Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:20:54 am

Poll

Do you think artistic expression is a good way to let off steam?

Heck yeah - I'm in for this!
Nah, I'm good.
I'd love to, but I have no time. :,(

Author Topic: AN's Fortnightly Art Challenge!  (Read 62504 times)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
AN's Fortnightly Art Challenge!
« on: May 30, 2018, 07:51:17 pm »
+27
Helloooo fellow ANers!

It is proven through multiple studies that stress is reduced by creation, such as cooking, drawing, sculpting, photography, building and writing – and that skill level or amount of originality doesn’t matter. The process of creation is believed to lower cortisol levels, which can help a person think clearer and therefore perform better in academic studies. *hint hint* 😉

A lot of people decide that art is not for them – that they’re ‘bad’ at drawing, or maybe just don’t have the time because they’re stressed about studies. But the thing is, making time for yourself to do something you can work with your hands, develop and adapt, is actually extremely important and can help improve your mindset, especially in those times where you feel bogged down and heavy with the load of SAC after SAC, assessment after assessment.

So this is a place created for people of all skill-sets and experience – a fortnightly challenge, one topic, a million ideas. It might be mainly a drawing club, but there’s really no rules; if you feel like drawing isn’t for you, why not try compiling a playlist of songs that relate to the topic, typing up a short story, or snapping a photo with personal meaning? The only rule is that you share it with us here whenever you finish the challenge – just post a pic or scan or whatever you’ve done and be proud of what it took to make it! Because no matter if you’re drawing stick figures, or something that should be hung in a museum, it should be something you’ve done to de-stress.

So, without further ado, the next two week’s topic is…
wait for it…
Memories

Can’t wait to see what people come up with! Posting for this topic closes on the 13th of June.
Happy creating!

If anyone needs information on how to post their works, PM me. 😊
Not sure if people are going to get on board but if they don’t I blame you, Caleb.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: AN's Fortnightly Art Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 10:24:03 am »
+4
Really love this!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:47:34 pm »
+15
Might as well kick things off! ;D

(TW: Death)
This particular sketch is based off an old picture of my aunt, who passed on 6 years ago today (due to cancer), and I hold some great memories with her and miss her dearly. (That's where it ties in with the theme ;) )
I'm nowhere near good enough to draw eyes, noses and mouths, so I've left them as basic as I possibly can, but still enjoy <3

Spoiler

2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:20:36 pm »
+5
Might as well kick things off! ;D

(TW: Death)
This particular sketch is based off an old picture of my aunt, who passed on 6 years ago today (due to cancer), and I hold some great memories with her and miss her dearly. (That's where it ties in with the theme ;) )
I'm nowhere near good enough to draw eyes, noses and mouths, so I've left them as basic as I possibly can, but still enjoy <3

Spoiler

Woohoo! Amazing to have you on board, insanipi.
I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, but glad you treasure the memories.
A brilliant start to the thread! <3

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:51:18 pm »
+11
This is such a brilliant idea!! Love it :D

A huge turning point for my life was moving to the US. I met a lot of people, faced a lot of totally new challenges, and worried a heck of a lot about losing things from the past.

The three I drew are some of my best friends, and my age when I met them. With each of them, our friendship survived our going our separate ways, whether it be due to graduation or moving countries. I’ll forever treasure the memories we made.

And it’s gonna take a lot more than 10,000km of ocean to stop a lifelong friendship!

Spoiler

Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:11 pm »
+4
This is such a brilliant idea!! Love it :D

A huge turning point for my life was moving to the US. I met a lot of people, faced a lot of totally new challenges, and worried a heck of a lot about losing things from the past.

The three I drew are some of my best friends, and my age when I met them. With each of them, our friendship survived our going our separate ways, whether it be due to graduation or moving countries. I’ll forever treasure the memories we made.

And it’s gonna take a lot more than 10,000km of ocean to stop a lifelong friendship!

Spoiler

That drawing is adorable!!! <3
And a meaningful description to boot!
Love it <3
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 02:06:37 pm »
+14
Hey all!
Here's my memory - I did it on my little whiteboard.
I was remembering my mother when she was pregnant with my little siblings, and the wondrous feeling of knowing there's a baby in there somewhere. I remember putting my hand on her tummy and feeling a little hand or foot pressing back. With that in mind, here's my little stylised sketch. :)

Spoiler
There's one more day to put in your art for the topic 'Memories'! Thanks to the wonderful people who shared their memories with us earlier.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:14:44 pm by secretly_a_poet »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »
+8
I cheated and used Paint for this because I can't find my coloured pencils lol, add that to the shopping list.

