Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:50:04 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231718 times)

amandali

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: strathfield
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2016, 05:12:09 pm »
how many techniques should i have for 1000 words essay  and should i be writing around 1000 words for 45-55 min
Is 10 techniques too much (some have 2 examples for one type of technique)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2016, 05:30:38 pm »
how many techniques should i have for 1000 words essay  and should i be writing around 1000 words for 45-55 min
Is 10 techniques too much (some have 2 examples for one type of technique)

Hey! Thanks for asking your question :)
It is difficult to quantify exactly how much you should be writing, or exactly how many techniques you should use. Typically, you have at least 3 textual references per paragraph, if you have 3 body paragraphs in your essay. Now, the techniques are even harder to quantify. The reason being, you may have three quotes in a paragraph, but you may talk about two techniques found in each quote. So, I think going by quotes is a better bet than going by techniques. Remember, quotes and techniques are only half of the effort. EXPLAINING what these quotes and techniques do is what English is all about!

By the HSC exam, I could write a 1200 word essay in 40 minutes. You are best aiming for a maximum of 1000 words for 45 minutes in your half yearly because you aren't as experienced in an exam situation and you are still building fast-writing skills.

Hopefully this gives you a bit of direction :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

lazydreamer

• Trailblazer
  • Newbie needing help :P
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Tech H.S
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2016, 06:52:15 pm »

By the HSC exam, I could write a 1200 word essay in 40 minutes. You are best aiming for a maximum of 1000 words for 45 minutes in your half yearly because you aren't as experienced in an exam situation and you are still building fast-writing skills.

about writing fast, do you have like a method of learning how to write fast? For example, how long do you write for each day/ how many words you set/ even what pen you use? 1000w in 40mins is a bit much for me even now so i want to be able to overcome that by trials :)
thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:45 pm »
about writing fast, do you have like a method of learning how to write fast? For example, how long do you write for each day/ how many words you set/ even what pen you use? 1000w in 40mins is a bit much for me even now so i want to be able to overcome that by trials :)
thanks!

All such good questions! I definitely loved my inkjoy pens. Papermate make them. The downside is that they are tri-gripped. So you have to get used to that, but otherwise they are super light and the ink just runs out of them. If you aren't already using running writing, you should! I wasn't actually a big writer. I mean, as much time as I spent on my computer, I spent writing. Although, in terms of letter formation, handwriting is superior, typing still strengthens your finger muscles.

For a period throughout the year, I had batteries stuck to the end of my pen. This worked, I'm sure. After a while though I got lazy. I always found that in exams I plucked a speed I didn't know I had straight from the air. The adrenaline just pumps through your hand and you write faster than what you expect to anyway. Having a prepared essay or knowing what you want to write is very important. This means that you won't be stopping at the end of each sentence to work out your next sentence. If this isn't the exam that you can prepare for, you need to build up the skill of thinking faster than you can write. Personally, I think typing helps with this. I'm a fast typer, so even as I'm typing, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. This isn't such a problem, because when it comes to writing, I can think of a sentence, put it in my mind, keep the words flowing onto the page whilst thinking ahead to the next sentence! It sounds super complicated, but what I'm explaining to you is something that happens organically with time! So even though it sounds super intense, trust me when I say that if it doesn't make sense now, it will at the end of the year!

To summarise:
I loved Ink Joy pens.
I write in running writing.
My writing is big.
I think ahead of what I'm writing on the page.
Putting a weight on the end of your pen can work too.
:)

lazydreamer

• Trailblazer
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 09:23:40 pm »
All such good questions! I definitely loved my inkjoy pens. Papermate make them. The downside is that they are tri-gripped. So you have to get used to that, but otherwise they are super light and the ink just runs out of them. If you aren't already using running writing, you should! I wasn't actually a big writer. I mean, as much time as I spent on my computer, I spent writing. Although, in terms of letter formation, handwriting is superior, typing still strengthens your finger muscles.

For a period throughout the year, I had batteries stuck to the end of my pen. This worked, I'm sure. After a while though I got lazy. I always found that in exams I plucked a speed I didn't know I had straight from the air. The adrenaline just pumps through your hand and you write faster than what you expect to anyway. Having a prepared essay or knowing what you want to write is very important. This means that you won't be stopping at the end of each sentence to work out your next sentence. If this isn't the exam that you can prepare for, you need to build up the skill of thinking faster than you can write. Personally, I think typing helps with this. I'm a fast typer, so even as I'm typing, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. This isn't such a problem, because when it comes to writing, I can think of a sentence, put it in my mind, keep the words flowing onto the page whilst thinking ahead to the next sentence! It sounds super complicated, but what I'm explaining to you is something that happens organically with time! So even though it sounds super intense, trust me when I say that if it doesn't make sense now, it will at the end of the year!

