Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:46:26 am

Author Topic: Bianca3016's VCE Journal  (Read 31449 times)

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
Re: Bianca3016's VCE Journal
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2018, 11:02:42 am »
+10
2 exams down, 3 to go.
Economics was unusually easy? One topic I focused on a lot when studying was Monetary Policy and it showed up a bit, which was great. My teacher was trying to get us to focus on a range of different topics he thought would be on the exam, and they were so stupid and irrelevant. I'm glad I didn't follow his advice, but feel sorry for those that did. My only issue with the exam being so easy was that any marks lost had a more significant impact than in a harder exam, so that's a little scary.
Further was harder than I was expecting? Nothing like past vcaa exams, more like company exam level difficulty (not as bad as MAV though). In practise exams, I wasn't losing any marks and didn't have trouble with time allocation. In the real exam, I was so stressed, scared for time, and actually struggled with a couple of questions? I marked my answers against what people have posted here and on fb and I didn't even hit 90. I'm so annoyed with myself for this because honestly the errors I made were stupid. Further is not a subject where I can afford to miss that many marks, and considering that some of my friends didn't drop any marks, the exam wasn't too hard to do well in.
This weekend will be entirely dedicated to exam 2. I find exam 2 a lot easier to get into the mood and stress less, it's lowkey therapeutic, but I'm going to start with MAV exam 2s, as they seemed to be the hardest commercial exams.
Accounting is Friday next week, I will focus on that from Monday afternoon onwards. I'm not confident that I can do well, I definitely didn't work hard enough to catch up throughout the year.
Saturday 10th onwards will be eng lang prep. I can do okay in the exam, but I need to just write paper after paper after paper in that week.

Overall, I'm so disappointed with this year in school. I know I can do better than this and it's so disappointing seeing my further results.
Oh well, can only work harder for Monday.
Good luck to everyone sitting exams this week :)
2017; Biology
2018; Accounting, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Further Mathematics

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2018, 02:13:03 pm »
+4
We've had lots of feedback on Insta about the weird nature of the Further exam! Lots of people have said similar to what you've said above. Try not to worry about it too much - you never really know how exam performance will translate to actual scores (due to other factors such as difficulty of exam etc.). :)

Great work - just three more!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2018, 02:25:35 pm »
+6
In practise exams, I wasn't losing any marks and didn't have trouble with time allocation. In the real exam, I was so stressed, scared for time, and actually struggled with a couple of questions?

It's really weird how the pressure of exams can get to us, I had the exact same thing when I did Further. Finishing practice exams in 30 minutes or so, and then sweating hard in the actual exam and only finishing with ~30 seconds to go. As Joseph said, do you're best to put it past you, there's not much productivity to be found in reminiscing on it now.

Keep your head up, even if you feel disappointed right now, you've still got plenty of chances to show how much effort you've put in. Best of luck for your remaining exams!

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2018, 06:38:37 pm »
+3
We've had lots of feedback on Insta about the weird nature of the Further exam! Lots of people have said similar to what you've said above. Try not to worry about it too much - you never really know how exam performance will translate to actual scores (due to other factors such as difficulty of exam etc.). :)

Great work - just three more!

Yeah I know there's a universal dislike of the exam difficulty, it's just annoying knowing that the mistakes I made were rather stupid and I could have easily solved them any other time. I'm not stressed about my actual score, I'm thinking more about how many more marks I could have had.
Oh well, nothing I can do now except prepare myself for the worst tomorrow haha
Can't believe there's only 3 exams left then I'm finished? Feels like yesterday I started this journal, yet I've changed SO much haha

It's really weird how the pressure of exams can get to us, I had the exact same thing when I did Further. Finishing practice exams in 30 minutes or so, and then sweating hard in the actual exam and only finishing with ~30 seconds to go. As Joseph said, do you're best to put it past you, there's not much productivity to be found in reminiscing on it now.

Keep your head up, even if you feel disappointed right now, you've still got plenty of chances to show how much effort you've put in. Best of luck for your remaining exams!

