Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:20:45 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 72683 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: HSC Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2018, 02:37:09 pm »
+2
Hi All!
I'm currently going through past papers for the [Historical Period: Option J: Fourth Century Greece the Death of Philip II of Macedon] and I have no idea how to structure it. The question that I'm trying to do is "Evaluate the nature and impact of the Spartan Hegemony"

Any help would be greattt!!!
Hey! So look - I didn't study this option, so when it comes to the specific stuff you want to be including, I'm not going to be much help.
However, gut reaction when looking at that question is that a thematic essay would work quite nicely - so how did Spartan Hegemony impact the political/social/economic/religious/miltaristic/cultural landscape of Greece at the time? (you don't need to do all of them - 3 or 4 of the most important ones would do!).

Does that sound like it could work, based upon the work you have done in class? :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

DarthSamurai

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »
Hi i was doing my notes on Pompeii and Herculaneum(a bit late i know) and i normally do these with reference to a variety of notes from other people. I encountered an issue on the syllabus dot point private buildings.For it, i have seen people not only look generally at the features of Houses but some notes also make detailed notes about specific houses and villas, this is a lot of extra work, and i am curious on whether i should do it for myself. Will we ever need detailed examples on the contents of specific houses, like the house of the faun and tragic poet, or Villas, such as the villa of the papyri and Mysteries, or do you think generalized statements and whatever is shown in the sources will be enough to get me a good mark in the HSC?
Thank you so much to taking the time to read this, any advice/opinions are appreciated.

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2018, 10:08:48 pm »
+4
Hi i was doing my notes on Pompeii and Herculaneum(a bit late i know) and i normally do these with reference to a variety of notes from other people. I encountered an issue on the syllabus dot point private buildings.For it, i have seen people not only look generally at the features of Houses but some notes also make detailed notes about specific houses and villas, this is a lot of extra work, and i am curious on whether i should do it for myself. Will we ever need detailed examples on the contents of specific houses, like the house of the faun and tragic poet, or Villas, such as the villa of the papyri and Mysteries, or do you think generalized statements and whatever is shown in the sources will be enough to get me a good mark in the HSC?
Thank you so much to taking the time to read this, any advice/opinions are appreciated.
Hey! So the answer is kind of yes, kind of no.

You don't need to know the ins and outs of EVERY house in Pompeii and Herculaneum, but you should definitely know a few (from both towns). This is because they count as evidence, which is SUPER important for any history subject. Theres no point just providing generalised statements if you can't prove them, you need to back up all of your points, and that is going to be through knowing specifics. But yeah, long story short you don't need to go overboard and learn all of them, but at least a couple from each town would be really beneficial :)

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

DarthSamurai

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2018, 09:34:33 pm »
Yo,
another question, how should i make notes for dot point: Changing interpretations: impact of new research and technologies? Should I do it by listing and grouping New technologies or by doing specific projects. And what sorts of impacts should i write about, conservation/ analysis? Some specific advice would be nice or some notes.
Thank you so much in advance, for taking the time to read and answer this question

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2018, 09:44:26 pm »
+5
Yo,
another question, how should i make notes for dot point: Changing interpretations: impact of new research and technologies? Should I do it by listing and grouping New technologies or by doing specific projects. And what sorts of impacts should i write about, conservation/ analysis? Some specific advice would be nice or some notes.
Thank you so much in advance, for taking the time to read and answer this question
Hey! So its a bit tricky for me to say how you should write notes, as thats quite an individual thing imo, but just make sure that you don't lump everything together. Like with all the other sections, evidence is important, so you want to make sure that for every "general fact" you have in your notes, you have a project to back it up :)

In terms of impacts, i'd mainly be looking at the changing interpretations of specific things, e.g. how old/healthy the people who died were, functions of rooms and public buildings, etc. etc.  :)

Hope this helps,

Susie

CBakes

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12:43 pm »
Heya!
Quick question, in regards to the 15 mark mini essay for personalities, roughly how many points of evidence would you need in each of your paragraphs?
Thanks in advance!
Look if Buffy can stop the apocalypse, I can survive the HSC.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2018, 08:40:28 pm »
+1
Heya!
Quick question, in regards to the 15 mark mini essay for personalities, roughly how many points of evidence would you need in each of your paragraphs?
Thanks in advance!

Hey there!

Just like any other essay in Ancient, you need evidence for EVERY point that you make! Best bet to make around 2-4 points per paragraph depending on how much you can extract from your evidence. Would be super great if you manage to include all WAMA evidence (WAMA meaning Written, Archaeological, Modern, Ancient) but for some personalities, not all of them have written, archaeological, modern or ancient sources. Usually the go to evidence would have to be archaeological (as it is from during the time and is the most "legit") but as well as modern perspectives that provide an integrated viewpoint between the past and the present.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2018, 06:39:12 am »
Hello

Was just wondering if anyone could provide an outline of how they would answer this question: How did Hatshepsut’s background prepare her for her prominent role?

