Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:49:57 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 182209 times)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #420 on: September 08, 2020, 08:40:27 pm »
Have you checked to see if they have subject bonuses i.e extra 2 aggregate points for 35+ in English? I was looking at courses at Monash and Deakin and some had them? Also nursing at Geelong is much lower like 88 and at warambool or where ever it’s even lower. I know warambool is in the middle of nowhere and way too far away but have you looked into Geelong maybe? Just in case.
Sadly Burwood Campus (Deakin) is really the only campus I can go to for this course, of any uni, for travel reasons. Yes, I should be able to qualify for subject bonuses for English, Methods and HHD (already got the score, so I know I'll get a bonus for that if they take raw score) but still, it'll place me probably fairly low in the course - a double degree which is quite popular... I mean I expect to get into straight Nursing if I want to, but I really want the double degree, and I'd be quite sad if I didn't get in.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #421 on: September 09, 2020, 12:14:17 pm »
+2
Sadly Burwood Campus (Deakin) is really the only campus I can go to for this course, of any uni, for travel reasons. Yes, I should be able to qualify for subject bonuses for English, Methods and HHD (already got the score, so I know I'll get a bonus for that if they take raw score) but still, it'll place me probably fairly low in the course - a double degree which is quite popular... I mean I expect to get into straight Nursing if I want to, but I really want the double degree, and I'd be quite sad if I didn't get in.

It sounds like the subject bonuses will put you in a great position. I understand you're a bit worried, but the thing you can work towards right now is setting yourself up for the best shot at those bonuses, which from what I've read, you can get with a 30 SS. This, along with the entry atar score, is totally achievable, so don't discourage yourself!
Worst case scenario, have you considered any pathway options in your preferences that'd let you switch into the courses at Deakin? For peace of mind.
(:

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #422 on: September 09, 2020, 01:49:45 pm »
+1
I know what to do if I don't get in, that will end me with the same skills etc., but it takes a little longer, potentially doesn't give me as high a qualification in midwifery (graduate diploma as opposed to bachelor) and just doesn't sound as appealing. I mean, I'll keep trying for it, but I don't think I'll get in. Thanks :)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #423 on: September 09, 2020, 06:39:49 pm »
+4
I know what to do if I don't get in, that will end me with the same skills etc., but it takes a little longer, potentially doesn't give me as high a qualification in midwifery (graduate diploma as opposed to bachelor) and just doesn't sound as appealing. I mean, I'll keep trying for it, but I don't think I'll get in. Thanks :)

I completely understand, when you have your mind made up the longer route doesn't hold any appeal. Keep us updated on how you're going, and don't let yourself get too down (: All the best!

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2020, 04:20:00 pm »
+3
Guess who just failed a bio sac? And no before you assume it’s not because I didn’t study.

It’s because my laptop malfunctioned 🤩🤩🥳🥳🥳🥳. And I could not scroll up and see anything YAYYYYYYY. How beautiful. And it was only out of 26 marks WOWZA. I had extra time but my laptop could still not sort it’s self out WOW. I really wanted to cry but I also had to compose myself on zoom. I hate my life. The thing was I was so worried about content this SAC because content I was behind. But I worked my butt of and felt semi confident. And the questions were beautiful! They were hard but I’d done enough practise to be able to see their Tricks! But nope my laptop let me down. I feel horrible. Just came to rant here because it’s far beyond my control :(

How’s your Thursday guys?
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #425 on: September 10, 2020, 04:56:29 pm »
+1
Guess who just failed a bio sac? And no before you assume it’s not because I didn’t study.

It’s because my laptop malfunctioned 🤩🤩🥳🥳🥳🥳. And I could not scroll up and see anything YAYYYYYYY. How beautiful. And it was only out of 26 marks WOWZA. I had extra time but my laptop could still not sort it’s self out WOW. I really wanted to cry but I also had to compose myself on zoom. I hate my life. The thing was I was so worried about content this SAC because content I was behind. But I worked my butt of and felt semi confident. And the questions were beautiful! They were hard but I’d done enough practise to be able to see their Tricks! But nope my laptop let me down. I feel horrible. Just came to rant here because it’s far beyond my control :(

Have you talked to your teacher about it? Or mentioned the problems you had? I don't know there's anything that can be done, but still, maybe try?

