Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:04:31 pm

Author Topic: Choosing HSC subjects  (Read 7272 times)

f_tan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Choosing HSC subjects
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »
I need some advice on choosing my Yr 12 subjects :( - I'm currently doing 13 units, and my subjects are Advanced English, Modern History, Chemistry, Physics, SOR I, and 4U Math. I am really stuck between dropping Physics or Ext 2 Math, and I need to drop one of them because 13 units is taking too much of my time, especially ext 2 math. I like math, but I just feel so sick of it now because it's been taking up so much of my time - I'm not currently struggling to understand anything, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by math. I'm pretty set on the rest of my subjects except for physics because it's the one subject I'm kinda struggling with, but I do like learning the content. So I'm just kinda wondering, is it worth doing 4U of math, and what is the best amount of units to be on?

Thanks!

Cindy2k16

• Forum Regular
Re: Choosing HSC subjects
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:38 pm »
1. You don't have to drop anything if you don't want to! There is no 'best amount of units' for everyone. Some people are better off with 10, or 11, but there are people doing more than 11 units in Year 12 and you can too if you want to keep all your subjects. But if you're feeling overwhelmed with everything you have to do and can't handle doing so much, then perhaps dropping would be better

2. If youre going to drop something, then drop what you like least. You should be doing subjects you enjoy, after all you're going to be dedicating a lot of time to learning it and its a lot easier to learn things and do well at a subject if you actually like it.
I don't do 4U so i can't say if it's 'worth' doing, but if you find that you dont like it, then perhaps consider dropping it? If you enjoy physics then maybe you should keep it. Or the other way round if you like maths better.

It's okay if youre struggling a bit. The transition from year 11 to year 12 can be hard and the content gets more difficult and you might find it hard at first to cope, but you learn to deal with the new workload etc. Struggling now doesn't necessarily mean you'll be struggling forever :)
HSC 2016
English Adv- 89
Maths- 96
Maths Ext - 94
Biology- 94
Chemistry- 90
Physics- 91

ATAR: 98.30

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:46:23 pm »
I need some advice on choosing my Yr 12 subjects :( - I'm currently doing 13 units, and my subjects are Advanced English, Modern History, Chemistry, Physics, SOR I, and 4U Math. I am really stuck between dropping Physics or Ext 2 Math, and I need to drop one of them because 13 units is taking too much of my time, especially ext 2 math. I like math, but I just feel so sick of it now because it's been taking up so much of my time - I'm not currently struggling to understand anything, but I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by math. I'm pretty set on the rest of my subjects except for physics because it's the one subject I'm kinda struggling with, but I do like learning the content. So I'm just kinda wondering, is it worth doing 4U of math, and what is the best amount of units to be on?

Thanks!
Put it this way. Are you going to be bothered to put in the effort to 4U once you drop physics?

Because if you suspect that you're going to get hammered down by 4U and consequently not enjoy it then that seals the deal. Drop what you don't like, cause it won't pay off. Whether or not you liked it in the past doesn't have a strong impact on if you will or not in the future.

Only if you reckon, with enough confidence, that after you supposedly drop physics you'll suddenly like maths again should that be what you drop.

Also there isn't really an optimal amount of units. 11 has been a sterotypical favourite at my school but personally I did 10, and I know people who do 15+. It's all up to you

Scryptic

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Tempe High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:47:32 pm »
Hello,

Just started year 12 and I'm having this huge dilemma choosing whether to drop Legal or Physics since I have 14 units. I enjoy both but I find Physics much more difficult than legal. I ranked 1st for Legal and 2nd for Physics in Prelims. And i still have no idea what degree i want to do.
Advice?

jozzl

• Trailblazer
  • woo? lets do this??
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:00:34 pm »
Hello,

Just started year 12 and I'm having this huge dilemma choosing whether to drop Legal or Physics since I have 14 units. I enjoy both but I find Physics much more difficult than legal. I ranked 1st for Legal and 2nd for Physics in Prelims. And i still have no idea what degree i want to do.
Advice?

Hi i had a similar problem but with Visual arts and Music 1 (i couldnt have 3 majors too much). Put aside rank for a minute and consider what you think you'll enjoy in the long wrong. Compare negative aspects of both subjects such as seeing if you can see the future syllabus and the content that will be used in your HSC. If best asking teachers always helps. Most likely due to your rank they may pursue you to stay however ask them questions about what physics or legal could provide for you personally. Not knowing what degree you want to do is also fine. If possible think along the lines on what you are extremely passionately about. Such as you love writing in Legal but you have horrible issues with the class in Physics, those small things. All in all if one is more content heavy (i think physics is) and you already have a lot of units (or you do other sciences), maybe tackling the easier one is better in this case. Plus then you can perfect your skills in legal and not stress about the difficulty in physics.

Hope I helped!
* HSC subjects *
Advanced English || Ancient History || Society and Culture | Entertainment VET || Studies of Religion 1|| Visual Arts ||

ATAR Goal: 86.5 - 2D/3D Animation at UTS

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:06:45 pm »
Hello,

Advice?
In the assumption that you enjoy both to a pretty much equal extent, you should be dropping the one you have difficulty in. And that is physics.

If you can pick a favourite out of the two then that holds precedence. If you can't, then you need to play the game. Get rid of what you find more difficulty in and ignore any such connotations about 'scaling'. If you only found physics a bit harder than legal then the decision would be more blurred, but if it's that significant then it's more likely you'll perform better in legal studies by a mile.

