Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:11 pm

Author Topic: Katie’s journey back to the classroom (music education)!!  (Read 40062 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Katie’s journey back to the classroom (music education)!!
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2019, 10:15:43 pm »
+7

That certainly sounds annoying. Is there anything beneficial you can do at uni on those days to make it less bad? (eg study groups)
Yep, so far I have a Bible study on Mondays from 11-12, and then on Friday I've booked a practise room from 10:30-12. Then when I have more assessments and stuff I might stay back later to work on them.

The concerto sounds fantastic! :) Would definitely be a lot of practice as well (at least relative to if I were to attempt a piece like that when I was doing sax)

It'll be interesting to see how well the pedagogy stream complements the education side of your degree and if many people in that stream are also doing the double degree. Hopefully you can find some good peers through that :)
The concertos really nice!! I'm learning the first two movements this term/for grade 8 and then adding the last movement later. It's 20 minutes long which is going to be really long to play without breaks for my exam though.

I'm really excited for the pedagogy units. So far only 11 people have enrolled so it should be a small class. I think we might get to teach someone how to play our instruments so that should be cool.

:( Good luck with the job search - hopefully things pick up for you soon!
Thanks!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 05:36:10 pm »
+1
I know you're not pursuing this stream, but what is "sonic arts", exactly?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2019, 10:03:27 pm »
+7
I know you're not pursuing this stream, but what is "sonic arts", exactly?
I think sonic arts is more towards recording and producing music and how to use all the electronic stuff. This has more info  :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2019, 06:00:11 pm »
+6
15/3/19
Week 4
It’s almost halfway through the term which feels really weird because I’ve hardly had any assignments yet.

M&S3: We had a test this week, and I spent probably 95% of the education lecture beforehand trying to study and do practise questions/analysis. I’m still walking out of most lectures confused so I’ve almost used up half of my exercise book doing revision (& we’ve only had 3 lectures/tutes). The test wasn’t too bad: I definitely think I stuffed up some parts but overall I think I went ok. In our tutes we’ve been going over melodic dictation and then pieces on our listening list. I’m not very good at melodic dictation (& they’ve been getting harder every week) so I haven’t really been enjoying that part. In our studios we’ve been singing some Bach and Bruckner and it’s been different to get used to singing in German and Latin.

Performance Lab: I’ve had to play twice so far. The first time I stuffed up a lot: my reed and one of my notes wasn’t working. This week the piece sounded a lot better though. I feel like I don’t know most of my pieces well enough to play in front of the class yet so it’s a bit annoying. For wind sympth, I’ve been made section leader of the 3rd clarinets (around 4/5 of us), which means I get to lead the group and point out difficult parts in our pieces during sectionals/rehearsals. We’ve decided to push back grade 8 until the end of this year.

Education: We’ve had a kahoot almost every week. We have an assessment in around 1 ½ weeks, where we need to reflect on our own literacy/numeracy and I still haven’t started.

Thinking about getting my RSA and RCG to apply for some more jobs soon. My local RSL’s around a 5 minute walk so I’m thinking about applying there. Uni had a really discounted RSA course but I think it sold out.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2019, 09:46:10 pm »
+7
7/4/19
Week 7

M&S3: I got the marks back for my test and I was pretty happy with it-it was heaps better then what I was getting last year!! We had a transcription due this week which I found hard to do and I got really sick of the recording by the time I handed it in. For aural choir, we’ve been put in groups and have to learn a Bach chorale as part of your assessment. I’m happy with the group I’ve been put in and the song was starting to come together on Friday (except we haven’t started to learn the German words yet!). We have another test in week 9 which I’m going to have to study for as well. The lectures for this are still feeling way too long-last week I started packing up 30min early because I thought we’d almost finished!!

Performance Lab: I have a presentation assessment tomorrow for this. I’m playing the 2nd movement of my concerto (with one of my friends accompanying me on piano) and then have to talk about the historical background/analysis/how the piece fits into my program. It has to go for around 8 minutes. I’ve been playing it with my friend and sometimes she goes a bit too fast so hopefully it comes together well tomorrow. I’ve also got my wind symphony concert on Friday which should be good as I’ve been enjoying our pieces!

Education: Should be getting the marks back for my last assessment this week. My next assessment is 3000 words!! It’s basically a lesson plan and an evaluation of it. Some of the lectures have been pretty boring so far though.

Other stuff:
I got my RSA around 2 weeks ago and I had a trial shift at a restaurant (as a waiter) last night. I was mainly taking food to tables and cleaning/setting up tables. I have to go back on Wednesday to fill in paperwork/do online training and then I’ll get a few shifts.

