Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:38:56 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3617885 times)  Share 

quintonishere

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #13275 on: December 29, 2020, 12:30:04 am »
They are transmembrane proteins like the other two. Here ligand binding (or voltage changes) will cause a conformational change that opens the channel, allowing the ion/molecule to pass through.

What is that type of protein called?

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #13276 on: December 29, 2020, 06:06:04 am »
What is that type of protein called?
If they're affected (opened/ closed) by electrical impulses then they're called voltage gated ion channels. If they're affected by binding to ions they're called ligand gated ion channels.
We briefly touched on them later in AOS 1 when we did chemical messengers (specifically when covering neurotransmission).
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

ErnieTheBirdi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13277 on: December 29, 2020, 09:37:37 pm »
Hey everyone,
I did 3/4 biology this year and I'm in Year 11. The results come out tomorrow, I was just wondering does anyone know whether the scores we get tomorrow via email from vass is a scaled or raw score?

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #13278 on: December 29, 2020, 09:47:25 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,
I did 3/4 biology this year and I'm in Year 11. The results come out tomorrow, I was just wondering does anyone know whether the scores we get tomorrow via email from vass is a scaled or raw score?
I didn't do Bio this year, but I'm pretty sure we get the raw score but the score contributing to your ATAR next yr would have your Bio SS which scaled in 2020. So if you want to find out your scaled score for Bio just ask someone who got the same raw score as you and how it scaled for them. 

waterangel82

• Forum Regular
  • 'The world is quiet here.'
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #13279 on: December 29, 2020, 09:51:40 pm »
+1
I didn't do Bio this year, but I'm pretty sure we get the raw score but the score contributing to your ATAR next yr would have your Bio SS which scaled in 2020. So if you want to find out your scaled score for Bio just ask someone who got the same raw score as you and how it scaled for them. 

I agree with @Snow Leopard, you would only get your raw Bio study score this year.
2017 ATAR: 99.20

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #13280 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:19 am »
For this question would it be b or would it be inside the cells
Where is most of our total body water located?
A in blood
B in the interstitial fluid
C inside cells
D in the extracellular fluid

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #13281 on: December 30, 2020, 02:48:22 pm »
+7
For this question would it be b or would it be inside the cells
Where is most of our total body water located?
A in blood
B in the interstitial fluid
C inside cells
D in the extracellular fluid

Inside the cells (intracellular fluid)

2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13282 on: December 31, 2020, 01:36:06 am »
A patient urgently needs isotonic solution if I/v fluid- you have the choice of 0.9% NaCl and 5% dextrose in 0.45% NaCl- what fluid is better suited as an isotonic solution. What side effects would you expect if you has chosen the other fluid. Is the other fluid hypotonic or hypertonic?

For this question I don’t understand why 0.9% NaCl would be better suited and would this be right for the second part

The other solution 5% dextrose in 0.45% NaCl is hypertonic it would cause solutes to move from inside the cell to outside causing the patient to become  dehydrated.

miahkhan90

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13283 on: December 31, 2020, 03:05:05 pm »
What's better to use for help next year? Like is atarnotes, neap notes or cambridge best to use for help next year?

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #13284 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:07 pm »
+6
A patient urgently needs isotonic solution if I/v fluid- you have the choice of 0.9% NaCl and 5% dextrose in 0.45% NaCl- what fluid is better suited as an isotonic solution. What side effects would you expect if you has chosen the other fluid. Is the other fluid hypotonic or hypertonic?

For this question I don’t understand why 0.9% NaCl would be better suited and would this be right for the second part

The other solution 5% dextrose in 0.45% NaCl is hypertonic it would cause solutes to move from inside the cell to outside causing the patient to become  dehydrated.
For the first question, red blood cells (RBCs) have an NaCl concentration of 0.9%, and they have a glucose concentration of 5%. Even though the dextrose concentration in the second I/V fluid option equals the RBC’s concentration, the second I/V fluid option has a much lower amount, this would cause too much water to flow into the RBCs, resulting in hemolysis (the RBCs burst). The first I/V fluid, though, has the same NaCl concentration, so it would be isotonic.

In regards to your answer for the other question, it's what I mentioned about hemolysis. The lower concentration of NaCl in the second fluid makes it hypotonic with regards to the NaCl.

rozmaaate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13285 on: January 09, 2021, 07:32:47 pm »
Apparently glusose diffuses across the plasma membrane via a carrier protein . However some past vcaa exams say through a protein channel just wondering what is correct or whether it's possible to be penailised for saying one or the other

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #13286 on: January 09, 2021, 08:41:59 pm »
+4
What's better to use for help next year? Like is atarnotes, neap notes or cambridge best to use for help next year?
I used the atarnotes course notes & topic tests and biozone :) imo it's not necessary to have cambridge checkpoints or neap

Apparently glusose diffuses across the plasma membrane via a carrier protein . However some past vcaa exams say through a protein channel just wondering what is correct or whether it's possible to be penailised for saying one or the other
Glucose diffuses through specific glucose transport carrier proteins. While you wouldn't be penalised for saying channel/carrier I would write carrier protein just to be safe

Mod Edit: Merged Posts
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 01:14:40 pm by Erutepa »
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #13287 on: January 14, 2021, 04:42:56 pm »
could someone please explain this why is it divided by 1000 its going from millimoles to micromoles so shouldn't it be x 1000  and how do you convert from micrograms to grams

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #13288 on: January 17, 2021, 07:28:05 pm »
Hi! I hope I'm posting this in the right place but do we need to know cell theory and features of eukaryotic or prokaryotic cells bc its in the Heinemann Textbook yet not really mentioned on the study design (i think)?
Thanks
-bluebird  ;D
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #13289 on: January 17, 2021, 07:59:16 pm »
+7
Hi! I hope I'm posting this in the right place but do we need to know cell theory and features of eukaryotic or prokaryotic cells bc its in the Heinemann Textbook yet not really mentioned on the study design (i think)?
Thanks
-bluebird  ;D
you do need to know both of these things - they fall under this point in the study design:
"cells as the basic structural feature of life on Earth, including the distinction between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells"

the point "cells as the basic structural feature of life on Earth" here essentially refers to cell theory. Your textbook might go into a fair bit of depth on cell theory and so you probably won't need to know everything the textbook covers - but I imagine most of what it covers will be important to understand. :)

Also, you have indeed posted you question in the right place  :)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point