Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:07:06 am

Author Topic: Legal Studies Query  (Read 5114 times)  Share 

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Legal Studies Query
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »
To me a legal tutor isn't really necessary because if your legal teacher is half decent, they will show you how to word your answers and the rest is just memorising.
A think a legal tutor wouldn't help me get a higher score since legal studies isn't a hard subject to me. What I would have done better was try harder on my Unit 3 sacs...
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
ATAR: 97.45
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »
I had a legal tutor for one three hour session about three weeks before the exam. She didn't realy tell me anything I didn't already know and it was just to fix up my method of answering questions. I think they're unnessicary for Legal studies but, as saaaam said, it would be very helpfull to have someone to mark practice exams for you.
Paying someone to correct prac exams would be useful for all subjects, really. Then I wouldn't have felt so guilty when I handed my teachers piles of them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

To me a legal tutor isn't really necessary because if your legal teacher is half decent, they will show you how to word your answers and the rest is just memorising.

Very true.

Wilby

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 11:38:45 pm »
To weigh in here, I got a 50 in 2010 for Legal and have been considering tutoring, but have been rather unsure of whether there is actually any demand. I would certainly agree that it's unnecessary on any frequent ongoing basis, but as far as exam technique, marking answers, and general tips and tricks, I feel that I would have quite a bit to offer.

Thoughts? :)

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:17 pm »
You could offer lectures before unit 3 and unit 4 (like one in the summer holidays and one in the term 2 holidays?) like a summary of the course? I don't think ongoing legal studies tuition is necessary but summary/introduction lectures may be helpful? (like the ones tsfx give, maybe even better :)
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:20 am »
You could offer lectures before unit 3 and unit 4 (like one in the summer holidays and one in the term 2 holidays?) like a summary of the course? I don't think ongoing legal studies tuition is necessary but summary/introduction lectures may be helpful? (like the ones tsfx give, maybe even better :)

Yes, that. Similar to what shinny is doing with English. It's good to get a student's perspective, who has done the subject before. It's a different insight as opposed to the stock-standard VCAA marker talking. I'm going to the Legal Studies lecture held by TSFX at UoM next week, I'll see if it's worth the money. Is anyone else going or planning to?

but as far as exam technique, marking answers, and general tips and tricks.

Thoughts?

That's really as much as you need to do for a Legal Studies tutor, I guess. The content itself can be learnt by the student(s), it's really the technical things; like exam technique and so on, that would be of benefit to students. If you do happen to tutor, even if it's a one-off session, I'd be willing to try it.

flash36

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »
No tutor needed in my opinion, just get a credible person to correct your practice exams leading up to the exam. I didn't even have that either and still did alright. So a tutor is not necessary as far as I'm concerned.

sgeorge

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 01:31:10 pm »
I don't believe you would need a tutor for Legal as the concepts are fairly simple and really, it is just having the ability to remember it all and then being able to form it into a cohesive response. However as a few of the others have touched on, it may be useful just to have someone in the last month or so to mark exams, extended responses and provide alternative feedback to that of your teacher.

2009-2010: VET Multimedia | Methods CAS | English | Legal Sudies | National Politics | Accounting | VET IT

2011-2013: BBIS at Monash - IBL Stream

Semester 1: Principles of Accounting & Finance | Computer Programming | Business Information Analysis | Intro. to Business Information Systems

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 02:05:56 pm »
I think its important, just as in English, to learn to correct yourself; a regular tutor shouldn't be necessary in a subject like this. If you have questions, post them on VN or ask your teacher. Besides the monetary cost, a tutor could end up being a waste of time as you'll be sitting there thinking "I could have understood this in one read."

Perhaps that's just me because I'm OK with understanding commerce and humanities subjects' theories, but I can't see it having the same benefit as a science tutor. My approach to Legal and Psych will be like mine to BM, learn to mark myself so that in the exam, I can edit my responses where necessary.

Alternatively we can, later on in the year, make a 'Mark my Response' thread like we did in BM for the 10 marker. You post your response to a question, everyone marks it and gives criticism.

You're a smart guy EPL, I think you're putting pressure on Legal so much you feel a tutor is necessary, when in actual fact if you relax and look at the concepts they will click.

Hope that helps.

werdna

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 06:12:51 pm »
I think its important, just as in English, to learn to correct yourself; a regular tutor shouldn't be necessary in a subject like this. If you have questions, post them on VN or ask your teacher. Besides the monetary cost, a tutor could end up being a waste of time as you'll be sitting there thinking "I could have understood this in one read."

Perhaps that's just me because I'm OK with understanding commerce and humanities subjects' theories, but I can't see it having the same benefit as a science tutor. My approach to Legal and Psych will be like mine to BM, learn to mark myself so that in the exam, I can edit my responses where necessary.

Alternatively we can, later on in the year, make a 'Mark my Response' thread like we did in BM for the 10 marker. You post your response to a question, everyone marks it and gives criticism.

You're a smart guy EPL, I think you're putting pressure on Legal so much you feel a tutor is necessary, when in actual fact if you relax and look at the concepts they will click.

Hope that helps.

Seconded. I think even seeing your teacher after class for 15 minutes or so would yield similar results to what you anticipate Legal tutoring would. Oh and Burberry, with the 'Mark my response' thread thing, I made a suggestion about something similar to this (for all students, not just individual) but it was locked due to potential copyright issues. But I think your idea would work!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »
Thanks for the help Burberry, werdna and everyone else. I probably won't get a tutor; I'll use VN or just ask my teacher any questions prior to the exam.