Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:02 am

Author Topic: My teacher took off 20% on my VCE Physics Test  (Read 1482 times)  Share 

Roger Luo

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
My teacher took off 20% on my VCE Physics Test
« on: September 17, 2020, 12:41:14 pm »
+1
I feel really salty that my teacher took 20% off my physics test because he does not believe me that my printer did fail to scan, he thought that it was unfair that I had a time advantage, even though I truly didn't. It was HLP, so the transferring and everything took a very long time. What should i take away here, is the teacher just super strict or i need to improve on something.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: My teacher took off 20% on my VCE Physics Test
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:57:31 pm »
+10
I feel really salty that my teacher took 20% off my physics test because he does not believe me that my printer did fail to scan, he thought that it was unfair that I had a time advantage, even though I truly didn't. It was HLP, so the transferring and everything took a very long time. What should i take away here, is the teacher just super strict or i need to improve on something.

I mean, it may be worth taking it higher and potentially getting the decision reversed - have another teacher comment on if they think this is fair or not. Not knowing the details of how the test took place, it's hard for us to judge if he's being too harsh or not. But I will say this approach isn't unprecedented - this is a VERY common thing at university. In Monash science, every day late your assignment is, you lose 10% off of it - as a TA, if my students had to hand in at 2pm on Thursday, if it got submitted at 2:01pm on that Thursday, I was told I HAD to take 10% off. Maybe 20% is a little too harsh, but it's not like he made this practice out of nowhere.

But also, regardless of if he's being too mean or not, there is something to be learned - it is always worth making sure technology is behaving before you need it, and not when you need it, if there's a time deadline to meet.

Skittles99

• Adventurer
  • Love to help out where I can.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 03:07:29 pm »
+3
But also, regardless of if he's being too mean or not, there is something to be learned - it is always worth making sure technology is behaving before you need it, and not when you need it, if there's a time deadline to meet.

I agree with this! ^^

This situation sucks, (sorry if this is harsh) but this is a lesson that needs to be learnt. You had a deadline and you missed it, your teacher could've let it slide but what would that say to other students? Say that he let you go with a warning, and then the next test 10 other people also have scanning issues, he/she would have to let them go with a warning too. That kind of defeats the purpose of the deadline, doesn't it?

Its the start of an unfair cycle. Next time maybe attempt to finish your test earlier to have more time dedicated to scanning. Please know one test score that is not up to your standards is not the end of the world :) Learn from your mistakes and try to make sure this doesn't happen again.
2019-2023: Monash University

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 05:07:34 pm »
I agree with this! ^^

This situation sucks, (sorry if this is harsh) but this is a lesson that needs to be learnt.

Yes, yes you are being extremely harsh. I had difficulties with a laptop in a sac which is similar to this situation which resulted in me failing and you think that constitutes “as a lesson which needed to be learnt”? Technology is beyond people’s control it’s not like leaving a pencil or calculator at home when you needed it for the sac.

I agree with this! ^^
 Learn from your mistakes and try to make sure this doesn't happen again.

This wasn’t there fault it was technology and beyond their control. Even if it was working beforehand whose to say it didn’t suddenly malfunction?

I personally think your teacher is being nasty online learning is so difficult!! I also think everyone above is being a tad but too serious  :P - it’s VCE during coronavirus I think we should cut this kid some slack  ;D
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Skittles99

• Adventurer
  • Love to help out where I can.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 07:17:23 pm »
+1
I had difficulties with a laptop in a sac which is similar to this situation which resulted in me failing and you think that constitutes “as a lesson which needed to be learnt”?

I'm sorry that you failed your SAC due to your laptop difficulties  :(  By learning a lesson I meant that OP in the future should try to finish up his test a bit earlier, as he stated;

the transferring and everything took a very long time

If OP could've finished up a bit earlier he would've had more time to spend on scanning and uploading his work and could've submitted before the deadline (assuming that's what happened)

I have been in a similar situation myself, throughout all of quarantine I have made sure to upload my uni assignments a while before the deadline incase my technology malfunctions.
2019-2023: Monash University

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 08:13:54 pm »
+8
I think a timed test that is less than a few hours in duration is quite an inappropriate method for a SAC to be done under current circumstances. If I was to challenge anything, it'd be the way in which this SAC was conducted. There are many ways an outcome can be demonstrated and to be fair should've been picked up at the school level - e.g. giving a bit of extra time to ALL students to cater for any issues. I also am a bit unsure about the 20% value - why was it 20%? Is there a policy at your school that stipulates this + was this purely because you handed it in late??

