Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:11:02 am

Author Topic: Katie’s journey back to the classroom (music education)!!  (Read 40068 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Katie’s journey back to the classroom (music education)!!
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:31 pm »
+9
10/7/18
Holidays/Marks release

Marks
Spoiler
My marks for this semester were emailed to me last night. They weren't incredibly high (especially considering some of the marks I've seen on AN) but I'm still fairly happy with them considering it's my first sem of uni.

Session Course    Title                           Result

========================================================

T1    EDST1104  Social Perspectives in Edu.......76 DN
  T1    MUSC1101  Music Reinvented.................70 CR
  T1    MUSC1602  M&S1.............................62 PS
  T1    MUSC1701  Per Lab 1 (BMus).................64 PS
========================================================

At the moment my education unit is a lot better then my music ones, so hopefully I can work on improving those next semester. I was still pretty happy with M&S (the theory unit) though considering the poor marks of my first few assessments. I'm a little annoyed that my performance lab unit was 1 mark off a credit!

My WAM wasn't too high and was let down by some of my lower subjects. I still have 4.5 years left of uni though, so a lot of time to try and improve on my marks! 

Holidays
Spoiler
At the moment, I'm starting to get bored of the holidays and the lack of routine. I'm looking forward to going back to uni and learning more. Next semester I'm doing a unit on educational psychology, Western Music:a panorama, and then M&S2/Performance Lab 2, which follows on from the 1st sem units.

I'm also possibly buying a professional wooden clarinet in these holidays! There pretty expensive so I've been saving up for a while to get one. It should have a better quality sound and intonation then the one that I have at the moment. :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 10:31:40 pm »
+4
25/7/18
Week One

My siblings still have an extra week of holidays this week, so my family decided to go up to Coffs Harbour camping. I’ve got uni, and I didn’t really feel like camping anyway so I’ve stayed home. It's been really quiet which has been nice. One of the worst things at the moment is that it takes an extra 20 minutes to walk to/from the station so I’m having to leave home even earlier to get to uni.

Monday
Today, I had my 9am Western Music lecture. I ended up leaving home at around 7, and it was really freezing on the way to the station. We were going over music of the Renaissance today and some of the history behind it. We have another listening list for this unit, and our listening tests are worth 35%. I have both a test on the listening list and lecture content in week 4.

Tuesday
Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed my music theory lecture today. We were just going over revision from last semester on cadences. I found that this new lecturer spent more time going over the terms/definitions and then giving examples then the lecturer I had last sem. We also have a test in week 4 over the content of the lecture content we’ve learnt.

I then had my performance lab lecture. For the first 30 minutes, we had someone talk about how trimesters will affect our performance classes next year.  Each course next year will be 12UOC and go over the entire three terms. They are changing the structure of the classes a bit next year and we’ll only have one performance exam in the year compared to 2 this year. The rest of the lecture was incredibly boring and it ended up going for the entire 2 hours, when last sem almost all of our lectures finished early.

Wind sympth was fun today, and almost all of the clarinets came back for this sem.  We have a concert in week 12, which I think is just the wind symphony.

I think I’m going to have to do 3 speeches this semester which I’m really not looking forward to. For western music, I have to do a 5 minute presentation on a Schuman piece I’ve been assigned in week 8. For performance Lab, I think we have to present at another studio, and for education we have a 7-8 minute presentation on a topic given next week.

Thursday
I’ve signed up for one of the Bible studies at uni, so I have that tomorrow. I haven’t been to a Bible study since year 9, so hopefully it’s good. One of my friends from school has been talking to me about it and said she’s enjoyed it. I also have my first education lecture and I’m hoping it’s a lot better than last sem.

I brought Shawn Mendes tickets today and am going with my sister and a friend. I’m really excited except the concert is in November next year! I’m also going to buy/pick up my new clarinet on either Friday or Saturday which is really exciting.

