Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:03:02 am

Author Topic: working to pay off uni fees  (Read 5723 times)  Share 

QuantumJG

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Applied Mathematics Student at UoM
  • Respect: +82
Re: working to pay off uni fees
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »
^  an example

ONE of Australia's major banks is planning to introduce "Muslim-friendly" loans that do not charge interest, to comply with Sharia law.

http://www.news.com.au/nab-to-introduce-introduce-muslim-friendly-loans/story-0-1225734465168

This is absurd!

When did Australia adopt Sharia Law?
2008: Finished VCE

2009 - 2011: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Physics)

2012 - 2014: Master of Science (Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics)

2016 - 2018: Master of Engineering (Civil)

Semester 1:[/b] Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Engineering Risk Analysis, Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering

Semester 2:[/b] Earth Processes for Engineering, Engineering Materials, Structural Theory and Design, Systems Modelling and Design

lexitu

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:42:55 pm »
Being a multicultural country I see nothing wrong with accommodating for people with different religions. Not like it's impinging on the way others live plus it puts NAB at a competitive advantage. We're not adopting Sharia Law, we are just catering for it.

sgeorge

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:48:15 pm »
Well, I suppose it is an interesting alternative to a 'normal' loan...

But I'm not sure if it has been followed through and actually introduced.

2009-2010: VET Multimedia | Methods CAS | English | Legal Sudies | National Politics | Accounting | VET IT

2011-2013: BBIS at Monash - IBL Stream

Semester 1: Principles of Accounting & Finance | Computer Programming | Business Information Analysis | Intro. to Business Information Systems

Duck

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 11:20:14 pm »
What I read of that article did not really make sense to me - surely the bank flipping the property immediately for a higher price is usury but regardless if there are loans given only to Muslims then all hell will be raised mark my words.
EDIT: Wait, how did your parents purchase your house?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:28:12 pm by Duck »

Leena

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • God gives and forgives, man gets and forgets.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 11:49:42 pm »
I don't personally know much about those Islamic loans. I'm not planning to buy a house any time soon, but I do hope to look into it soon because I don't know if it is actually usury and it has just been twisted and turned to make it look like its not, or if it is actually not usury.

As for loans and paying back with regards to inflation, it is not permissible in Islam. If you loan someone money, they must give you back exactly what you lent them, whether the value went up or down.
So as much as I can, I will hopefully stay away from any loans with interest or inflation or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:28:56 am by Leena »
Bachelor of Arts at Monash.

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 12:06:20 am »
There are plenty of non-Islamics that are forced to follow Sharia law.

Anyway...

As for a job, I suggest something that won't drive you crazy, hence not fast food
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 02:55:34 am »
^  an example

ONE of Australia's major banks is planning to introduce "Muslim-friendly" loans that do not charge interest, to comply with Sharia law.

http://www.news.com.au/nab-to-introduce-introduce-muslim-friendly-loans/story-0-1225734465168

This is absurd!

It's not that absurd really. It just means instead of paying interest, the borrower pay more at the start. i.e. they buy a house worth $300,000 from the bank at $500,000. The bank still earn the same money on it (somewhat).

This tolerance is good, it's just a result of a certain number of people of a particular demographic. Vegetarian and vegan restaurants (e.g. Lord of the Fries) stem from the same kind of thing. The only time it becomes absurd is when a non-Muslim is forced to take out a loan that complies with the Sharia Law, THAT will be ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:30:09 am by Mao »
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:35 am »
Anyway, the best job for a first year student can get, if you can get it, is some job on your campus because then it's really convenient and they are flexible because they obviously know that you're a student and need to study.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 09:58:13 am »
Notetaking is a great job to have - it's on campus, flexible (you choose the lectures you want to help out with), pays well ($25/hour), and if you're lucky (like I was) you might end up notetaking for a subject you have to do later - voila, ready-made notes for when you study it.

Further info:
Quote from: http://www.adm.monash.edu.au/sss/equity-diversity/disability-liaison/teaching-staff/registration.html
Notetakers in Lectures

The note taking service is available to students registered with the Disability Liaison Unit (DLU).  It aims to provide students with an accurate summary or representation (rather than a complete record) of information/material delivered in lectures, tutorials or practical/laboratory classes.

The notetaking service is not designed to substitute for the participation of students in lectures/tutorials.  The notetaking service is available to students who are unable to access notes in any preferable method due to the nature/impact of their disability/condition on their studies.  The notetaking service does not include explanation, coaching or tutoring assistance.