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I take great comfort in the fact that everyone could relate to that on Friday. I can't change anything now, just focus on doing my best tomorrow, and at least now I'm mentally prepared for a difficult exam.
Thanks so much!!
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2018, 04:45:43 pm »
+9
Further exam 2 was fantastic!! Thanks, VCAA.
I can't believe I only have two exams left until I'm finished.
Accounting is my next main focus. I'm super stressed for this but I feel like this may change throughout the week since I'm just going to be doing practise exam after practise exam.
Then englang, then I'm outta here!!
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2018, 07:20:03 pm »
+4
There are less than 12 hours until ATARs are released and I'm a little sad that this is the end of VCE, as it's been such a huge part of my life for so long.
I used to believe that the number I will receive tomorrow is a summary of my 13 years of education, but I don't think so anymore. I'm honestly quite calm, and almost looking forward to opening my results.
I know they won't reflect exactly what I want, that there will be a few numbers missing that I will kick myself over for a couple of seconds, but I also know that what I want to do in life isn't greatly affected by it (there's always another path), and I'm determined enough to make my dreams a reality.
I got early offers for a business/law degree and a business degree from two interstate universities, but I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to pick up my life and leave behind the important friends and family members I have here, even if it is only temporary. But I guess we'll see how it goes at 7am tomorrow.

See you soon ;)
2017; Biology

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2018, 07:24:28 pm »
+2
There are less than 12 hours until ATARs are released and I'm a little sad that this is the end of VCE, as it's been such a huge part of my life for so long.
I used to believe that the number I will receive tomorrow is a summary of my 13 years of education, but I don't think so anymore. I'm honestly quite calm, and almost looking forward to opening my results.
I know they won't reflect exactly what I want, that there will be a few numbers missing that I will kick myself over for a couple of seconds, but I also know that what I want to do in life isn't greatly affected by it (there's always another path), and I'm determined enough to make my dreams a reality.
I got early offers for a business/law degree and a business degree from two interstate universities, but I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to pick up my life and leave behind the important friends and family members I have here, even if it is only temporary. But I guess we'll see how it goes at 7am tomorrow.

See you soon ;)

What uni do you want to get into?

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2018, 07:42:15 pm »
What uni do you want to get into?

I'm not sure... Love the look of a couple of RMIT's courses at the moment, and the applied/practical side of their business degrees are great, so maybe there?
Probably not Monash because I'm not a fan of the campuses. MelbUni is an option for transferring, but I'll have to do maths to make up for stupid yr11 me dropping methods haha
And interstate, Adelaide Uni and Bond are my favourites I think.
2017; Biology

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2018, 01:34:10 am »
+1
I'm not sure... Love the look of a couple of RMIT's courses at the moment, and the applied/practical side of their business degrees are great, so maybe there?
Probably not Monash because I'm not a fan of the campuses. MelbUni is an option for transferring, but I'll have to do maths to make up for stupid yr11 me dropping methods haha
And interstate, Adelaide Uni and Bond are my favourites I think.
Don't forget about Deakin - this uni sounds promising!

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2018, 10:04:40 pm »
+1
Don't forget about Deakin - this uni sounds promising!

I've looked at Deakin a few times, never really been interested though.
2017; Biology

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2018, 11:14:54 am »
+10
We’ve finally reached the end of this VCE journey journal. It’s been a tough ride, but has never ceased to be an insanely unpredictable, life-changing, wonderful, stressful, sad, happy, and crazy experience.
It’s an odd feeling, knowing that such a huge part of your life has ended. School has made up the bulk of my thoughts and actions for 13 years, and now it will just cease to exist as anything more than a memory. That’s crazy.

I think the most interesting part of reading my journal front to back is seeing how much I’ve changed as a student over this period of time. In year 11, my heart was set on a 98+ ATAR and medicine, now I couldn’t imagine pursuing anything but business, and my goal ATAR was just enough to get in; nothing more, nothing less.
My ATAR and VCE journey came to mean something entirely different to me in recent months. It was no longer something I based my self-worth on, all it meant was I could get into the course I wanted. This was a great mindset, as come the 14th of December, I was not disappointed as long as I met the requirements for my course (which were reasonably easy). My academic worth, in my head, was instead based on how confident I felt with topics, how much I enjoyed subjects, and the little achievements throughout my education thus far. I’ve worked so, so incredibly hard for 13 years. I’ve earned numerous scholarships, I got myself into a selective entry school, I’ve won a number of academic competitions, I’ve studied until insane hours of the morning, I’ve always tried my absolute best, and I refuse to reduce all of this to the numbers I received this morning – they’re just another one of these small successes.