Hope everyone’s having a great first week back!! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 09:12:39 pm »
+9
12/8/18
Weeks 3&4

Arts Ball
I had the Arts Ball on the Friday of week 3 at Doltone House in Hyde Park (which was fancier then my year 12 formal!). I met with two of my friends from the Arts camp so it was good to see and talk to them again. The food was really good; however, the music was too loud so it was a bit hard to talk to each other.
Photos:

Western Music:
So far we’ve been going through the history, and music of the Renaissance and Enlightenment period.  I have 2 tests tomorrow for this unit-one is on the lecture content of the past 3 weeks, and the other is a listening test. There’s 9 pieces on the listening test and we need to be able to recognise them and know their title, dates, composer, type of piece and features. Because the pieces are from the Baroque and Renaissance periods, some of them aren’t very interesting and are sung in Latin, so it’s a bit annoying having to listen to it over and over.

M&S/theory:
Surprisingly, I’m enjoying this course more then I was expecting (& more than last sem). I think this lecturer is explaining things in a way that is easier for me to understand. So far, we’ve been through chords in minor keys, secondary dominant chords and leading tone chords. We have a test on Tuesday about the lecture content, and another one on Wednesday for the rhythm workshop. The rhythm workshop part of M&S has been really boring so far as it’s been very simple stuff that I already know. The aural studio also been interesting, but there are things I’m going to need to work on more such as transcriptions.

Ed psych:
So far this has been incredibly boring! The lectures always seem to drag on and the lecturer has an accent that is hard to listen to sometimes. It’s my only class that doesn’t pass around the roll in lectures, so I could possibly choose not to go, but if I did I’d only have to at uni for an hour. I have a group presentation in week 5 on working memory-it seems that I have a good group and their pretty organised but I haven’t done much of my part yet. We also have a test in week 5, but its only 15 multiple choice so it shouldn't be too bad.

Performance Lab:
I had to perform last week (week 3) in my studio class. I was still pretty nervous because some of the people there weren’t in my performance class last sem. The lecturer gave me some feedback after my performance which I didn’t expect but was pretty helpful. Wind symphony has still been going really well.

I’ve started going to the Campus Bible study talks and a Bible study group and they have both been interesting at the moment and everyone’s been really nice.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:18:04 pm by katie,rinos »

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2018, 10:07:45 pm »
+4
Do you recommend going to the balls? I have Law ball but I am unsure if I should go!
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2018, 10:13:04 pm »
+5
Do you recommend going to the balls? I have Law ball but I am unsure if I should go!
Arts Ball was really expensive ($140ish!!) but the food was amazing and I did have a great night with my friends. It was a lot fancier then my year 12 formal which was kinda weird but the music was good and it was a fun night. I'm also looking at going to the Music Ball towards the end of September (which is cheaper!) and it will have my friends from Wind Sympth and class which should be really fun!  ;D

(Really good to see you around the forums again!! Hope you've been going good! Your Europe pictures looked amazing :) )

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2018, 09:50:33 pm »
+6
23/8/18
Week 5

- I ended up quitting my job last week (a lot of reasons but mainly I wasn’t getting a lot of shifts, or enjoying the work as much any more). As much as I would love a lot of free weekends, I’m going to need to get another job soon but I'm not too sure where yet.

- I’m not very keen to get my theory test marks back next week. Apparently the average was 57% and although I have been understanding the content, I don’t think that it showed up very well on the test. We got our transcription assessment today, where we have to fill in around 20 bars of a string quartet (we have a sound file) and a kinda half score. I’m terrible at transcriptions, so it’s going to need a lot of work.

- I had my group presentation for education yesterday-we had to do 7 minutes each and therefore it was around 30 minutes! I think it went pretty good, although I stumbled over a lot of my words and the experiment I’d planned didn’t really work out. Today, Blasonduo and I had a 15 mark (15%) multiple choice test for education. I wasn’t able to study heaps for it because the presentation was due on Wednesday. They had the questions on the screen (3 questions for 2 minutes) while we had an answer sheet. I found this a little annoying because when I do multiple choice, I normally go back to questions I’m not too sure on. When we finished, the lecturer said the answers and Blasonduo and I, both think we got 100% which I’m incredibly happy with.

