Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:23:47 am

Author Topic: "Scaling doesn't matter, choose subjects you like" = BS?  (Read 3363 times)

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
"Scaling doesn't matter, choose subjects you like" = BS?
« on: February 05, 2022, 09:51:39 pm »
I was playing around with the atar calculator.

I had three tests. The first was with all subjects that scaled-down, the second with a mix of subjects that scaled-down and up. The third was with subjects that all scaled up*.

The results speak for themselves, really.

*EDIT: Biology didn't scale up, nor down, though.

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
Re: "Scaling doesn't matter, choose subjects you like" = BS?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 10:08:24 pm »

I had three tests. The first was with all subjects that scaled-down, the second with a mix of subjects that scaled-down and up. The third was with subjects that all scaled up*.

The reason why people suggest subject selection shouldn't be based merely on scaling but enjoyment/prereqs is because you are more likely to perform better in a subject you have geniune interest in (even after scaling).

Of course you will achieve a higher aggregate (therefore atar) if you score the exact same in the subjects you don't like (but have higher scaling) to the subjects you do like (that have lower scaling) - but in theory you would score higher in the subjects you are interested in and are motivated to study in.

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 11:16:50 pm »
A) You put the same scores in...you will do better in subjects you like because people 1) Typically  what they find easy and 2) Will be more motivated to study and enjoy it.
B) The field you want to go into in uni may have preresiquites that would relate to it, so doing subjects you like to get into a field you like is more important than doing high scaling subjects because then you wouldn't be able to get in to ur prefered course, the whole point of an atar to begin with.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 02:28:38 pm »
Both 1729 and mabajas are spot on there. This is my preference when it comes to subjects:

1) Uni prerequisites - This is top priority for me and should be for you if you are planning on going to uni. Make sure you try to like the subject/s and try to do well in them
2) Subjects I like - Do whatever you like because you will be more passionate about them. That is NOT bs and rather a fact. If you hate bio but you don't need it, maybe don't do it (unless you're doing med in which case I really urge you to take it).
3) "Good" subjects - Now, I take scaling into consideration. This should only take up one or two subjects out of all of your subjects because these should be filler subjects for you. If you don't have these, that's fine and if you somewhat like these subjects, then you'll do much better.

Williamx213

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 03:38:51 pm »
high scaling subjects>>>>>>>

might be an unpopular opinion but doing all the high scaling subjects will get you a higher atar than doing subjects you "like"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 03:45:51 pm by Williamx213 »
2020 chinese sl
2021 eng, chem, spesh, meth, phys 90.80
2022 bdes @ unimelb

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 08:52:20 am »

Scaling is designed to even the playing field. Achieving a raw 30 across subjects is not comparable, as different subject cohorts have different levels of competitiveness.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Marin Kitagawa

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 02:22:13 pm »
Scaling is supposed to reward students for studying a harder subjects compared to others. However, think of scaling as a bonus. Do subjects you are good at as a priority and then factor the scaling in. Also, your ATAR goal should correspond what subjects you pick