I’ve also registered for the mid-year conference with the bible society at uni. It’s a 5 day camp in the last week of the holidays and some of my friends from music are going so I hope it’s going to be good.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:47:54 pm by katie,rinos »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 09:58:52 pm »
+5
20/6/19
Week 3

I haven’t updated in ages!! Holidays were pretty good- I didn’t do a lot besides sleeping in. On the last week, I went to the bible societies mid-year conference which was really good (apart from the food). I became closer friends with a couple of people from music which was great and learnt heaps of new information. Was pretty happy with my marks from last term as well!! :)

I don’t like my timetable for this Term-I’m at uni normally 4 days a week. On Mondays I have a 5 ½ hour break in between classes and have a lecture from 6-8. Wednesdays and Thursdays I’m only at uni for 1 ½ hours.
This is my timetable

M&S4: This is the last theory unit for my course!! Our tutes/lectures & studios are really small and there’s only around 20 of us in each. This course mainly focusses on jazz theory (which I don’t know anything about!!). So far, in our tutes we’ve been going over melodic dictation/sight singing and the pieces for our listening list, studio goes over jazz harmony and the lectures are going over a fugue composition we have due in wk 5. Honestly, am starting to enjoy these classes a lot more than I did last year. :)

Indigenous perspectives: I have friends who did this class last year and told me it was bad, and it is incredibly boring :(. It doesn’t help that the lectures are from 6-8 on a Monday night so I’m really tired by the end of it. This course is a first year education course but has a really high fail rate (which our lecturer and other students have said heaps). The first assessments due the same day as my M&S composition: it’s a 1500-word teacher standpoint about working with Indigenous students. Doesn’t sound too difficult but I’m not motivated to start at all (so far the readings have been so dry).

Performance Lab: We haven’t done too much yet. Our lecturer made a list of people who have to perform in front of class and I’m playing next week, and being assessed in wk 10. Our pieces for wind sympth are harder this term then last, so I’ve had to print them off to practise at home. We had a sectional rehearsal with the clarinets this week to work on some of the harder parts.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2019, 06:50:35 pm »
+8
1/8/19
Week 9
It’s been a while in between updates. I think I found it a lot easier to update my HSC journal then this one at the moment.

Theres only 1 1/2 weeks left of term which I’m really excited for. I can’t wait for holidays (even though I don’t have anything planned yet), but I still have 6 more assessments!! This week’s especially been really busy-I’ve been at uni for 4 nights and all 5 days. I think I preferred trimesters more last term: it’s been really annoying this term because everybody (my siblings/other unis) was on holidays and we were only halfway through the term.

I’ve found this term to be (probably) the best socially. Because I’ve had heaps of breaks in between classes, I’ve been able to hang out with people in the Webster corridor or at CBS things, or on the train home. I think our music cohort is a lot closer then the education one still (I mainly seat with music friends in education classes). This is really good because I haven’t really been enjoying my units too much compared to last term.

We had to make our timetables on Tuesday for next term. I’ll be at uni 3 days and then on placement Thursday and Fridays. Next term, I’m doing Performance Lab, Music studio teaching (the first pedagogy unit) and placement. I’m really excited for pedagogy because it looks like there will only be around 15 of us and a lot of my friends. It also seems like a fun class. We had to fill in our forms for placement last week and I’m hoping to get a school close to home. I’m going to have to buy some more clothes for it because most of the stuff I wear now is too informal. I'm looking forward to it so I hope it goes well (although I think I'll be really nervous the first few days).   

A quick update on each of my units:

Performance Lab: Our studio classes for this has mostly been boring so far. I have a performance assessment next Monday which is a workshop presentation where I need to play a piece and then talk about it. I’m playing one of my HSC pieces (Schumann fantasy piece 2) and one of my friends is playing piano for it. Wind Sympth has our concert on Friday!! Our pieces are harder then last term but they sound cool!

Indigenous Perspectives: I’ve found this one incredibly boring!!! I was really happy with my first assessment mark though. In wk 7, we had a walk-on country excursion at La Perouse instead of tutes, which was a lot more interesting then the lectures. Our next assessment is a 1500 word essay & a 5 minute video which I’m not keen on.

M&S4: I was really happy with my composition mark but I’m a little nervous about some of my other marks that haven’t been released yet. We still have a test in our jazz studio, sight singing test and a music lit test left. I feel like I learn a lot in these theory classes but I’m so happy this is the last one.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2019, 03:34:04 pm »
+4
18/9/19
Week 1

Feels weird going into a third term, because of semesters last year. I didn’t really get up to much in the holidays, & they seemed to drag on a lot towards the end (especially because I don’t have exams, so they go for a month).