To summarise:
I loved Ink Joy pens.
I write in running writing.
My writing is big.
I think ahead of what I'm writing on the page.
Putting a weight on the end of your pen can work too.
:)

YEAAHH I've used an inkjoy before, it was a good pen :)
No i understand that feeling, got a doco on The Brain playing in the background so ik it functions really REALLY quickly haha, and i get that adrenaline too, but i get conscious of my handwriting in the exam and...it lowers my mojo? lol
Are the batteries for strengthening the hand muscles?

Belkelly

• Adventurer
  • "Nothing worth having comes easy"
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Tumut High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2016, 10:51:23 am »
Hi, yes I did mean to type Belonging :) any help would be awesome!

Belkelly :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2016, 12:15:04 pm »
Hi, yes I did mean to type Belonging :) any help would be awesome!

Belkelly :)

Hey Belkelly! I strongly recommend Orphan Stories by Margaret Atwood. It is a bloody brilliant short story (short = easy to analyse), chock full of techniques, very powerful commentary on different perspectives of belonging with respect to orphans. The version I attached is a transcript from a website, it looks like it matches the original.

Don't be scared by the lack of capital letters in the text, Atwood did this on on purpose! Try and think about why  ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:15 pm »
YEAAHH I've used an inkjoy before, it was a good pen :)
No i understand that feeling, got a doco on The Brain playing in the background so ik it functions really REALLY quickly haha, and i get that adrenaline too, but i get conscious of my handwriting in the exam and...it lowers my mojo? lol
Are the batteries for strengthening the hand muscles?

Yes the batteries are for strengthening hand muscles :)
Sometimes in an exam you'll realise you've slipped into the worst handwriting of your life. Stop. Take a breathe. Start slower and then pick up the pace :)

qwerty222

• Adventurer
  • School: Girraween High Scool
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »
Hey Qwerty, I actually did othello back when I was in year 11, if your teacher would allow a film as related text, then l would definitely recommend a film called "O" which is a contemporary appropriation of othello. Very easy for the different representation of same values across contrasting contexts. Another film l would definitely recommend especially for belonging is the Blind Side. A great belonging text with a lot of connections to Othello.

Thank you for your help  :D . Sorry, just one more question, If I was asked to talk about barriers to belonging, do u reckon Romulus, My father would be okay?

lazydreamer

• Trailblazer
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:39 pm »
Yes the batteries are for strengthening hand muscles :)
Sometimes in an exam you'll realise you've slipped into the worst handwriting of your life. Stop. Take a breathe. Start slower and then pick up the pace :)

Thanks again! :D

Belkelly

• Adventurer
  • "Nothing worth having comes easy"
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Tumut High School
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 10:24:18 pm »
Hey Jamon,

Thanks! It looks great :) Definitely needed the help, so thanks again! :)

Belkelly

(i'm working on the capital letters) :)

qwerty222

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »
Hello,
do you know any films that show barriers to belonging? I'm trying to find related text for Othello. Thank you :)

Chemystery

• Forum Regular
  • Caity x
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »
+1
Hello,
do you know any films that show barriers to belonging? I'm trying to find related text for Othello. Thank you :)

Hey there!

Sadly I haven't done Othello so I wouldnt be sure of a text which directly relates, but I have just finished Discovery with the prescribed text of Macbeth so I'm dealing with the same concept of barriers to belong. A text I used was on bullying called 'To This Day' which is both a graphic novel and short clip which you could easily find on Youtube (by Shane Koyczan). Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I found it interesting to use for comparison, especially since bullying is something I'm emotionally involved in myself.

Good luck, hope I helped (:
Reaching for the stars ♥
Music 1: 78
----------------------------
2017:
Mathematics
Mathematics Ext 1
Biology
Physics

qwerty222

• Adventurer
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2016, 10:52:18 pm »
Hey there!

Sadly I haven't done Othello so I wouldnt be sure of a text which directly relates, but I have just finished Discovery with the prescribed text of Macbeth so I'm dealing with the same concept of barriers to belong. A text I used was on bullying called 'To This Day' which is both a graphic novel and short clip which you could easily find on Youtube (by Shane Koyczan). Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I found it interesting to use for comparison, especially since bullying is something I'm emotionally involved in myself.

Good luck, hope I helped (:

It's alright, thank you for your help :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2016, 05:08:00 pm »
Thank you for your help  :D . Sorry, just one more question, If I was asked to talk about barriers to belonging, do u reckon Romulus, My father would be okay?

Hey there! Unfortunately, Jamon and I aren't familiar with Romulus, My Father. I know the text, but not so much about what it involves. You'd need to look at a summary online to work out if it is worth your time before diving into analysing it :)