Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 02:12:48 am

Author Topic: How to select preferences  (Read 1283 times)  Share 

Dr_Enigma

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How to select preferences
« on: September 25, 2020, 08:37:18 am »
Hi guys,

When i had chosen my preferences, i initially thought of going to SCHS because it was close, yet as the year progressed, my teachers said i had a good chance at getting into MHS, but i never really thought that i would go to mhs cuz its a bit far, yet it gives better things. My teacher said i was 'smart' enough to get in mhs.

i want to be a doctor, so which would be better to go ?

Should i put mhs as my first preference or not? cuz i thought its harder to get into mhs, and Schs is easier
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:39:08 am by Dr_Enigma »

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: How to select preferences
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:03:52 am »
+3
Hi guys,

When i had chosen my preferences, i initially thought of going to SCHS because it was close, yet as the year progressed, my teachers said i had a good chance at getting into MHS, but i never really thought that i would go to mhs cuz its a bit far, yet it gives better things. My teacher said i was 'smart' enough to get in mhs.

i want to be a doctor, so which would be better to go ?

Should i put mhs as my first preference or not? cuz i thought its harder to get into mhs, and Schs is easier
I was in the same boat as you- I wanted to be a Doctor, I live very close to Suzie but I had the potential to get into Mac Rob. I eventually did go to Suzie because of the following reason. In VCE, time is everything. School ends at 3:09 and because I lived 10 minutes from home, after school my mum would pick me up and bring me home at 3:45 (I had to pick up my brother as well). This contrasts with people who lived in the city/ South East who travelled 1-2 hours per way to get to school who reached home tired as hell. They would have to take a nap because they're so exhausted and if they're feeling motivated they would start studying at 5. Contrast this with me who could wake up early in the morning and study for a few hours as I didn't have to leavve home early, came home at 3:45, took a nap until 4:15 and started studying straight away. By the time people who lived far away reached home, I would have already studied for two hours. If you go to a school near you, you have all the time in the world to not just study, but to pursue other interests everyday without feeling guilty. I don't really know any opportunities in MHS other than cadets because I could never go there but Suzie has a lot of opportunities too! Both schools offer the subjects needed to get into medicine (english, chem) and both schools do have a strong cohort (though MHS does have harder sacs which scale up a lot more). To get into med it's not necessary to go to a selective school. If only competent selective school students got into med not even half the current seats in Monash would be filled. Getting into med is HARD and both schools can motivate you but going to one or the other doesn't guarantee you getting into med. Most students in both schools don't get into it. Pick the school where you think YOU can excel.
Also when are you writing the exam?
All the best!!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Dr_Enigma

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:34:46 am »
ahh, well the exam was once postponed to sep 19, then it got postponed again, and we don't know the date.

thanks for the info, yet cant we study on the train or something?

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:43 am »
+3
thanks for the info, yet cant we study on the train or something?
Perhaps you haven’t truly experienced being on a train. I used to commute to Melbourne Uni for work experience and it was a 100-minute commute. Getting there and back was truly exhausting and I’m not exaggerating. The commute is absolute stress, there’s a lot of studies that show a correlation between stress and commute and I’ve experienced it first hand to know it. Now I try to avoid seeking work and study in places where I have to take long public transport.

As well, the train is PACKED. Pre-COVID, we’re like sardines in a tin. No personal space and you’re often standing if you’re station is one of the later ones. Maybe it’s just me that has had very unfortunate experience with public transport but I assure you I’m not trying to demonise it just cause. The train is also moving so I can’t read or else motion sickness. I’ve also calculated how much time I’d lose if I went to Melb Uni every day. 3 and a half hours lost every day (!!) and that’s time spent otherwise. I only did it for a week, I can’t imagine how much time I’d waste sitting on the train when commuting for a year.

But this is talking about a very long commute. If it’s less than an hour it’ll be tolerable and again based on personal preference. If you can study in a moving train while standing up with people around you then perhaps you can, it’s a matter of personal preference. For you, public transport might not bother you but for other’s, it’s very exhausting and you’ll be tired before and after school limiting what you can do. Again, this is just my experience personally. My parents think I’m dramatic since one of them works in the city and had to go through what I did for a week for years. Many students also take public transport to schools much further from their home. You be the judge of it ultimately.
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Dr_Enigma

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 12:00:13 pm »
your right, i never been on a train for much and idk how it will affect me.

anyways, lets say i don't make it into mhs, and i put my second preference as schs, then how would i be selected for that? I've heard of a "waiting list" or somethin

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:03:59 pm »
your right, i never been on a train for much and idk how it will affect me.

anyways, lets say i don't make it into mhs, and i put my second preference as schs, then how would i be selected for that? I've heard of a "waiting list" or somethin
I don't think Suzanne categorises you as 'less priority' just because you put it as second preference. Depending on your academic achievement they may give you entrance with an interview or without. I can't comment much on the interview as I didn't have to do it but after the interview they do have a waiting list. You're more likely to go on the waiting list if you get PD from my understanding
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Dr_Enigma

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 03:26:01 pm »
thx