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:19:19 pm »
I just chose the highest scaling subjects. Because high scaling = fun.

But then again, I did go with a stereotypical: Four unit mathematics, english (Advanced), physics and chemistry.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 07:21:33 pm »

But then again, I did go with a stereotypical: Four unit mathematics, english (Advanced), physics and chemistry.
I'll be honest. I absolutely HATE HSC physics now.

Real world physics is alright

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:54:21 pm »
+1

High scaling is useless without hard work ;) people emphasise it way too much in my opinion. Like, if you have the choice between a subject you enjoy and a subject that scales well, the one you enjoy all the way :) the scaling algorithms will punish people who do a course, hate it, and end up performing worse than the majority of the cohort :)

hermansia12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:05 pm »
I'll be honest. I absolutely HATE HSC physics now.

Real world physics is alright

Hahahaha and you don't need physics in your degree :P But its definitely true, HSC physics goes through some pretty abstract ideas, most of which my first year uni physics course didn't even touch.

However, I totally understand what you are going through- I had 13 units at the beginning of my HSC year but I chose to drop chemistry, even though I really liked the subject and keep 4U math to stay on the "ideal" 11 units.

Through this experience, I'd say that:
1. 4U math is for the hard core math enthusiasts  - You will be doing ALOT of math, EVERYDAY in order to even pass the subject. So be prepared for that if you do end up keeping the subject. However, it does go through heaps of helpful content for math heavy degrees like Engineering. Which leads me to my next point

2. Keep in mind the university degree you are after - There is usually a list of recommended subjects which will make your uni life a lot easier because you have background knowledge on a few of its courses.

3. Most importantly, pick something you ENJOY. Otherwise you will regret it so much when you have to spend 5 hours puzzling out the subject's content, during HSC and trials study

4. Keep scaling on the back burner. It counts for nothing if you don't do well in the subject

Hopefully this helps :) I wish you all the best in your studies
Economics: 91
English Advanced: 90
Studies of Religion 1: 46
Mathematics Extension 1: 88
Mathematics Extension 2: 73

ATAR: 96.05

Currently studying: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Hons)/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW

hermansia12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:11:56 pm »
+1
High scaling is useless without hard work ;) people emphasise it way too much in my opinion. Like, if you have the choice between a subject you enjoy and a subject that scales well, the one you enjoy all the way :) the scaling algorithms will punish people who do a course, hate it, and end up performing worse than the majority of the cohort :)

Yes! I definitely agree with this! And its also not fair to the rest of the cohort if the bad marks are as a result of not studying a subject you don't like as this can drag down their marks too.
Economics: 91
English Advanced: 90
Studies of Religion 1: 46
Mathematics Extension 1: 88
Mathematics Extension 2: 73

ATAR: 96.05

Currently studying: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Hons)/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:59 pm »
Hahahaha and you don't need physics in your degree :P But its definitely true, HSC physics goes through some pretty abstract ideas, most of which my first year uni physics course didn't even touch.
Well I mean, good riddance with physics for me :P

It seems cool but definitely not something I want for a living.

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:06:24 am »
i agree, picking subjects you enjoy and want to study and learn from makes it alot easier!
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

katnisschung

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:49:34 pm »
Currently having a dilemma about which subject i should drop.
I'm taking eng 2u, maths 2u, bio, physics, french cont. and senior science
i just took up senior science this year (its only offered as a yr 12 course)
i absolutely hate it but i've looked at the content and seems fairly basic and easy
for me to do well in cos i take 2 sciences and the content is watered down.

im tossing up between dropping senior science and french provided that i do well
in my physics exam later this term. I really enjoy physics but i didn't do particularly
well becos i slacked off in yr 11 and really didnt understand the electricity unit (ohm's law problems only)

i did fairly well at french but it is definitely getting harder esp because we are tackling harder topics
(e.g. immigration) and it takes up a lot of my time but i definitely did better in it than in physics.

should i keep 12 units or drop down to 10?
definitely see the safety net of keeping 12 (until i tackle motors and generators next year... this is the topic i fear the most for physics) but if i had 10 i would have much more time to focus on my other subjects

thanks!
get me out of here

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 08:59:31 pm »
Currently having a dilemma about which subject i should drop.
I'm taking eng 2u, maths 2u, bio, physics, french cont. and senior science
i just took up senior science this year (its only offered as a yr 12 course)
i absolutely hate it but i've looked at the content and seems fairly basic and easy
for me to do well in cos i take 2 sciences and the content is watered down.

im tossing up between dropping senior science and french provided that i do well
in my physics exam later this term. I really enjoy physics but i didn't do particularly
well becos i slacked off in yr 11 and really didnt understand the electricity unit (ohm's law problems only)

i did fairly well at french but it is definitely getting harder esp because we are tackling harder topics
(e.g. immigration) and it takes up a lot of my time but i definitely did better in it than in physics.

should i keep 12 units or drop down to 10?
definitely see the safety net of keeping 12 (until i tackle motors and generators next year... this is the topic i fear the most for physics) but if i had 10 i would have much more time to focus on my other subjects

thanks!

Hey Katniss! Assuming that you definitely want to drop something, drop senior science. Why?

i just took up senior science this year (its only offered as a yr 12 course), i absolutely hate it

There is absolutely no benefit in keeping a subject you hate. Even though it might be easy, trust me, in the long run you won't do well if you hate it :)

On whether or not you want to drop something, give this a read!