Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:16:08 pm

Author Topic: Anyone from the western suburbs going to Monash?  (Read 8768 times)  Share 

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: Anyone from the western suburbs going to Monash?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:19 am »
You Monash people seem nicer than those Melbourne people...

Oh really?  :P

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:53 am »
.. and funnier :)

just putting it out there

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 02:00:28 am »
Then I better delete my post in your thread in the UoM forum because I'm apparently not nice.  :P  haha jokes

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

InitialDRulz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 02:05:57 am »
Well i like on the Sydenham line if that counts (Sunshine to be exact).

20 minutes from Sunshine Station > Flinders Street Station
Note that you can ONLY go to the east via Flinders....its lame because if i go to Melbourne Central (which it will stop pass first) to get some snacks, i gotta catch the train from Melbourne Central to Flinders to travel to the east....
Depending on which train i take in the morning, i could wait either roughly 0 minutes to 15 minutes (stupid train delays haha)
Roughly 25 minutes from Flinders > Huntingdale Station
Wait time can vary from 0 minutes to 5 minutes, depending on when the shuttle buses come
Roughly 6 minutes from Huntingdale Station > Monash University Clayton

Yeah been going there for 5 weeks now. Its not too bad the travel times, it really depends on how your timetable is scheduled. My classes start at 11am, so i catch the train with very sweaty men trying to go to work at 8:10, i normally arrive there at 9:40. My classes finish at 3pm so when i get back to Flinders, its packed with school kids trying to go home, hence, sweaty men trying to go home hahaha.
Maths Methods Examination 1 Cone of Death Facebook Fan Page

2011: Bachelor of Business Information Systems (IBL Stream) - Monash University Clayton

Hope

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:14 am »
^ Sweats = Eww, but true. :(

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 09:01:57 am »
Well i like on the Sydenham line if that counts (Sunshine to be exact).

20 minutes from Sunshine Station > Flinders Street Station
Note that you can ONLY go to the east via Flinders....its lame because if i go to Melbourne Central (which it will stop pass first) to get some snacks, i gotta catch the train from Melbourne Central to Flinders to travel to the east....
Depending on which train i take in the morning, i could wait either roughly 0 minutes to 15 minutes (stupid train delays haha)
Roughly 25 minutes from Flinders > Huntingdale Station
Wait time can vary from 0 minutes to 5 minutes, depending on when the shuttle buses come
Roughly 6 minutes from Huntingdale Station > Monash University Clayton

Yeah been going there for 5 weeks now. Its not too bad the travel times, it really depends on how your timetable is scheduled. My classes start at 11am, so i catch the train with very sweaty men trying to go to work at 8:10, i normally arrive there at 9:40. My classes finish at 3pm so when i get back to Flinders, its packed with school kids trying to go home, hence, sweaty men trying to go home hahaha.

Oh I but I have to get on at Watergardens (the end of the line) so that might add to the time as well..
But yeah you seem to be the only westsider who's OK with the travel times.

InitialDRulz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 09:34:55 am »
Ah yeah thats an additional 20 minutes. Yeah at first i really bitched about it hard, but after a week or two you sorta get used to it. Yeah it does kill your usual routine, cause essentially you are killing 2 hours a day on travel. I normally use it to catch up on my sleep however. I know a couple of people who live in Keilor Plains and don't mind travelling, my friend has 9am classes so she has to get up at 5:30 3 days a week and still goes. It really comes from how motivated you are. I personally chose Monash because of the atmospheric difference, is it worth travelling? Hellz yeah! Nothing beats sleep haha. There is open day coming mid this year, you could try yourself how long it would take from watergardens to monash. Some people don't mind, some people ranted like no tomorrow (me). But yeah good experience haha

2011: Bachelor of Business Information Systems (IBL Stream) - Monash University Clayton

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:18 am »
if you like recreational reading / writing etc. travelling is a really good time to catch up on it, I read so much more on the train than I do anywhere else

- from someone who travels 3 hours to/from work 3 days a week and will never stop bitching about it
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 10:00:40 am »
Yeah I might just do that and go to the Open Day (and I do like reading/studying on the train).

I guess there'd be more seats available on the train if you're going to Monash since you're catching such an early train compared to travelling to UoM. If you're going to UoM, you'd most likely be travelling during peak hour..

Shit its getting difficult to choose a uni..