I can see both sides of this to be honest but I would like to also note a few comments of my own re: the comments made here.

Quote from: Coolgalbornin03Lo
I had difficulties with a laptop in a sac which is similar to this situation which resulted in me failing and you think that constitutes “as a lesson which needed to be learnt”?
I personally think your comment is more a vent of your own negative experience rather than anything else. I would challenge you to think about what any sort of individual advantage does to a class & the cohort in a competitive system.

Quote from: Coolgalbornin03Lo
This wasn’t there fault it was technology and beyond their control.
Well actually...... there are things OP could've done to reasonably ensure things were OK e.g. checking technology device before hand, and to let the teacher/assessor know before hand of any malfunctions or elements that would impede submission of a SAC. The OP would've had fair notice of a SAC being conducted and the method in which it was to be submitted, and really it just doesn't cut it to say "technology failed, help me". It is a harsh reality but this only is reinforced during university.

ON THE OTHER HAND (in balance to this) - schools and teachers should reasonably ensure that the SAC conditions cater for this and to ensure submission of work can be done in a way where all students can do it.

This may be something that could be reported to your school and may be factored into your individual assessment for special consideration.

Quote from: Roger Luo
It was HLP, so the transferring and everything took a very long time.
If you had any prior knowledge that your device takes a very long time to scan/transfer etc, then this should've been factored into the time. Regardless of how unfair the time allowance was, the speed of the device should've been considered.

Quote from: Roger Luo
What should i take away here, is the teacher just super strict or i need to improve on something.
Both. I think it's probably a good thing they were "strict" to maintain the integrity of the assessment task. Hopefully the same can be said for other classes/teachers at your school for the same subject (if any).

So these are just my own thoughts on the matter based on my own experiences. If you have any queries about the SAC, the way it was conducted or any practice by your teacher that may be viewed as unfair, I'd definitely encourage you to go speak to your coordinator / manager / whatever they call it at your school. That way, your school will be able to handle it internally and provide advice relevant to your own circumstances and the context of your school.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 08:25:06 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Roger Luo

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:11:24 pm »
So, the reason it was 20 pecent was because i handed it in 30 percent late, and he was being "generous", but when you say that there was 70 minutes writing time, you didn't say there were 60 mins writing and 10 mins scanning, so when I handed it in 22 mins late he took it off because I scanned.

His only argument is that everyone else did it so it's only fair, but that's like arguing in politics(or really anything) that because every other politician is accepting dark money(a bit controversial) so it's only fair if you do so too. A less controversial version will be arguing that because there is no climate action globally, Australia should just also follow suit and let Global warming wreak havoc.

like i get the fact that everyone else had to count in scanning time, but that does not justify that you are needed to count in scanning time for your writing time

Unknown-111

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 07:52:37 am »
+1
Hey mate I am very sorry that your teacher took 20% away from your physics test and thought that you had an advantage when you really didn't. I know this may sound a bit harsh, but teachers I feel have to be strict just because some students will try to cheat the system so rules have to be consistent across SACS/test. I feel like you should try to appeal to this if you can or maybe for future test just make sure you check that technology is working properly. I am not sure if this is an issue at your school, but at my school I know for a fact that many students will try to gain an advantage during SACS so they can have a higher ranking etc, so some teachers I know gotta be pretty harsh and take away marks as soon as it is submitted late.

alfred11s

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 04:13:18 am »
So, the reason it was 20 percent was because i handed it in 30 percent late, and he was being "generous", but when you say that there was 70 minutes writing time, you didn't say there were 60 mins writing and 10 mins scanning, so when I handed it in 22 mins late he took it off because I scanned.

The same thing happened to me few weeks ago, and my teacher didn't care about it either.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:15:06 am by alfred11s »

Roger Luo

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 12:42:38 pm »
The same thing happened to me few weeks ago, and my teacher didn't care about it either.

I'm sorry alfred, I appealed and as I suspected, the teacher didn't care what i said and just repeated the fact that "It was only fair" which it really wasn't.

Because it is physics, i left him an email, which has my working for the calculation that i was moving at 63% the speed of light, and therefore time dialation happened.