My most difficult hurdle in Year 12 was the 5 hours of travel I did every day. I’ve mentioned it a few times throughout, but it honestly changed everything for me. I woke up at 5am and slept late. I lost over 24 hours a week to dead time, and I never, ever handled it well. I found I worked best when I packed my routine full of sports and extra-curricula activities, which forced me to use my free periods and lunchtimes studying. I wish I could have found a way to get around this, and will definitely need to next year. Hey, at least I'm almost a morning person now!!

I think my favourite part of Year 12 was ‘finding myself’. I know it sounds so cliché, but I’ve changed so much as a person and I’m so happy about that. Socially, I’ve made my closest, most amazing friends (hello & thank you to the one reading this  ;) ) and said goodbye to the toxic people in my life. Physically & mentally, I’ve become stronger and set new, amazing habits that’ll stick with me for life. Academically, I used year 12 to chill out a little before uni, so that I don’t spend first year being burnt out. And just generally as a person, I think I’ve improved haha. The constant stress and looming responsibilities definitely make a huge impact, and I’m so glad I could transform these bad situations into amazing ones.

It’s also interesting watching my school in its flawed entirety show itself when it gets tough. I’ve loved and been proud of it for so, so long and they’ve completely torn that apart over the last few months. There’s little support for anyone who isn’t set to achieve close to 50 (and this is a very, very strong cohort, so it’s not like it would be difficult to, I don’t know, pay attention to the other students?), and so many ridiculous politics in the admin/staff teams that reflect poorly in their teaching and leadership. It’s sad that 4 amazing years turned to ****, but I am glad that it happened near the end.

I hope that my journal has been of some support/entertainment to someone at some point. I’ve changed a lot since August 2017, and I feel that this has been reflected in my writing. I don’t necessarily agree/stand by everything said in the beginning, so read it with a  grain of salt. I’m unsure as to whether this will be archived, deleted, or kept here for many years, but I hope someone who is struggling with the hardships of VCE can seek solace in the fact that it will all work out okay. Your ATAR is a prerequisite to get into a uni course, and that is all it ever has to be. It doesn’t define you, and I hope that truly sinks in.
VCE is such a hard bundle of months. It’ll reduce you to tears, but also reveal a new, hopefully better person in the end. It’s long and arduous nights of studying and getting nowhere, but it’s also lively and exciting evenings of 18ths that you are entitled to enjoy. Don’t get caught up in the belief that Year 12 is all work and no play, join a sport or two, get a job, play an instrument, and get involved at school. I don’t regret one second of the fun, even if it changed my grades on occasion.

Thank you so, so much for being a part of this time. This journal and the many people who have read it, replied to it, and messaged me to offer their priceless advice has been an amazing source of support. Thank you, also, to the moderators and admin that always get involved and stay in contact. And finally to the readers, even if this is the first and only post you’ll ever see of mine, thanks for coming haha (and good luck with your future successes!).
2017; Biology

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2018, 11:35:47 am »
+5
This was such an amazing journal to read. I loved your insights about year 12 and life. I wish you all the best.

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2018, 11:56:33 am »
+1
This was such an amazing journal to read. I loved your insights about year 12 and life. I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much x
2017; Biology

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »
+5
You've ran a fantastic journal this year; and I've enjoyed reading it :)

Any chance you might set up a uni journal?

Thankyou for sharing your journey with us and best of luck for the next one!

bianca3016

• Forum Regular
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2018, 12:39:09 pm »
+4
You've ran a fantastic journal this year; and I've enjoyed reading it :)

Any chance you might set up a uni journal?

Thankyou for sharing your journey with us and best of luck for the next one!

Thank you so much for all of your support :)
I may set one up... We'll see next year haha
2017; Biology