Eligibility for the notetaking service is determined by a Disability Liaison Officer once a student has obtained appropriate documentation and it is deemed the most appropriate option among available resources.

If you're interested, you can contact them
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 05:53:07 pm »
Notetaking is a great job to have - it's on campus, flexible (you choose the lectures you want to help out with), pays well ($25/hour), and if you're lucky (like I was) you might end up notetaking for a subject you have to do later - voila, ready-made notes for when you study it.

Further info:
Quote from: http://www.adm.monash.edu.au/sss/equity-diversity/disability-liaison/teaching-staff/registration.html
Notetakers in Lectures

The note taking service is available to students registered with the Disability Liaison Unit (DLU).  It aims to provide students with an accurate summary or representation (rather than a complete record) of information/material delivered in lectures, tutorials or practical/laboratory classes.

The notetaking service is not designed to substitute for the participation of students in lectures/tutorials.  The notetaking service is available to students who are unable to access notes in any preferable method due to the nature/impact of their disability/condition on their studies.  The notetaking service does not include explanation, coaching or tutoring assistance.

Eligibility for the notetaking service is determined by a Disability Liaison Officer once a student has obtained appropriate documentation and it is deemed the most appropriate option among available resources.

NOOO NOW I HAVE MORE COMPETITION FOR THAT JOB!!!!

=(

seriously though, great job to have... great way to sus out subjects who might/might not enjoy as well I imagine

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »
Definitely. Now I know I am going to absolutely hate evidence. >_>

Also a good way to meet new people. And don't worry lynt they're always needing more people, especially to pick up the 4-6pm classes at Caulfield that nobody at Clayton wants to do :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:42 pm »
^  an example

This is absurd!

We haven't "adopted Sharia Law," It's merely a product that caters to those who desire to follow Sharia Law. That's like saying pizza hut have "adopted vegetarian law" by offering a vegetarian option. :P

Leena

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • God gives and forgives, man gets and forgets.
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:27 pm »
LOL @ rustic_metal

thanks for the job tip ninwa
definitely gonna look into it
Bachelor of Arts at Monash.

dyaner

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »

Further info:
Notetakers in Lectures

The note taking service is available to students registered with the Disability Liaison Unit (DLU).  It aims to provide students with an accurate summary or representation (rather than a complete record) of information/material delivered in lectures, tutorials or practical/laboratory classes.

The notetaking service is not designed to substitute for the participation of students in lectures/tutorials.  The notetaking service is available to students who are unable to access notes in any preferable method due to the nature/impact of their disability/condition on their studies.  The notetaking service does not include explanation, coaching or tutoring assistance.

If one of you get this job, it's likely I'll be one of the people who requires that assistance haha

Edit: Oh crap no. I forgot this is a Monash thread... and an old one too.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:50 am »
anyway, for religious purposes i can't take out a loan and pay back more than what i borrowed.
I'm not sure if your muslim or belong to another religion but i'll assume you're muslim.

I have a muslim friend and i've also read a decent amount about this and talked it through with them.

The general idea was to prohibit interest because it would unfairly make the lenders rich and make it hard for poor people to obtain loans creating debt slavery in effect. So you must look at this prohibition in the spirit it was made. I don't think prohibiting an arrangement such as this was the focus.

The loan does not go up because of interest nor does the government make any extra money off it.

Take this for example:

"And whatever Riba(Interest/Increase in value) you give so that it may increase in the wealth of the people, it does not increase with Allah"  ar-rum:39

The government isn't making any extra money off it.

The loan is indexed by the CPI (consumer price index) to adjust the value of the money. For example 20 dollars was worth a lot more 100 years ago than now because of inflation. You can even play around with that concept by using the inflation calculator.

For example as the calculator states "A basket of goods and services valued at $12000 (i assume your course is 4000 a year for 3 years) in year 2005 , would in year 2010 cost $13,893.68" the basket of goods is just there to provide context because there are a couple different economic measures used to adjust for inflation, the basket of goods just helps people think about this one better. As you can see over 5 years (3 years of degree + 2 years of work paying off a little) the value of the money rose. If it wasn't adjusted you'd be kind of charging them negative interest. Adjusting for inflation makes it netural and the government isn't making any more money, you aren't being charged any more or any less.

If they didn't index it to adjust to the value of money and to counteract inflation you'd actually be ripping the government off and paying back *less* than you should of.

You are paying exactly the same it's just its adjusted to account for inflation.

You may disagree with my interpretation but i believe it is fine.

If you want to talk about it more you can PM me if you wish.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:11:06 am by kingpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research