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:17 pm »
I haven't actually read most of this thread so forgive me if ive missed something.

I live in the west and i go to monash. I think i can also a good perspective since im a first year student and i've only been there for about 6 weeks now.I won't lie to you, it isn't easy, however it isn't terrible either.

Try to push your timetable as forward into the afternoon as you can, it's what i did, become a master at it when the time comes. I start at 10am 3 times a week and 11 am 2 times a week.  For that i have to get up at about 650 or 720 ish respectively and leave about 750-810am.So it does suck, its worse than what i got in high-school to be honest and i thought i had it bad then getting up at 715. I kinda hoped come uni id only need to go for a couple days a week and a couple hours every day, that fantasy was sadly smashed. More likely than not you will be there 5 days a week (4 if you can swing it well).

That said i kind of have adjusted to it and i don't honestly mind the actual travel, it's just getting up that early but occasionally i do miss the odd class (which is fine if you listen to the recording in my opinion anyway, most classes at Monash are recorded. I tried my hardest to avoid early classes but i have this one 8am class on a wednesday, i just skip it and listen to the recording.) Even then if you adjust your sleep patterns accordingly shouldn't be too much of a problem. (Unless you're a major night owl like me)

I tried to read non fiction books (im interested in some artsy type things but i didnt have any room so i read books like that) but i've switched to fiction (sherlock holmes ftw) and the time seems to breeze past. This might sound a bit silly to you but in the two hours it takes me, its also prime time to like read your textbook or do some small section of your homework or something. You can't really procrastinate on the train either so in the 4 hours total travel in a day you could learn a lot from your textbook and hopefully (lazily) improve your grades.

I usually get a seat on the train, make sure you get a concession card though, i got busted 3 times and talked my way out of it 3 times before i got one. I get on at stab albans station.4 hours travel is a lot of downtime though every day, however if monash is what you really want then go for it. I still don't really like the travel time and transferring to melbourne was on the cards before i even took my first regular trip to monash, all this travel business isnt helping.

In the end though it is really up to you.

TL;DR
I live in the west.
Waking up early does suck and it might even be worse than highschool for you. More likely than not youll be at uni 4-5 days a week. (I come home at 7pm most days)
Try adjust your timetable so your classes are in the afternoon, make an art of it.
It's alright to miss the odd class if you listen to a recording.
Time flies on the train if you read a book (if thats your thing) or you can read your textbook or do your work so you have less at home.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »
Thanks for the advice kingpomba

Cos I go to Melbourne High, I'm kinda used to getting up early for the train in the morning anyways, but then again you do get home later.

On a side-note, I thought your timetable was predetermined depending on what course you do (and that the student has no say in when their classes are scheduled)?

And just out of curiosity, in your signature, it says you had the option of Science @ Melbourne! Is there a reason why you chose Monash over Melbourne in this instance? Is Monash a better uni than Melbourne in terms of its science faculty?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:35 am »
Nah haha it says S2 as in semester 2, i might transfer.

It isn't predetermined.

Go to MUTTS(One half of the Monash timetabling system) and log in as a guest(theres a link to do that near the bottom). Click 2011 timetable on the left, view unit and just type in a unit, BIO1011 for example. Add it to "View this unit" and click generate grid timetable down the bottom.

The unit guide for BIO1011 says you only need to go to 2 lectures are week, lectures are in pink if you didnt figure it out. There are more than 2 there so the rest are repeats, you need to pick one that starts with 01 and one that starts with 02. I chose 12pm monday and 4pm thursday. So there is room to choose (mostly).

Some subjects will only have one stream and one set of times however, especially the less popular subjects with a lower amount of students. Although you can be pretty much guaranteed that general subjects will have a large amount of students and a couple different times, like biology and chemistry, general things like that a lot of people need to take.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology

InitialDRulz

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 11:51:10 am »
Wait, melbourne high? Add an additional 20 minutes of travel and then you get to Clayton haha

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »
I'm not sure where melbourne high is but i get off at flinders and it takes 30 minutes from there at least and then you gotta wait around for a bus

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----

Chromeo33

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »
Nevermind guys, I think after today's weather I'm set to choose Melbourne.

If we ever get another day like today, I'd rather be coming home from the CBD than Clayton (and it's Melbourne so we'll most likely get days like this again!)