I was really happy with my marks last term! I got my first HD, in my least favourite course (was also very surprised because lots of people have said that Indigenous perspectives has a really high fail rate)!!I also got a credit in my theory course which I was happy with because I found them difficult and it was my last theory course for my degree!!

I also had a job interview and got a job in the holidays!! It’s at a new kids play centre opening up near me in 2 weeks. I’ll probably be doing party hosting and cafe stuff. I need to fill out some online training for that this week.

My units for this term are:

Music Studio Teaching: I’m really excited for this course. It’s the first unit of our pedagogy stream and focusses on private tutoring of our instrument. It’s meant to be a more interactive/practical class. This week we had a small lecture about the course and then had to make and present a 3 minute presentation. Our presentation was trying to convince a class of 10 year olds to take instrument lessons with us. We got our instruments out and played parts of songs, and some people got really into trying to be engaging & present it to kids. It was pretty nerve-racking at first because we didn't know we were going to do it, but pretty fun to watch everyones. Throughout the term, we get to give someone in our class lessons and also receive lessons on an instrument we don’t know how to play well, in front of the class. Mines in wk 5, so I still have a while but I think it’ll be really cool to be able to get feedback from our lecturer/& the class on how we are starting to teach.

Performance Lab: I haven’t been enjoying these studios throughout the year as much as I wanted to. This morning was pretty boring, so I’m hoping it gets better. At the end of this term, we have our performance exam (my only exam for the year!) which goes for 25 minutes. I also have to pay for my grade 8 clarinet exam today which will be around the same time as my uni one. I’m doing some of the same pieces and using the same accompanies for both exams, but I hope they’re not on the same week!! On Friday, we have a masterclass for clarinets so I’m excited to see some of my friends play, and what she says.

Placement: We still don’t know our schools for placement & I thought we’d know weeks ago. It turns out we start placement the first week of school term 4 so we still have around 3 weeks left. On Tuesday we had an orientation morning (for 4 hrs!!) which talked about placement, assessments, child safety, and anaphylaxis training. It got a bit boring at times but was important info. I still need to buy some more ‘formal’ clothes for when placement starts. It’s a pass/fail course and we need to do 15 days placement and 7 blog posts on moodle throughout the term.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2019, 03:59:39 pm »
+2
Fantastic work on the HD! Awesome. Funny how sometimes you can best perform in your least favourite units haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:18 am »
+4
20/10/19
Week 5

It’s only halfway through the term and I feel exhausted and ready for another holiday. A bunch of my friends are finishing uni for the year soon, and I’ve still got a while.

Music Studio Teaching: I’ve been really enjoying this class so far. On Monday I had to give one of my friends who plays flute a mini 15min clarinet lesson. I basically taught him how to se it up, correct embouchure and he played Hot Cross Buns at the end. This week, I’ve also had to observe three of my teachers private piano lessons so I can write an essay on them later on i the term.

Placement: I’ve been given a school a 5min drive (30min walk) from my house for placement! I know a bunch of people that go there so it’d be weird if I was observing their classes. I started placement this week on Thursday/Friday and it was a little bit different to what I was expecting. Initially, I was super nervous the first day and before placement. Because it’s the first observation placement, we can be put in any faculty, so I’m going to be in TAS for the first 2 weeks. On the Thursday I observed: yr 11 Software, yr11 graphics, and then 2 yr 7 woodwork classes and then on the Friday I did: 2 yr 10 woodwork, and a yr 7 woodwork/food tech class. Almost every period I was put with a different teacher so I could see their teaching styles. There periods were 1hr 15min long, which I though was really long compared to my school. The teachers were all really nice and helpful which was really good. I think I’m going to be put on the creative arts faculty in 2 weeks which I’m really excited for.

Performance Lab: We need to book our exams and submit our programs next week. There in the first week of December so I’m also going to need to start practising with my piano accompanist soon. In the last couple of weeks of term, everyone in my class needs to play for around 20minutes in front of he class to prepare ourselves for the exam. We don’t have class next week because we have a reading/practise week.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:49:22 am by katie,rinos »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 04:52:05 pm »
+7
20/11/19
Week 10

My last class of the term finished today!! I only need to come into uni 3 more times: for the wind sympth concert, part checking and performance exam.