I tried answering it but I feel like I wouldn't have enough content to get 10 marks. I've only got her family background (Thutmose 1, Queen Ahmose, Amenhotep 1 and Thutmose 2)

Thank you

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2018, 05:59:01 pm »
+1
Hello

Was just wondering if anyone could provide an outline of how they would answer this question: How did Hatshepsut’s background prepare her for her prominent role?

I tried answering it but I feel like I wouldn't have enough content to get 10 marks. I've only got her family background (Thutmose 1, Queen Ahmose, Amenhotep 1 and Thutmose 2)

Thank you

Hey! I didn't study Hatshepsut for my personality study but 'how did X's background prepare X for their prominent role' is quite a flexible question for all ancient personalities.

Family is definitely a significant influence, as you mentioned. As for other factors, have you possible tried going down these routes?
- Egyptian political/social structures (can also link with Hatshepsut's family). Since her family is wealthy (I'm assuming is wealthy?- didn't study this personality as mentioned earlier), she would've at least have been taught by someone- allowing her to rise up the ranks since she had knowledge
- Egyptian concept of kingship/pharaoship (link back to family)
- Did her religious background help at all to her preparation to become a pharaoh?
- Administration of Egyptian empire?

I'm just translating my notes for Xerxes into Hatshepsut terms so please correct me if I'm wrong!

As for ten markers- yes family is definitely a huge factor for Hatshepsut's rise to prominence so don't be afraid to mostly write about this factor in the ten marker question. You can always bring in other factors such as social structure, religious background and administration of the Egyptian empire- but ultimately they will eventually lead back to Hatshepsut's family background.

Hope this helps in some way...
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »
+1
thanks beatroot!!

theyam

• Trendsetter
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2018, 05:54:56 pm »
Hey guys I was just wondering what you guys would talk about for this dot point for NKE: maintenance of the empire, amenhotep II and thutmose IV  We didn't really go through it in detail in class.

Thank you

laura.scott

• Adventurer
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »
Hi,
For personalities, I'm unsure what I am supposed to include in the "Ancient and modern images and interpretations of Julius Caesar"

Are we supposed to say:
"Gelzer interpreted Caesar as a political opportunist exploiting political chaos to impose his own will, due to Gelzer's context of rising dictators of WWII."
OR
"Gelzer writes that Caesar was a political opportunist and exploited the chaos to impose his own will." 

Hope this makes sense
Thank you

jerryrocks

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2018, 01:06:29 pm »
Hello,

Really need guidance to respond to this question: Describe Agrippina’s relationship with Nero.
Should I compare her relations before he ecame princeps and after (deteriorated relationship)?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2018, 11:18:20 pm »
+1
Hello,

Really need guidance to respond to this question: Describe Agrippina’s relationship with Nero.
Should I compare her relations before he ecame princeps and after (deteriorated relationship)?
Hey, Welcome to the forums!!  ;D

Because it’s a describe question it just needs to be in a narrative style setting out what their relationship was like. I think you could possibly split it into two different paragraphs: the initial very positive relationship and the deterioration of their relationship.

Some things you could talk about are:

Positive relationship:
- This could include prior to him becoming Princeps and the initial years of his reign.
- She was very influential in his ascension as Princeps: he was groomed for success since birth through her marriage to Claudius, the adoption of Nero by Claudius, & by placing Burrus/Seneca as advisors. Even going as far as murdering Claudius to place Nero on the throne (instead of Brittanicus).
- The password ‘Optima Mater’ (‘the best of mothers’) that he used with the Praetorian guards.
- Initially acted as a co-ruler: attended a senate meeting and had a say in some political affairs/imperial business.
- She is viewed with Nero on coinage in equal power. In one coin, she is pictured side-by-side with Nero and equal in height. Another coin in 54AD presents Agrippina as a co-ruler alongside Nero.  Similarly, the Sabasteion relief in Aphrodisias depicts Agrippina crowning Nero.

Decline in relationship:
- Nero wished to be free from her control over him both politically and personally.
- Seneca and Burrus gradually replaced Agrippina as chief advisors & took control of administration & affairs.
- She saw Poppea Sabina as a threat to her power.  Agrippina attempted to seduce Nero to gain control.
- He began to decrease her power by banishing her from the palace & removing her guards. He made attempts on her life and eventually murdered her.
- “Agrippina was gradually losing control over Nero … her opposition was fruitless”-Tacitus
- “He terminated her great receptions by giving her a separate residence”-Tacitus
- “Nero himself was interested in exercising his power unrestricted by his mothers control”-Alston

Hope this helps!! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »
+5
Hey! Just noting that the Ancient Course has now changed, so look back on previous replies with a grain of salt - The content may be a tad different. However, it is still very much the same course, so definitely still useful! ;D