- I’m in the SOAP team for the Phil’ Fun-A-Thon, which is 24 hours at uni aiming to raise money/fundraise for the children’s hospital in Randwick. It’s on the 11th of October so it’s still quite a while but it should be really fun.

- I’m going with one of my friends to a Girls Brigade-event planning training camp on the weekend which should be really fun (hopefully the foods better than last time!).

Hope everyones having a great week!  :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:58:54 pm by katie,rinos »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2018, 02:59:54 pm »
+1
I know you say you don't know where you want to work, but - any general ideas? Like, what sort of area would you be leaning toward?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 04:47:59 pm »
+4
I know you say you don't know where you want to work, but - any general ideas? Like, what sort of area would you be leaning toward?
I started my last job when I was 15 and it's the only job I've had-most of the time it's been really good :).

I have a certificate 2 in hospitality from last year so I could probably work at a cafe/restaurant. Otherwise, I did really enjoy working with kids so if I can find something fun (that isn't party hosting) that would be great!  ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »
+3
I started my last job when I was 15 and it's the only job I've had-most of the time it's been really good :).

I have a certificate 2 in hospitality from last year so I could probably work at a cafe/restaurant. Otherwise, I did really enjoy working with kids so if I can find something fun (that isn't party hosting) that would be great!  ;D

I've heard indoor sports centres are decent, but I have no idea if that would be at all appropriate haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2018, 11:16:48 pm »
+11
25/10/18
Week 13: Classes are finally over!!
Haven’t really updated in a while! I’m really excited that unis finished (only 2 assessments left)! I don’t have any plans for the holidays yet (still need to work on applying for another job), but it’ll be good to have no assignments and be able to sleep in. :)

Performance Lab: This is the only course where I still have assessments left (70%!!). I have my wind symphony concert tomorrow, which should be really fun. Next Tuesday, I have my part checking for wind symph and then on the 6th of November I have my performance exam. I’m playing these pieces for my exam: Arnold-Sonatina, Poulenc-Sonatina mvts 2&3, Cavallini Caprice 13 . I’ve had a few rehearsals with my piano accompanist and the pieces are starting to sound pretty good but still need heaps of work (especially with the metronome which I hate most of the time).

Western Music: We had a test last week that was worth 50%!! Half of it was on the lecture content that we’ve been though in class, while the other half was a listening test on these pieces (there were over 40!!). Also, I lost marks on my speech because my ‘words needed to be presented in slightly better German!’

Ed Psych: Was a little disappointed with my essay mark, but mainly because everything else has been pretty high. We had a multiple choice & short answer test on Wednesday which I think went well (although I think I stuffed up some of the questions!)

M&S2: I had a composition due last week and I had a list of different things I had to put in (Non-harmonic tones, types of chords, pivot chord, style of Beethoven/Schubert, etc). I put quite a bit of effort into it so I hope it goes well. I had sight singing today and basically, we went into the room in pairs and were given a line of music to sing. I definitely wasn’t very confident with this and I don’t think it went very well. It’s something I’m going to need to work on for next year (luckily it was only worth 5%).

I had to book the LANTITE test last weekend. We have to do these tests before we can enrol in our 2nd year placement unit. It cost $185 :(, and includes a literacy and numeracy test, which are both 2 hours long. There were both morning and afternoon sessions but by the time I booked only the morning session was available so mine is on the 26th of November starting at 7:30. Most of the online sample tests look really easy so I’m not too worried about the tests.

Good luck to everyone doing your HSC (and VCE soon) exams!! I hope they go really well!  ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »
+12
5/12/18
- My marks came out last night and I've improved in almost everything from last semester so I'm pretty happy with them! 

