Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:18:35 am

Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 1154 times)

Jamsiiboii

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Need advice
« on: August 06, 2019, 05:56:06 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm soo darn depressed, cause I think I just flunked the English HSC Trials. I was hoping for a high band 5, but because of today's and yesterday's paper, I think I might get a low band 4. Put so much time and effort and yet I still do pretty bad.  :'( :'(

Are the chances of me still getting an 85 atar really low now?

Pls reply!!

Thanks.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 07:05:18 pm »
+9
Hey there,

You can still get an 85 ATAR! There are a few things to keep in mind:

1. The Trials are a lot harder than the HSC, especially if you do the Catholic Trial paper. The main reason is to "scare off the students and push them to study."
2. Unlike the HSC, your Trial exams are crammed into 2 weeks even though you haven't either finished learning the whole syllabus or that you haven't had the chance to properly absorb the knowledge.
3. This is your first time sitting in an exam like the HSC- they are called "Trials" for a reason. This might've been the first time you sat two papers for English, or the full 3 hours for your other exams.
4. Your teachers are encouraged to be generous with the marking because of the points above.

And keep in mind that your marks are going to be scaled. I never encourage students to just slack off and let scaling do the work, but if you put in the hard work, it actually does help. For example, throughout all of Year 12, my marks in math were never at a Band 6 range (sometimes I'd scrape a pass or it would be around 60%) but my rank wasn't too bad. I get my HSC results back and my internal exam mark was scaled to an 80.

So don't start assuming that it's impossible to reach your ATAR goal, especially when you have one more set of exams! (Don't get me wrong, exams suck, but at least they give you another chance to make amends) At this point in time, focus on doing your best in Trials, take a break, and then start going back and see where you can improve.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:30:34 pm »
+5
I got like 68% in my English trial and I failed one task as well. Still got a 95+ atar... Don't lose hope yet.

With the HSC being worth 50% you'd be surprised by how much you can pull your mark up. One of my friends barely passed most of his Chemistry assessments throughout the year, including the trial, but he still ended up with a high band 4. As Owidjaja mentioned trials can be much harder than HSC for a lot of subjects(excluding 4u maths).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:32:38 pm by DrDusk »

Jamsiiboii

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 10:59:05 am »
+2
Thank you so much owidjaja and DrDusk for your support and advice. Feel much more motivated and happier.

Thanks
JamsiiBoii

Anas Abdullah

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 09:29:21 pm »
Hi there,
I just needed some advice on course preference on UAC (dunno which spread to ask in). Firstly, I am interested in dentistry but got a reasonably low UCAT score. What are my chances of getting into CSU Dentistry and what ATAR and interview results should I be working towards? Should I keep this course on number 1 on UAC Subject Preference?
Thanks in advance  :)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 09:34:48 pm »
Your number 1 preference should always be what you want the most even if your marks are lower(within reason).

Jamsiiboii

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 02:09:41 pm »
I can't believe I'm saying this... but I got physics trials back... one of the hardest tests of my life.

I copped a 45%  :'( :'( and I'm dying right now!

The scaling of my hsc mark and trials are gonna be rubbish :( ---> bad atar!!

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 03:06:09 pm »
I can't believe I'm saying this... but I got physics trials back... one of the hardest tests of my life.

I copped a 45%  :'( :'( and I'm dying right now!

The scaling of my hsc mark and trials are gonna be rubbish :( ---> bad atar!!

It's important that you still keep on trying. One bad subject doesn't necessarily equal a bad atar. For example in my HSC I failed an English task but still got a mid band 5 for English. While I agree the weighting of it was less than a trial, you can still get a decent mark of like high 70's to low 80s, and Physics is a subject that scales well so your goal is still achievable if you do well in your other subjects!

Jamsiiboii

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »
Thanks, DrDusk... Hopefully, I did well in the other subjects.

JamsiiBoii