Also, think about how much you studied - that's really great! That will help for the exam a lot, right? You've done that practise - it's practise for the exam. Even though it wasn't so great for this SAC, it's still good.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #426 on: September 10, 2020, 05:01:42 pm »
+2

That's awful, i'm so sorry that happened to you. Is there anyway you can alert you teacher to redo the SAC, or send it in paper format with parent supervision? Something similar happened to me where my keyboard malfunctioned. That is just ridiculously unfair, and if you teacher doesn't agree I think you should be able to take it up with someone higher at the school, otherwise this is just straight up unfair.
Anyway, I hope this get's resolved for you, good luck!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #427 on: September 10, 2020, 05:14:58 pm »
+2
Thanks guys :) I was given extra time but I just had to type into the video cam chat what answers I wanted to put for the ones I couldn’t answer :( I had five extra minutes to do this. I didn’t get to go back and fix up my answers or even looked if I missed any questions :( that allopathic speciation question was a bit dodgy as my keyboard typed “change in allele frequency” three times and I couldn’t delete. But anyway it was the very last sac so I guess that’s okay right? I do hope they take this into consideration of my low score.

Anyway 🥳 no more bio SACs! Although I am a bit sad I quite liked bio........although I’m not sure I will after 1000 practise exams!
My avatar sums up life.
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #428 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:58 pm »

I'm so sorry dude this is seriously horrible!

Thanks guys :) I was given extra time but I just had to type into the video cam chat what answers I wanted to put for the ones I couldn’t answer :( I had five extra minutes to do this. I didn’t get to go back and fix up my answers or even looked if I missed any questions :( that allopathic speciation question was a bit dodgy as my keyboard typed “change in allele frequency” three times and I couldn’t delete.
I know it sucks but at least it's over and it's just the exam looming over. All the best!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2020, 03:36:52 pm »
I got back that comparative SAC: 80%, 48/60, four marks (and who knows how many ranks) behind top. I'd aimed for 90+% or at least 50/60. :'(
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2020, 03:40:47 pm »
I got back that comparative SAC: 80%, 48/60, four marks (and who knows how many ranks) behind top. I'd aimed for 90+% or at least 50/60. :'(

Woah your teachers are so quick at marking!!!!! It takes mine 3 months to moderate the SACs etc (although I guess there are like 200+ kids).

Anyway I think that’s an amazing score!! And remember those wise words you told me.....it’s all in the exam!!!😊😊

Anyway I know me saying this doesn’t help and your feelings are completely valid! I got back a truly terrible SAC today and can’t help feeling like I should probably throw myself in front of several moving cars.

Also why is it out of 60?
My avatar sums up life.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2020, 03:57:39 pm »
+10
I got back a truly terrible SAC today and can’t help feeling like I should probably throw myself in front of several moving cars.

If this is honestly how you feel, please do seek help. It's not healthy to want to purposefully put yourself in danger like this. Whether it be talking to a friend, or a trusted adult. Maybe your school has councillors that you can see? You can even talk to your GP if you're feeling down, and they can arrange finding a psychologist for you to speak to, and even arrange a mental health care plan so that you can get these visits for free. And if none of these seem like options, don't forget you can call the following numbers for free:

Kids helpline: 1800 55 1800
Headspace: 1800 650 890
SANE Australia: 1800 18 7263

And if you don't want to call someone, you can also use online chat with headspace by clicking on this link.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2020, 10:30:52 pm »
Woah your teachers are so quick at marking!!!!! It takes mine 3 months to moderate the SACs etc (although I guess there are like 200+ kids).

