Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:18:27 pm

Author Topic: Ransom and Invictus Paragraph  (Read 1003 times)  Share 

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
Ransom and Invictus Paragraph
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:23:19 pm »
+1
Could you please check over this?
Thank you :)

The prompt was...

"forces that bind us together are stronger than the forces that divide them. discuss"

The contention was...

"Forces that divide us are stronger but can work to unite us."

The idea explored in this paragraph was...

"Internal forces like rage and prejudice, initially work to divide, but in the end cause the unification in ourselves, or between others

2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Ransom and Invictus Paragraph
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 04:06:12 pm »
+1
There's not much here to go on, so I'm not sure how you're going to arrive at a sort of resolution of the prompt.  However ... yes, I can see that you could argue successfully that 'the forces that divide' are strong (these might be physical forces like the Greek army and inspired leadership like Hector's) or they could be personal 'forces' like a desire for revenge (like the argument between Achilles and Agamemnon) or a reaction to grief (like Achilles after the death of Patroclus). In "Invictus" these forces that foster division are the memories of the apartheid regime and the street riots and imprisonment of Mandela (that has eroded his family life), as well as the rejection by the blacks of the Springboks being South Africa's national team. Madela argues with the sports council to maintain the status quo with the Springboks and his imprisonment helps him "understand my [his] enemy". The "terrorist song" that means "God bless South Africa" is finally accepted by the rugby players. The players own sporting status separated them from potential black fans but this also gives them the opportunity to do something special like the rugby clinic in the black townships. Hope this is helpful.