It's pretty simple, but y'know, it's about the journey not the destination. Btw that's meant to be a really shitty love heart, representing how healthy relationships -- both romantic and platonic -- can cut through all those shitty, murky memories in your head.

Memories

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:04:14 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »
+10
So I actually intended to take a photo, but as per usual I left it to the last minute and the photo idea won't work given it's been raining.

So instead you all get to enjoy my *fabulous* artistic ability.

I can't draw from memory so this is based off a photo from a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It's of me and my oldest and youngest brothers. I think I got the expressions okay but my mouths and noses are a bit off to be fair we were both missing teeth at the time which made it a bit hard.

When my siblings and I were little we used to go sleep in our parents bed when we were sick. There was this one night in particular when me and all of my brothers ended up in their bed. I can't remember why exactly, I wasn't sick, I think one of my brothers might have been and he woke the rest of us up or something. Anyway there was 7 of us (my sister slept through it) all squashed in this Queen size bed. This photo isn't from that night, but it's around the same time and it's one of the few happy memories I have of my whole family before my parents started fighting.

drawing

original photo

2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:30:44 am »
+8
Ok so entries close today and I don’t have much time on my hands (thanks STUVAC!) so I added the extra challenge of writing this in 15 mins. So here it goes:

A patchwork of memories
If memories were tangible texts then my most recent dreams would be a piece of patchwork literature. Snippets extracted from events past. Copied. Pasted. Stitched together into something new. Repeated. Replaying events over and over.
Realising my flaws. If only I had done this instead... But I didn’t. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn’t.
Trying to grasp the lights within. The pep talks that followed. “Self love, self trust and self confidence” he would repeat over and over, as a way of either drilling it into my head, or, as humans do, because he’s talking on the spot. His point continuously circling back, but he keeps talking, because the only way to move forward is to go back.
And then there’s the works of fiction, constructed from the past. Runnning down the pitch in a fast break. Catching the ball. Maybe even scoring a goal.
A series of short films constructed from the archives of my memory, dancing through my brain all through the night.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 03:33:00 pm »
+4
Great entries, everybody! There's still until midnight to post on the first topic, but here's the next one (cutoff at June 27th)
wait for it..
WAIT FOR IT
Myth and Legend
Ready? Go!

edit: Thanks insanipi, JTrudeau, Calebark, PhoenixxFire, Potatohater and Maya24 for your amazing entries! It was great to see some shared memories and great works. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:06:11 am by secretly_a_poet »

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:00:55 pm »
+5
I thought I might share this with you all. It's more of a prose.

Sometimes in the midst of all the crowd. The tests the never-ending quiz sacs. Some days where where you're only trying to get to the end of the day. You forget to look at the big picture. You're too engrossed in the present. Passing excelling doing what it needs to be done. Drowning. Drowning from school and stress. So many tears shed. Broken down. Late night thoughts filled with anxiety. Afraid afraid of the future. It's at this moment where you need to take a step back and look at the big picture. This is your final year. Final moments spent with friends in the same class. Jokes playing games. You have to treasure these moments of laughter and deep conversations about life because this is the first of many lasts of senior year. You may not know it yet, but it may have been your last walk around the oval. Your last interactions with the younger year levels as we bury ourself's in textbook. Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture and enjoy the little moment because one day soon all that's left will be memories.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 09:36:46 am »
+11
Aaaand here we go! Today is the 25th, and this challenge concludes on the 27th - still 2 more days to go if you want to join!
I struggled a bit with this one, not because there wasn't enough ideas - there were too many! I spent a lot of time just trying to narrow down what I wanted to do. Then I watched Thor Ragnarok last night and the Norse mythology really got to me. I loooved the pegasi and the story of the Valkyries, so I decided to draw a pegasus as my mythological work.

Apologies for the awful quality, my scanner is still full-on broken. :( Also my signature down at the bottom is shitty because my hands are still shaking a lot, but I tried. :)
Pegasus yas

Thanks for being the beautiful people you are, AN.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 09:48:10 am »
+1
That is genuinely amazing work.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 05:54:08 pm »
+8
And here we are, at the conclusion of the topic 'Myth and Legend'! The topic is still open until midnight tonight, so if anyone has anything they would like to contribute, feel free to post it here. Or hey, if you felt you have something from the last topic, feel free to put that up, too. Thanks to those who have contributed thus far! :)