normally follow the Irrelevant Sound Effect theory (ISE). ISE proposes that irrelevant background sounds decrease the accuracy of recall when compared to silence (Dorsi et al. 2018). However, this theory will not be followed in this experiment due to the fact of distraction tasks not influencing the ability to recall information (Craik et al. 1996).

Consider changing the sequence in which you present information in the above paragraph. Generally you want to follow an inverse pyramid technique where you start broad then narrow in on what your experiment specifically is doing. By the time you get to explaining what your experiment is doing it's good to have the reader going "Yep. That's what makes the most sense to do based on what I just read"

The original methodology utilised by Craik (1996) was modified for the current experiment. This experiment aims to refine the methodology to determine the accuracy and validity of the claims made in the findings of the original experiment regarding the effect of auditory distraction during encoding new information. This refinement should result in more ecologically valid and accurate data about the effect on divided attention during the encoding phase of memory.

I feel this this paragraph is close but could still be refined more. It feels kind of thrown in there as a requirement rather than nicely integrated in.

Research Question: Does the presence of lyrical music decrease the ability to encode information within short-term memory?

The null hypothesis claims that there will be similar results accumulated between the participants who utilised divided attention (in the form of listening to loud lyrical music) during the encoding phase of memory than those participants in the control group. Any differences will be due to chance alone.

The alternate hypothesis states that the participants who utilised divided attention during the encoding phase would experience a decrease in performance in the memory task when compared to the control group.

consider operationalising these and consider your tense

Thanks,
Luke

Thanks for your patience with this!

Hope you find this feedback useful for your scientific writing :)