Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:18:11 am

Author Topic: HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING NEURAL TRANSMISSION PLEASE  (Read 861 times)  Share 

a212345

HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING NEURAL TRANSMISSION PLEASE
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:03:42 pm »
Hi there,
I have a SAC on Monday
Ive done a bit of work on neural transmission so I'm assuming it will be on there
but the thing is i dint really understand it and I don't know how to draw a diagram of it either?

any help will be greatly appreciated  :)
Thankyou

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING NEURAL TRANSMISSION PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 10:21:43 pm »
Hi there,
I have a SAC on Monday
Ive done a bit of work on neural transmission so I'm assuming it will be on there
but the thing is i dint really understand it and I don't know how to draw a diagram of it either?

any help will be greatly appreciated  :)
Thankyou

What specifically are you trying to understand?

There are lots of diagrams available on google images that might help you, as well as any diagrams in your book. Maybe show us what you've got so far?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Karapl13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING NEURAL TRANSMISSION PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:25:01 pm »
+1
With the process of neural transmission, each part of the neuron plays a particular role

Dendrites - (the tree branch like things on the neuron) receive neurotransmitter chemicals from the pre synaptic neuron. They will then send these chemicals to the soma (the round substance in the middle of the neuron)>

Soma - circular thing in the center of the neuron. Its role is to process the information from the neurotransmitter chemicals and determine whether to send that information to the next neuron. It will send this information down the axon (which is the long tube thing at the end of the pre-synaptic neuron).

At the end of the axon terminals, there are these things called axon terminals which hold the terminal buttons. These contain vesicles of neurotransmitters that are released into the synapse (which is the small gap between neurons)

The neuron where neurotransmitters are released from into the synapse is called the presynaptic neuron. The neuron that receives neurotransmitters is called the postsynaptic neuron. Once this neuron has received the neurotransmitters, they will bind to the dendrites on itself and the process starts again