- I’m thinking about going on exchange at the end of 3rd year. I’ve been looking at it recently and it sounds so exciting!! I've never been overseas before so it would be really fun! I would need to save up a huge amount for it though!

- I’m doing grade 8 clarinet halfway through next year and there’s over 50 scales I need to memorise!

- I need to make my timetable on Friday for next year and so far I’m in every day except Thursdays. I have two 9am classes and also two 1 ½ hour days.

- I’m starting to get really bored of holidays already and there’s still around 3 months left!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:36:53 pm by katie,rinos »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 09:13:00 pm »
+4
So happy to hear things are going well for you!! My timetable is also awful lol idk what they were thinking when scheduling class times

- I’m thinking about going on exchange at the end of 3rd year. I’ve been looking at it recently and it sounds so exciting!! I've never been overseas before so it would be really fun! I would need to save up a huge amount for it though!

THIS. Yes yes yes!!! I'm planning on going at the same time as you -- where are you thinking of going and for how long? Start saving now as well, but there are a ton of government and uni schemes to help you out so don't worry too much!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2018, 01:22:03 pm »
+3
THIS. Yes yes yes!!! I'm planning on going at the same time as you -- where are you thinking of going and for how long? Start saving now as well, but there are a ton of government and uni schemes to help you out so don't worry too much!
Not too sure yet-definitely needs to be English speaking though! I have a friend that does music and is on exchange this sem so I was going to talk to her about it and also go to the exchange expo in April and then decide. Will probably be there for around 4-6 months-enough time for a semester and to travel afterwards. If we end up close, we should meet up during exchange. :D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2019, 09:31:15 pm »
+10
23/2/19
Week 1

I’m at uni 4 days a week this term: I have Thursdays off but on Mondays and Fridays I only have class from 9-10:30 which is really annoying.

M&S3: I was going to do some revision for my theory unit in the holidays but didn’t and I’ve forgotten a lot. Our lecture went over both revision and then new content (augmented 6th chords) and I was so confused walking out. Our lecturers the same one that I had at the start of last year, and he picks on people to answer questions which I really hate. Because of trimesters, our lecturers have also gone from 1hr to 1 ½ hours and it seemed to drag on. There is still nothing for this course on moodle yet.

Performance Lab: Was pretty boring this week, nobody brought our instruments because we didn’t want to perform first week back so our lecturer brought out her flute and talked about a piece. We all need to perform next week though, and I still haven’t decided on what piece to play. I also need to pay for 8th grade next week, which is coming up really soon. I still need to memorise heaps of scales for it though. I’ve started learning this concerto which is really nice!

Education (Language/Literacy/Numeracy): It was mainly introductory stuff to start off but it was pretty interesting. We had a true/false kahoot on literacy which was really fun! We have a hurdle task for this due on Wednesday-it’s only 300 words but I haven’t been motivated to start yet.

This year I get to pick a stream for music (which is kinda like a major but it’s only 3 units). We can choose from: creative practise (performance/composition but you need 80% in your performance exam to get into this), sonic arts, musicology or music pedagogy. I’ve chosen pedagogy (studio teaching/kids) for this and our first units in term 3.

I’m finding it really difficult to get a job at the moment which is getting really frustrating. So far I’ve applied to around 25 and I’ve only had one interview.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2019, 01:13:26 pm »
+5
23/2/19
Week 1

I’m at uni 4 days a week this term: I have Thursdays off but on Mondays and Fridays I only have class from 9-10:30 which is really annoying.

That certainly sounds annoying. Is there anything beneficial you can do at uni on those days to make it less bad? (eg study groups)

The concerto sounds fantastic! :) Would definitely be a lot of practice as well (at least relative to if I were to attempt a piece like that when I was doing sax)

It'll be interesting to see how well the pedagogy stream complements the education side of your degree and if many people in that stream are also doing the double degree. Hopefully you can find some good peers through that :)

:( Good luck with the job search - hopefully things pick up for you soon!