Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:35:02 am

Author Topic: Tuitions /Medicine course  (Read 3657 times)  Share 

Phoenix11

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +29
Tuitions /Medicine course
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:15:45 pm »
+1
Hello guys!
How are you all?
I'm trying to get into medicine and I was just wondering if anyone went to Medview or Medentry for tuition and how their experience was?
Also, does anyone know any Medical entry preparation that can get you into a medicine course?
Contact details are appreciated.
Thank you so much guys!
 :) :)

Phoenix11-
Work hard in silence and let your success be your noise.
😄

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: Tuitions /Medicine course
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:36:01 pm »
+5
I think a lot of people who are serious about getting into medicine use medentry as they are very well known and have permeated the community through word of mouth. Whether they actually live up to their reputation of being ‘number one for UMAT/Interview training’ depends entirely on who you talk to. The only thing I know for sure is that there are people who will do well in the UMAT without any preparation whatsoever, and that there are people who will do poorly in the UMAT even with extensive preparation. Obviously to maximise your chances of improving your base UMAT skill, you have to prepare, but this usually comes at significant financial cost.

Last year I did the medentry UMAT two day course which also came with the online package, and I honestly wouldn’t recommend doing the lectures. They wasted two days in the holidays, which is a lot of time in year 12, and mostly just rushed through content available on the LMS. I also didn’t properly utilise the online resources, however I do think that if you are proactive and organised you can get your money’s worth out of the distance package by doing all the drills and practice exams, treating the UMAT as another one of your subjects.
UAdel MBBS

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:30 pm »
+5
Hi Phoenix11
I’m doing the UMAT this year and after a lot of research I have decided to go with medentry. People will say it over and over again for a reason. They have so many resources that it is literally impossible to run out of questions, they’re experienced, there’s a forum, guides, plenty of drills and full practice exams (which many companies lack). All the things they offer is on their website, but I can assure you there is a lot! I personally chose the online package as it was the cheapest option and a lot of people recommended against paying for the UMAT workshops. I haven’t heard anything on medview so I can’t vouch for it but medentry I believe is your best option if you want to get into medicine! Good luck

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:00 pm »
+5
Hello! Pretty good, thanks for asking ;D

I used MedEntry for UMAT preparation and, to be honest, I personally found it quite helpful although I didn't use it to its full extent. There are a number of varying reviews regarding MedEntry and other preparation companies in general, where some people used their services a lot albeit receiving a low score and others not doing any preparation while receiving a high score. I recommend firstly finding all the free preparation materials you can find and getting materials from family or friends if they have any. This will allow you to get a feel of the style of questions and seeing how confident you are in doing three hour's worth of them. Youtube is a really good free resource, especially for practicing section 3 questions. If you want more practice, then you can consider these resources. But buying from these companies, whose services are more often than not really expensive, doesn't necessarily guarantee a competitive score - it really depends on what you do with your time and how well you use them.

However, entry into medicine is also dependent on your ATAR and often interview performance. I didn't buy any preparation company package for the interview, especially since MedEntry's Monash MMI course was about 1000 dollars!! I went to a free interview workshop held in the city and asked family friends and other current medical students for materials, just so that I can feel a bit more confident and be a little more familiar about how the whole process might go.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

Lyra7

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:51:32 pm »
+3
I oersonally used medentry however don't feel let down if you feel as if you are not improving or there comes a point when it seems like you are terrible in the percentiles. The 2 day course in the scheme of things didn't really help, but the amount of practice material helped me get used to styles of questions and UMAT ''thinking'' but it also depends a bit on natural ability. For me the interview really helped get me over the line but my UMAT wasn't too bad (90%)
2016: Biology [46]
2017: English [45] Economics [40] Chemistry [38] Latin [37] Methods [35]
ATAR: 99.00

2018-2023: Bachelor of Medical Science/ Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ Monash Uni

2022: Bachelor of Medical Science (Hons)

MMI tuition available