Anyway I think that’s an amazing score!! And remember those wise words you told me.....it’s all in the exam!!!😊😊

Anyway I know me saying this doesn’t help and your feelings are completely valid! I got back a truly terrible SAC today and can’t help feeling like I should probably throw myself in front of several moving cars.

Also why is it out of 60?
The teacher isn't usually quick at marking - we got told it was there and all just stood there in shock. It's out of 60 because I think that's what it's out of in the study design? not sure though.

I do feel better about the SAC than I did earlier though, because I realised that the stuff I was told I did well was the stuff I'd been focusing on beforehand, so it definitely helped. Anyway, it wasn't what I aimed for, but ah well. Helped too that I got back a really good SAC for Texts today also (A; he doesn't give out percentages). However, I'm happy enough with English. Thanks for your kind words :)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #433 on: September 18, 2020, 08:28:33 am »
+1
Who is excited for the “holidays”? 

doing practise exams yayyy  :-\

Is everyone planning to do HEAPs or leave the bulk of it for after the holidays? I was planning on getting comfortable with content and completing all the early vcaa seperate unit 3 and unit 4 exams from 2010-2012 (for Chem I’m starting back in 08’) so then I have 1 full length (2013 onwards) VCAA exam per week after the holidays+ sprinkling in a few companies.

At my school apparently there’s still (annoyingly) online classes for 6 sessions a day in the first week (Staring at a screen yay) so it doesn’t look like I’ll get much study done then :P it’s also super funny they plan to give us 10 exams on GAT day haha, SIX weeks before exams.

There’s a trial exam for English in the first week and I’ve never written an essay in an hour this year much less three in three. All out SACs are 1 hour 50 and the text response was four hours online!!! I’m not sure what to do after organising my stuff but maybe I’ll just LITERALLY start writing for my other subjects- I can’t even takes notes anymore. 

Hope you all enjoy our last, last day of term! Didn’t even realise.........
My avatar sums up life.

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #434 on: September 18, 2020, 08:53:28 am »
+1
Who is excited for the “holidays”? 

doing practise exams yayyy  :-\

Is everyone planning to do HEAPs or leave the bulk of it for after the holidays? I was planning on getting comfortable with content and completing all the early vcaa seperate unit 3 and unit 4 exams from 2010-2012 (for Chem I’m starting back in 08’) so then I have 1 full length (2013 onwards) VCAA exam per week after the holidays+ sprinkling in a few companies.

At my school apparently there’s still (annoyingly) online classes for 6 sessions a day in the first week (Staring at a screen yay) so it doesn’t look like I’ll get much study done then :P it’s also super funny they plan to give us 10 exams on GAT day haha, SIX weeks before exams.

There’s a trial exam for English in the first week and I’ve never written an essay in an hour this year much less three in three. All out SACs are 1 hour 50 and the text response was four hours online!!! I’m not sure what to do after organising my stuff but maybe I’ll just LITERALLY start writing for my other subjects- I can’t even takes notes anymore. 

Hope you all enjoy our last, last day of term! Didn’t even realise.........
I'm quite looking forward to the holidays - mainly because today is my LAST SAC EVER!!! and then I will start practise exams. For Methods the teacher's given us four practise exams to do over the holidays. For Texts, since it's my last exam and a week after the second last, I'll do very little except maybe a few essays, but no full exams for a while. The problem with doing Texts exams is that the passages for study change every year, so it's not like we can just do any exam! English, I'll probably just work on LA and maybe a bit of TR, timed, comparative the SAC I was finished in probably an hour ten or something, so I'll just... trust... Trials are slightly worrying though, that's for sure! I think ours is in the holidays for English. For History the teacher will probably make sure I do plenty of work :P

But my main study will probably be after the holidays when I settle down to doing real, solid exams, especially for English. Methods I'll probably do in chunks, timed, rather than entire exams at once. But we'll see! Tomorrow I'm hoping to write up a list of things I want to complete before each exam, which should give increased clarity.

The joys of year 12...
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her