Music studio teaching: This has probably been my favourite subject so far. We got to give 2 mini instrumental lessons (15 minutes) and get feedback on how we were teaching. I also got to have 2 piano lessons and a flute lesson (I got so excited when I made a note!!). For the last two weeks, we’ve been doing group lessons (teaching any practical skill because we don’t have 5 clarinets). One of my friends taught the ‘were all in this together’ dance from High School Musical and our lecturer was really confused about how we all knew the song. I added a few new rules into uno and we played uno as a class. Our class for this subjects pretty close. After our last class this week, about 10 of us (out of 18) went out for lunch and then over to someone’s house (who lives near uni). I’m hoping to start teaching some beginner clarinet students next year.

Performance Lab: The lectures for this class have still been a bit boring-I’m hoping when we have a different lecturer next year it’ll be better. I have my wind sympth concert this Friday and next part checking for that on Tuesday. I have 2 performance exams this year-pretty much in the same week. My 8th grade exam is on the 30th of November and then my uni one is the 2nd of December. I was hoping that they’d be slightly more spread apart. Some of the pieces are the same but there are other things that don’t really cross over. It’s been frustrating because I’ve been wanting to practise a lot more (closer to 1 1/2hr a day) but I’ve been busy with other uni assessments/placement/work. 

Placement: This has been different to what I was expecting-I think I may have hyped it up too much. I’ve been in music since the 3rd week of placement and as well as classes have watched choir/string ensemble/rock bands. I still have 5 days left of placement (I finish on the 5th of December) but I’m starting to get really bored of just observing. I would really love if we were able to plan and run a small 15-30min part of a class. I need to leave early on Friday because of the wind sympth concert so I’m hoping their okay with it.

The class times have come out for next term and it looks like I’ll be at uni for 3 days!! Monday is 6 hours straight of classes (2 lectures/2 tutes), Tuesday is just wind sympth in the afternoon and then Wednesday is a 1 1/2 hr lecture.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 05:49:19 pm »
+1

Congrats!!

Do you usually only have 10 weeks a semester or is this an early finish?

Do you know what type of lesson you'd like to run? I imagine it could be pretty frustrating having ideas and wanting to step in but being unable to :/

I'm glad to hear that music studio teaching has been really good :D

It has such a strong impact having a small, tight-knit cohort. Have you decreased in size much or is this all you started with?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 06:04:32 pm »
+1
Congrats!!

Do you usually only have 10 weeks a semester or is this an early finish?
With trimesters now, UNSW has 3 10 week terms. So now we have 30 weeks of class instead of 26 but all the class content is squeezed into 10 week terms.

Do you know what type of lesson you'd like to run? I imagine it could be pretty frustrating having ideas and wanting to step in but being unable to :/
Haven't got any strong ideas but I've been at placement for 5 weeks/10 days now and it's starting to get annoying not being able to do much. Would prefer to be able to plan/teach something small for years 7-9. It's been a bit disappointing because when I did work experience in year 10, because I knew the teacher I got to run two different classes (kindy and yr 1) and I've done less now in 2nd year uni.

I'm glad to hear that music studio teaching has been really good :D

It has such a strong impact having a small, tight-knit cohort. Have you decreased in size much or is this all you started with?
I'm really excited for the other 2 pedagogy classes in this stream next year!!  :D

Our music cohort's really tight-in between classes we also normally hang out in the corridor of the music building and talk/study. A lot of the 1st year courses were bigger (around 80ish) because people also did them as electives or in an arts degree. Pedagogy's part of my stream (you can do creative practise/sonic arts/pedagogy or music inquiry) and there's only 18 people in my year doing it. My performance class only has 2 lecture streams and there's about 20 people in each. I think most 2nd year and above classes are pretty small in music (especially compared to the education courses).I think we have had some music people change degrees/drop but not too many.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2019, 06:08:10 pm »
+1
Haven't got any strong ideas but I've been at placement for 5 weeks/10 days now and it's starting to get annoying not being able to do much. Would prefer to be able to plan/teach something small for years 7-9. It's been a bit disappointing because when I did work experience in year 10, because I knew the teacher I got to run two different classes (kindy and yr 1) and I've done less now in 2nd year uni.
I'm really excited for the other 2 pedagogy classes in this stream next year!!  :D
That does sound super frustrating, or at the least, boring. Will you get any opportunities to write up some lesson plans and run any classes before placement ends? ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2019, 06:24:16 pm »
+1
That does sound super frustrating, or at the least, boring. Will you get any opportunities to write up some lesson plans and run any classes before placement ends? ;D
No, this placements just meant to be a 15 day observation. I go on 2 more placements in 4th year which I can plan/teach lessons. :)
I've had friends at different schools who are doing different things as well-so what you do on this placement kinda depends on what school you go.