Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 02:32:23 am

Author Topic: Difference between Bachelor of Dental Surgery/(Honours) and DDS  (Read 1276 times)  Share 

joey.jiayi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
+1
Hello!
I'm currently in Year 12 and I am interested in studying dentistry.  I have been researching at different universities' websites, and now I have some unanswered questions.
What is the difference between Bachelor of Dental Science/Surgery, Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours), and Doctor of Dental Surgery/Medicine? I understand that they require different number of years to complete after Year 12, however do they have different qualifications as well? For example, being able to do different procedures or being able to work in more countries?

Please help me figure this out ><

Thank you so much!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Difference between Bachelor of Dental Surgery/(Honours) and DDS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:29:02 am »
+2
As far as I'm aware the DDS is a postgrad course so you have to have completed an undergrad course prior to starting it. Obviously that will add on a few years to your study.

As for what they qualify you to do, I believe you come out at the end with the same practicing privileges and abilities. Dentistry is a regulated profession so the courses will all quality you to do the same stuff.