Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:44 pm

Author Topic: maths at monash vs melb  (Read 2928 times)  Share 

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
maths at monash vs melb
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:12:10 pm »
ok, i'm in a bit of a dilemna here:
so i'm currently doing science/engineering at monash, planning to major in maths for the science component. But im worried because:

1. the maths unit i'm doing this semester (mth1030) is the 'hardest' 1st semester unit allowed, yet there is no theory at all. its just, heres this formula, plug some numbers into it. we didn't even cover limits because the class voted not to (apparently; i wasn't there when this happened). i know this unit is meant to teach physicists/engineers some basic skills but shouldn't there be at least the option of doing something more theoretical for those intending to major in maths? the unit i'm doing next semester (mth2010) seems to be more of the same. seems like a waste of 1 year.

2. the guy that takes my maths tute is a fool. i don't know if he's an honors student or not (instructors usually are, right?), but either way it leads me to believe that the maths program at monash is shit, if they can't find someone competent to take the class.

3.  i've heard (here and elsewhere) that the eng/science at monash is more practical vs more theoretical at uom. also that uom is the best for maths.

I know im probably being irrational (and arrogant? - 2 gud 4 monash) and that there probably is no significant difference between maths @ uom and maths @ monash, and i'm sure it'll get more challenging/theoretical in 2nd/3rd year.

But I just want to be sure that the next 2.5 years at monash won't be better spent at uom. So some input with regards to experience of those who have/are doing maths at monash/uom would be much appreciated. e.g. if 1st year maths at melbourne is also just plug and chug away, my fears of being left behind will be greatly soothed.

thanks

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Re: maths at monash vs melb
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:24:36 pm »
Hi! I'm currently in my 2nd year of Aerospace Engineering/Science at Monash.

- 1st and 2nd year maths at Monash are piss easy and boring. This is because a lot of the students taking the units ONLY need a maths minor so they can pursue majors in Meteorology, Physics, Astrophysics etc. So they're all Mathematical "Methods" units. Mathematical Methods at uni level simply means a unit which describes how maths can be used to find practical things. Not much focus is on the theory because 2/3 of your lecture theatre are not going to proceed to the major.
- As a result, it gets way better/harder in 3rd year. The leap is sizeable.
- Some tutors are awful, but some are incredible. It's luck of the draw and this happens at all unis. I've had 2 excellent maths tutors and 1 average tutor in my time at Monash.
- Engineering at UoM is awful.
- Granted, their maths (and physics) faculties are vastly superior.

My advice for you is to stick it out. It will get better, I promise!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:28:36 pm by admin »

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:15:21 pm »
You'll find that a lot of academics in the science / engineering / IT faculties (i.e., the 'science-y' courses) don't necessarily have the best communication skills - whether it be due to their inability to communicate in general or their non-English speaking background.

I guess it just emphasises the importance of independent learning!
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:40:17 am »
yea, i've decided to stay at monash, the undergraduate curriculum can't be that different. I will just have to read ahead to satisfy my thirst for knowledge (don't want to wait for 2nd/3rd year ;p)

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:05:22 pm »
Erm, the undergraduate curriculum between Monash and UMelb for maths is vastly different. UMelb has many more pure maths courses, starting earlier on (i.e. difficult 2nd year courses) and doesn't leave all the actual pure stuff til 4th year. Monash has a lot more applied courses, and their "pure" stuff usually is taught with a focus on applications & computation, and is much simpler (e.g. their differential geometry course is limited to three dimensions and has lots of computing stuff). Even the "serious" maths at Monash like real & complex analysis is really quite simple compared to what's taught at UMelb.
I know this seems to be coming across as Monash bashing - sorry about that, it's just that I've had a pretty good look at what's taught at both and Monash definitely seems to be much worse all the way through for undergraduate pure mathematics. Of course, it has a much larger (and probably better) appliead program than UMelb.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

zzdfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:24:05 pm »
thanks for your input. I might have to reconsider transferring to umelb next year, if i'm still set on dropping engineering & focusing on maths. I would apply for midyear transfer to melb science but i'm not 100% sure I want to forfeit the ea(sier) money from an engineering career.
and breadth units are lame.

maybe i should just apply for midyear transfer anyway (deadline is friday) and just decline the offer if i still haven't made up my mind? I dont have to accept right?